Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Gypsy Wife - sections 8 and 9

Yes, sections 8 and 9 are together, at least for the moment. I'm not happy 
with the bottom block on the LH side, so there
may be a little time spent unpicking at some point.

It's just getting that balance right, trying not to have
too many dark blocks clustered nor too many light ones and I think
I've failed with the above mentioned block.


I felt as if I'd hit a brick wall with these two sections, don't know why, but I'm
not doing any more on this until the end of next week, maybe the brain
needs a break from gypsies!

I took myself off for a walk the other evening when I was feeling
particularly peeved off with the whole thing, just before dusk the sky was
a delight to see, good for the soul! After that I arrived home
feeling much less stressed.


This was the view as I walked along the ridge looking out to
Rangitoto in the harbour - I've decided to try and take that walk most evenings
just before dusk to blow away the cobwebs!

Hope you're all enjoying your week and your stitching.

Maureen

15 comments:

Julie said...

What a lovely view you have on your walks. Definitely a little cooler in the evenings now though.

Leeanne said...

Good to go for a walk and change of scenery and to cool off the things not going as wanted with the quilt.Lovely view!

Nancy J said...

a walk and a view like that soothes the troubled mind. I like symmetry, s would struggle to arrange the blocks. Lovely colours, bright and beautiful. Another walk and it will all fall into place.

Linda said...

Yes, walking is a great antidote to stress! Lovely view, no wond r you felt calmer by the time you got home. The Gypsy Quilt is looking great, such good bright colours and blocks.

Debbie said...

It is beautiful! I think you have good balance on the GW quilt. Try switching your photo to B&W to check the balance.

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a walk. Such beauty right at your feet. I think the quilt looks fine- you still have more to add. When I looked at it upside down, there was no problem area. I think if you take some time off from it, it will all come together. I could never have done one of these. My head would have exploded.

Julierose said...

Your gypsy is all a-whirl for sure...just beautiful -- rich colors blending so well together...early evening walks are calming. Beautiful view you have...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Taking a walk lets your mind wander with random thoughts and is a great stress reliever. I think it would be hard to figure out which colors and values you need next on that gypsy quilt.

Louise said...

Funny, I don't see too much dark in your layout. But what matters is that it makes YOU happy! The sky in your photo looks like a Dutch painting, with the soft yellows and dark grays. Beautiful!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Very colourful! I agree with Debbie, a b&w pic could show if you have enough contrast or not.

Janie said...

Lovely view, thanks for sharing. Walking always clears my mind.
Linda's idea sounds good, I'm going to remember that for help with contrast.

Monica said...

Gypsy Wife looks good to me, I don't see an issue with the balance. And I would tell you if I did! As long as the next section is not much lighter, then all is well. I think a break is the main thing you needed!

Sally Trude said...

Your Gypsy Wife is such a visual feast. I just love the big spinner block in the top row, and then all the fussy cut flowers are so much fun. And then your view on your walk is spectacular.

Ann said...

I do like the way Jen appears to randomly place blocks and details in her designs. And I love your lively colors.

Kaja said...

I hope that taking a break helps you resolve this. It has so many components I can see that getting the balance right would be a worry from time to time, but you have a good eye so I'm sure it will all end up fine. In the meantime, enjoy your walks and the lovely view.