Waiting In The Wings

Monday, August 29, 2016

Cross Cut

Cut and stitched the piece from my last post HERE.
Just needs quilting.



This is a tutorial from Debbie at A Quilters Table, and in her sidebar she has two posts -
Cross Cut showing 1 and Cross Cut showing 2, do go and check these out there are
some beauties!!

Lessons learned from making this:

1. when sewing the cut up sections
make sure you keep them in the orientation intended!
Botton left - this block should have been placed with the arm on the
right of the block pointing upwards towards
the block above, the corner would then have been better balanced.

2. next time I would make more  original blocks to
give myself a few more options and possibly use
lightly patterned fabrics for the background.

A larger one is definitely on my
agenda, the one above is 22" square and as a practice
piece I'm happy with it, great fun to play with.


The latest Kaffe Fassett book arrived in the book shop
late last week, wonderful photographs of the quilts
on location in Italy and a few are earmarked as possibles!
Now I'm waiting for the next book "Blooms"which
should be out next month.
Methinks I may need extra shelf space!!

Enjoy the week, I now need to decide which project/projects need
my attention for my week!




11 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, this turned out differently than I thought it would. A great small quilt to inspire.
Thanks for the book info.....I need to check this out :)

Sally Trude said...

I never would have thought that the solids would have turned out as well as they did though. They really look amazing mixed up.

Quiltdivajulie said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Teresa in Music City said...

It's beautiful! Love your colors, and the solids look great - they will make a great quilting canvas!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

The aqua background was a brilliant choice! It really is pretty.

Marie said...

This. Is. Gorgeous! Will the larger version have the same number of blocks or more of this size?

Julierose said...

Ohhhh, I love this one!! that turquoise background is just fluorescent!! hugs, Julierose

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely result!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Lovely. I've really enjoyed seeing all the cross cut quilts. I think the solids in subtly different values for the background are nice. They add a secondary block design. I'd like to make one, probably larger for a lap quilt size, when I get a chance.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What fun!! I wasn't expecting you to cut up your blocks. The result is wonderful. Gosh Kaffe is prolific with his books. As a lover of flowers I'm looking forward to his Bloom book.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have the 2 books on order too. I hope they are good.