Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, January 31, 2021

And here comes another squirrel


This particular squirrel is actually on my list of projects
but decided to jump the queue, photo kindly sent to me by a dear long time friend
of over 50 years in England! I think this will be my permanent post photo for
The Squirrel Club

Click on the squirrel graphic in my sidebar to visit Julie's blog
and read all about The Squirrel Club.

Many Trips Around The World has long been a favourite pattern
of mine and two days ago sorting through an assortment of
2 and 1/2" strips I decided to just make a start

and this is my first trial block. I photographed on black because both my 
grey squared and my cream design wall seemed to drain the colour
from my fabrics.

Top left square needs replacing because the strip was a fraction too short
that's on my list for tomorrow.
I really like the Kaffe Spot fabric as the dark diagonal so I gathered
more from my stash

to use as the diagonal in all the blocks.

There is another project currently being put together and I'll post
on that this coming Tuesday, I'm making good use of Julie's
plate system to try and keep some order with my pieces for this
one.


It's a short post from me this time  but I'll be here again come Tuesday but
before I head off to begin the evening meal here's a photo
from the garden


ideas here for a quilt colour scheme!

Stay Safe!!

Maureen



15 comments:

Nancy J said...

Beautiful with the darks, and that Calla, I have some deep golden yellow ones I had forgotten about, they grew shorter than usual so maybe need repotting into some new mix. Not much sewing here as we have been getting the kitchen all re-painted, wooden windows also, and the new lino goes down in a few weeks when he can fit us in. Golden orange glow against varied greens, perfect quilt inspiration.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving the look of your scrappy trip block! The Kaffe spots really are so effective!

Julierose said...

Very pretty Many Trips block--and that Canna Lily is so gorgeous--beautiful hues in it hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for squirrels! The KF dots are perfect for continuity in your TAW project. And hooray for paper plates and the way they preserve our sanity.

FlourishingPalms said...

These days, it seems a "Trip Around the World" quilt is on many bloggers' lists of want-to-makes. I've never made one myself, and it might not be possible with prints because my print stash is declining due to focusing more on making quilts from solids. So maybe someday, years from now, I'll use leftover solids to make a TATW quilt. You keep having fun with yours!

MissPat said...

I have a watercolor TAW put away somewhere that I should bring out to play (and finish). I stalled because of a lack of very light and very dark strips. Love the color of the Calla.
Pat

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Always love a good trip around the world. And the phrase jumped the queue is really good. I feel like that's how a lot of my projects actually get done. A sudden burst of inspiration for an idea that's on my list and away I go.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That bloom looks like a watercolor painting. Such subtle changes from one color to another.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh my, the only thing presenting itself in my garden is mounds of snow. I was looking at flower seed catalogs today just to boost my mind's eye. The colors in the block are amazing. I love all your fabric.

Linda said...

Those Kaffe fabrics look delightful enough to eat. You’re right, the spots really sparkle in the trip Around the world blocks. Looking forward to drooling some more as you add new blocks.

Louise said...

The spot is perfect for each diagonal! That will make a fun secondary design in the top. Gorgeous flower, too. Is that a type of calla lily?

Ann said...

Your Trip makes me want to start another, too. What a great way to use some wider strips and you’ve chosen luscious colors and prints.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Marvelous squirrel photo!

Shelnjohanne said...

I have 12 TAW blocks on the wall , started with leftover 16” strips. I am very happy with results, will grab some dotted ones to add interest. Thanks for a new squirrel!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Here's to all the squirrels in your life. I always love a good scrappy trip around the world. Enjoy the journey.