Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Forgotten Houses

Rummaging through an un-finished project drawer
I came across 13 house blocks, these were
part of the RSC 2016 challenge

I have 13 blocks and the original plan was to
make considerably more than that over the year
but I found it difficult keeping to one colour
theme each month, project stalled!
A mix of Kaffe Fassett, Philip Jacobs, Jinny Beyer
fabrics with a few very old florals thrown in.

So, back to the machine yesterday with 12 of them


and here they are.
I decided not to add sashing,
 when they were up on the wall
I had a flash back to my childhood in Lancashire UK.
 We lived in terraced houses, 'though I was lucky
enough to be a few strides away from fields and a farm.
 These are not truly representative of rows of terraced rows
 but to me they say home, friends and family and surroundings
of childhood.

My next decision is whether to border or just bind - my gut
feeling is to leave this just as is and bind, it will hang on one of walls
in my sewing room to take me back to the wonderful times of
childhood.
What do you think?

Just having gone along to the mail box I feel that yes, Spring
is truly here, even though we're having a lot of rain. My tulips
from last year are all up and just about to open


only nine up this year.

On my mind at the moment are all who are
suffering from the devastation
in various parts of the USA.

Visiting
Julie
and
Linda
for sew stitch snap SHARE #12,
lots more goodies to see!

Also linking up with 

24 comments:

Leeanne said...

Oh I'm so please you have dragged those cute houses out and to bring you sweet memories.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think it would look great with just binding to finish it. I think a border would take away the focus on the houses.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

The houses look great smack against each other. So nice to think they will bring back happy memories.

Janie said...

Very cheerful houses. I think your idea to finish them is perfect.
Spring tulips, lovely.
We're almost at fall, the 22nd of September.

Ann said...

I love them set together. Since they remind you of your childhood and the fields were nearby, could you add something in a border on two sides only that would enhance that part of your memory? Or piece the name of your town? More work but I think you could really personalize this.

Julie said...

Very cool houses, I think I'd be scared to have an unfinished project drawer, it would never get emptied.

Debbie said...

Wonderful throw of houses....just as it is. I love it!

Monica said...

Wow! Obviously you stopped because you had some instinct that it was right the way it was. I always love house quilts, and I really love this!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What beautiful fabrics! These houses look so rich! You're heading to Spring and we're on our way to fall. Florida looks pretty bad. So glad I live far away from there.

Louise said...

I agree; you should just quilt and bind it as is and let the little houses make you feel at home!

Preeti said...

Love the gorgeous houses - they are so bright and cheerful. The question about border or not to border is slightly tricky. Since the overlap of the binding can be more than a 1/4 inch, I do not want any part of my main quilt to be covered by that binding. I made a decision to add a skinny border in my birds quilt, so that the binding flap does not cover the point of the beaks/tails. If you want you can read about it here http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/2017/02/he-tweeted-she-tweeted.html

em's scrapbag said...

What a great home for these wonderful house blocks.

crazyquilter said...

Love the houses and if they evoke happy memories of childhood, then, yes, I would complete the quilt as is and enjoy the use of it on your wall. Looks great.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Ah I remember those houses, lovely to see them again! I probably would go with binding them, and get your memory quilt finished & up on the wall to look at each day! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'

O'Quilts said...

very nice houses....lovely xo

Summer said...

The house are so pretty :) Hope your week is good so far :)

Sally Trude said...

It's so nice to see those houses again with those glowing windows. I can't decide between the binding and the border, but if I did do a border I would probably use golden sky on tops and sides, with a dark pavement for the bottom...because I'm a literal kind of gal.

gayle said...

I remember those houses! I love them with their cozy window glow.
I'd put a really narrow border around, like a hug to contain them just a bit. But I'm a border freak, so take that with a grain of salt!

Janice Holton said...

Ooo! Gorgeous! I'd hang them up in my sewing room too! I have a thing for house blocks. They are gorgeous exactly the way they are. :)

Kate said...

Very pretty houses. I think you could go either way, with a border to frame or just bind. It's beautiful.

Kaja said...

Actually, set like that I think they are very evocative of little Victorian terraces (only much prettier!) You have really caught a mood.

Judy Martin said...

Your use of colour is so joyful. xo

Quiltdivajulie said...

I vote bind and go - what a marvelously wonderful wall hanging!!

Nicky said...

Yes it is good as is! I'm thinking Hovis right now... Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday we will be picking winners later in the week thanks to Finish-A-Long