Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Pottering and playing with something new with Tula Pink

Watching Katie Pasquini Masopust on The Quilt Show
last week she had a great idea for hanging strips.
This was ideal for keeping some of my strips
tidy instead of in a jumble in the bin.

So, rings hanging either on a door, the wall or a rail,
safety pins holding strips together, could be in colour order, or not,
 depending what they're being used for, threaded
onto the rings. Cut off then length you need as you along, give them
a shake at the end of the day - no creases or wandering threads!

Looking through my KF books I flagged quilts which I'd like
to make, however I only worked on four books

and you can see the amount of markers!!
As I have another 16 books to go through I think a culling
session will be in order - no way will I be making all 
these quilts!

But I have made a start on a new quilt.
I don't think I posted my Tula Pink All Stars collection when
they arrived a few weeks ago, some of them shown below

and I should have posted them in three or four photos
to truly show them off to their best.

Plus One is a pattern in the newest book from
Tula Pink and Angela Walters, which just happens to be
on my shelf.
A quilter from Aussie on Instagram @goneaussiequilting had made this
pattern up with the All Stars range, I loved it and along with a few 
other quilters asked if she would mind if we made the
very same quilt using her colour setting, she gave us the
go ahead!

Above is the top border and then the first row - only stuck
on the flannel wall - is made up of squares and pluses and  will be 60" across.
I'll have a better photo next time, the colours are
more vibrant than they're showing here.

This is a project which makes me feel like doing nothing else but
hiding in my little studio all day with these luscious fabrics, not
actually possible because of the arthritis in my hands but I'm
using a timer to work in short bursts.

I think the bright colour fans will enjoy watching this all come
together row by row.
I should have more to show in my next post
but as John and I are celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversay
tomorrow, 25th May, it will be next week before much gets done around here.
We have a family lunch Sunday, we're looking forward to that and probably
a day of rest will be needed the next day!

 I'm off now to do another 30 minutes on the quilt,
 hope you all enjoy the rest of the week.


Wednesday, May 16, 2018

On Wednesday

Wednesday and it's a wet one - again!

Frog Frenzy came back from the quilter - thanks Leeanne -
and is now bound and labelled. 

Photographed between the rain showers and with the wind blowing I
just couldn't get a full photo.

For the backing I used the last strip of Frog fabric down the centre, found the
yellow with stars in my stash and had to add other left over
pieces to bring it up to size for long arm quilting.

Bound using the excess inches trimmed after the quilting, see below.

Some of you may have seen this photo below on Instagram,
as I was trying to finish the binding I was joined by my
furry companion - the quality controller!

Due to wearing hand splints over the past ten days quilting has 
taken a back seat but in addition to finishing
Frog Frenzy ready to gift to Sam I was able to
sew the borders on the quilt from my last post.

Once again trying to dodge the wind and rain it had
to be photographed outside on the old deck.

The AMH fabric borders are 8" wide, this is a stunning print but
not possible to have two side borders exactly the same due to the size of the repeat
and the flowers all going in the same direction, not a good
look to have one border with flowers up and the other with
them down - I tried it!!
However, the top and bottom borders were easy to change
direction as they were running side to side.

A closer look at the borders below.

Splints are only needed for a few hours each day now
so back to the machine.

I'm linking up with
Julie hosting Sew,Stitch,Snap,SHARE
there's sure to be lots to see!
Hope you'll go visit.


Friday, May 4, 2018

Revisiting a discarded project

Two or three years ago I made twelve blocks using the Rail Fence pattern
from Sujatha Shah's book,
Cultural Fusion Quilts.

I love this pattern, so quick and interesting but
the fabrics I chose were not my usual brights, they were
more subdued overall. so they ended up in my UFO drawer. 

Daughter asked if I had a quilt she could use just to cover a 
bed in her small office/guest room.
I have enough projects on the go at the moment so fell back
on this small top above,  16"finished blocks and 12 blocks in all.
Instead of making more blocks I decided on wide borders.
 I hunted through yardage of my
fabrics for something to tie all these different colours together
but didn't find anything that worked, until I
picked up this Anna Maria Horner fabric below

and it was perfect, I'm busy cutting for
the borders now.

Thinking she might like two cushions for the bed I
went with my more usual colours for
the two blocks below

waiting to have the envelope backs made.

The grey check flannel was always a nightmare to get
straight on the wall but I have the cream flannel
in the laundry so just having to go with the uneven grid
for now.

When I collect my new glasses I think more sewing will be done,
I've been having problems with close work, reading, computer
and of course sewing. Off to the optometrist later this

I have two more photos of hibiscus to show you

the bushes are just covered in these blooms.

I'm heading off to link up with
Linda at kokaquilts
for Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE #25
lots of lovely goodies to see!

Have a good weekend, see you soon.