Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Strips Galore and Sew,Stitch,Snap,SHARE

We've had a lot going on around here so time at
my sewing machine has been almost non-existent,
however, I have made four more blocks today for my
Mardi Gras quilt.

I have a couple of tubs of scraps by the side of my machine,
chunks, clean up cuts, plain old left-overs from lots of quilts and


I'm just digging in and going with what comes out,


this strip was too wide but I just sew and cut to length,
 press, then use my ruler to trim to the width
I want.


After setting myself the target of making four blocks this afternoon
I now have 12 blocks, just another 24 to go! Blocks are 12" finished
and it goes without saying that most of these scraps are
my favourite bright and bold KF Collective fabrics, with a few
other additions from over the years.


 Still playing around with possible arrangements but had a break because
of this distraction arriving on our doorstep this morning,


four Quiltfolk magazines - I thought about this magazine when it first became available
but the cost had me hesitating,  decided to go for it last week and
when I checked on the subscription costs found they were also
offering the first four issues at half price - too good an offer to pass up.

Before linking for Sew,Stitch,Snap,SHARE   two 
rose photos.
A "Peace" rose opened for a few days and saved from the rain


and another photo from two days ago



That's it from me, hope you'll go and visit
Linda at Kokaquilts
and
for
week 17 of Sew,Stitch,Snap.SHARE
see you soon.

Maureen

21 comments:

Leeanne said...

Fantastic quilt that could be named "The Dig and grab quilt"..........Your scrappy blocks have a very planned out look not like my scrappy quilts as I have such an eclectic collection of fabrics!

Debbie said...

The blocks are looking dazzling! Wonderful and bold. Great catch on the magazines. But the rose....so magnificent. I forget you are in summer while we don't have a leaf left on the trees and things are brown now. Thanks for sharing this Peace.

Julierose said...

Those 1/2 cabins look beautiful--and your rose is gorgeous--raining here today and gray out there. Peach is one of my favorite colors...and that is so soft and luscious looking...hugs for some fun sewing time Julierose

Louise said...

Lovely little log cabins, Maureen. And your roses are just gorgeous!

Linda Swanekamp said...

After I stopped ohh-ing an ahh-ing over the blocks and roses, I noticed for the first time your tag line "Creating with color and cloth". You certainly live up to it! Thanks for sharing.

Monica said...

So many good things in this post! Love the roses, and your quilt is coming together beautifully! It's hard to believe you are choosing randomly -- everything goes together so well! Smart shopping, I think. :D

Ann said...

So lovely. I must try Housetops again soon. Yummy!

Sally Trude said...

So beautiful and a wonderful vacation for the eyes. And while on that vacation, I noticed three elephants marching in a row, a carefully centered rose and pencils. Happy accidents or fussy cutting?

Julie said...

Your mardi gras blocks are beautiful, it definitely helps that your scraps are all such a cohesive mix. Those quilt books look very interesting. Thanks for linking to Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE.

Clare M said...

I agree with all of the above comments. What more can one say? Except the love of colour springs out from your blocks, and your love of roses from that beautiful Peace rose. Two opposites that are so eloquent and speak to each other.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gorgeous quilt blocks and roses!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Such a wonderful array of scrappy Kaffe colour! I have always loved this block, will you border or just bind it?

Kate said...

Very bright and fun blocks! The roses are gorgeous! Ours are probably done after the freeze this week.

gayle said...

Your colorplay is always inspiring! And I'm always happy to see a Peace rose - it was my grandmother's favorite rose and brings back happy memories of her.

Pip said...

I love your blocks, they look a bit like a maze. I will be interested to see how you like Quiltfolk, I've been debating whether to get a subscription or not, the postage cost is a bit of a dampener.

Janie said...

Your 'mardi gras' blocks are beauties!
Thanks for sharing your rose photos, what a treat.

Kaja said...

Your fabrics always work so well together, whatever you are doing with them. I too will be interested to hear what you think of the Quiltfolk magazines.

Carli The Quilter said...

I too have tubs of scraps. great string piecing blocks.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I really love how your blocks are looking. I'm hoping to dive into some of my scraps next year but I'm not sure I can just pick and sew without a plan.

Raewyn said...

Your blocks don't look scrappy at all - and sure don't look unplanned! Such good sizd blocks, your delightful quilt is growing really well. Are you ejoying the Quiltfolk magazine? Your roses are lovely - I'm wondering if the unidentified one (last post) could be Sharifa Asma - your photo of it looks a lot like mine???

MontyBear said...

Great way to use those colorful KF fabrics. I compare those pieces of small favorite fabrics to the cheese cake crumbs left on my plate.