Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, May 11, 2017

This and That

It's been a funny sort of week for me, not 
as in "ha ha" funny but a pretty frustrating one.

 I showed a photo of a book by
Judy Newman some time ago, beautiful old-fashioned sort
of quilts, soft colours. This week was the time
to begin one that I found particularly lovely.

I spent ages pulling fabrics - some below - and as I'm not known for my soft pastel colours
 it was difficult finding fabric to use, some are below but


when I had the first row in place on the wall, it just wasn't
me!! Didn't work at all, I needed a colour fix
so on to Section 10 of Gypsy Wife. Two small blocks sewn - one
obviously a bit on the too small side - and a few strips later
my tendonitis flared suddenly which put
paid to any more cutting or sewing, I made it just this far below.


I took a telephone call from the hospital where they asked me
to please come in for an appointment Friday (tomorrow), I needed
to be seen sooner than my scheduled appointment in a few
weeks time, so that didn't add to my week.

There was a bright spot yesterday with a package in the mail of two books
 ordered a couple of months ago.



The colour in these two is amazing, I think of the two my favourite
is New York Beauties and Flying Geese, full to bursting
with colour!
I intend to relax tomorrow before going to the hospital with these two.

So, not a productive week at all but I did take a photo
of one of my beautiful hibiscus


and hopefully I shall be back at the machine early next week,
fingers crossed!

Hope you've all had a good week with lots of quilting.

Maureen


24 comments:

Leeanne said...

Good that you found out the new project wasn't to your like before it became much more than some cut segments. Best wishes for the hospital visit. xxxx

Julie said...

You must have a beautiful garden. I am eyeing up that New York Beauty book, waiting for the library to get it first though. All the best for your hospital visit.

Clare M said...

Yummy books, hope your appointment goes well. Wish we could grow Hibiscus here like your beauties.

Nancy J said...

And if there might be waiting time, a book to peruse/read/or just drool over page by page. Hope your visit goes well. Hugs from a rainy Rangitikei.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Gosh you are a switched on Granny. I only just read about New York Beauties and Flying Geese. That book must be hot off the press!
Hope all goes well at Hospital.

Julierose said...

I like your row a lot and it does look very Gypsy-like.
I have been eyeing that log cabin book on Amazon...Hope all goes well with
your appointment...hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

Wow, great looking books to feed your spirit. Sending prayers and good wishes for the hospital visit and that all goes well.
I love your bold colors and fabric selections. I call it a signature. Believe me, it is hard to vary it or change what you do best :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Praying for your hospital visit. I understand about just not being able to move ahead on a project because it is not you. Once, I did a Grand Illusions mystery quilt and I could not bring myself to sew it together, even reusing the blocks as it bothered me so much. I sent it to someone who has a group that sews comfort quilts and they made it. Lovely strips.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Beautiful Hibiscus!! I hope your medical treatment goes well.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Here's to a less frustrating week ahead. I have the one book (new york beauties) and love looking at it (hoping to put it to use next year). I agree with Debbie -- staying true to who we are works the best. And Linda's comment rings SO very true for me as well.

gayle said...

I'll be crossing my fingers for you as well. Hoping you can get back to playing with all your luscious colors as soon as possible!

Ann said...

I hope your hospital visit goes well. At least you have some lovely new reading to while away the time.

Janie said...

Beautiful colors and ideas here, thanks for sharing.
Hope all goes well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

The 'new york' book looks really great! Hope all goes ok today, thinking of you.

Louise said...

I'm with you on the brights vs pastels. Those are lovely fabrics you started to cut, but its the saturated zinger colors that are inspiring! I hope everything goes well on your visit to the doctor.

Sally Trude said...

I have had a hard time finding good lights for my pineapple wedges too. And how dare you tempt me with that New York Beauty Beauty book that I have been resisting! And your hibiscus would make the perfect fabric to meet both our needs.

Monica said...

Well, hopefully they are just being overcautious at the doctor! And for now, just take it easy. :D

O'Quilts said...

Sorry on the hospital thing Let us know whats happening. Lovely fabric...sometimes when that frustration happens to me, I just read a book for awhile..xxoo

JoZart Designs said...

Hope your hospital trip works out for your good and look forward to some positive results.
It's good seeing your experiments and will be interesting to see good results from that diresction.
Good luck,
Jo

Kaja said...

Sometimes we have to take it easy whether we want to or not. While you can't sew you can read your lovely books and make lots of quilty plans, and hopefully you'll be better next week.

Raewyn said...

Hi Maureen, I hope the hospital tests went ok and you are feeling better this week....and that you get a chance to get back to your machine and fabric. I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration in your new books while you are resting! Interesting that you just couldn't 'do' the pastel-ly colours, but if it doesn't work for you, there's no point carrying on is there?

Rachaeldaisy said...

I hope you're okay. It's good to see you've got some good reading to inspire you. I count dreaming of quilts you want to make as productive creativity.

Charlotte Scott said...

Hopefully your hospital visit went ok and you are enjoying your new books. I love the look of them but I am a pastel person as well and think those first lot of colours you've gathered are just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

As always - love your colours. I used to love doing log cabin....maybe one day??