Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, August 12, 2018

A sunny Sunday - a flimsy, flowers and a super sunrise

I began my day at 6.30am, I always try and catch
the sunrise


this one was a real beauty!

Since my last post I have a flimsy finish- Freshly Squeezed - but
I could only take a quick photo draped
across the old garden bench, I'll try and post another one later.


54" wide and 66" long, 6" finished blocks.
These pieces were left over from my Chinese Coin challenge, see below,
with AdHoc Improvisational Quilters.

A Taste Of The Orient


I still have heaps of strips left over, somewhere in the future
there will probably be another quilt in these colours.

I've been pondering on the present challenge with
AHIQ  -  Maps and Mappings  - 
you can read all about the challenge from Ann
or click on the sidebar button if you'd like to know more about the blog.

I had jotted down my ideas and a few days ago happened
to visit the local book store, I came home with this book.


I'll post a little more on this in a later post but for the moment I'll share
a few words from the author in her preface where she explains that this is not a 
textbook, nor the work of a scholar, but a book "that invites the reader
on a journey from map to map, to let their imagination run free ..."
The last six words decided me on which of my ideas was the
one calling to me 100%.

On to the flowers.
A wander in the garden as we head for September, the official
first month of Spring here in New Zealand, yielded a touch of white with this
Hellebore



and this arum lily just beginning to unfurl, I love the
movement here.


Don't you think the curves are just wonderful?

That's me for the day, almost lunchtime and then time to bury
my head in a book for a little while.

Back during the week - happy quilting until then.

Maureen

16 comments:

Julie said...

Your quilt looks so fresh and spring like. I'm intrigued by the Map stories!! Such a pity arum lilies are considered a pest, I have one in my garden that I can't get rid of,I do love the fresh white of them though.

Sally Trude said...

Wow! Does this mean I'm going to see that same wonderful sunrise tomorrow morning? You definitely have given me something to look forward to!

Linda Swanekamp said...

On vacation this week in the woods, I took a photo shoot class on sunrises. Set up at 5:30 am and waited. The thickest fog of the year set in and didn't lift until 10:30. Well, I have a lot of moody fog pictures in the woods I could post, but no gorgeous sunrise.
The new quilt top is so gorgeous, it can't be made from scraps. At least not when I look at my scraps. Great finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Looking forward to your take on the book after you've read part of it. Gorgeous quilt top!!

Janie said...

Beautiful flimsy and it sounds like you're onto new inspirations!

Linda said...

What a stunning sunrise photo to start your colourful blog post. Love the new flimsy and the previous Chinese Coins Quilt responsible for your abundant stash of bright strips. The flower photos are lovely and the book sounds intruiging. Onward and upward then?

Debbie said...

You enjoy spring when we are winding down and things are turning brown. Amazing to realize than as we move around the globe.
Love the new top, so bright and colorful. It lifts the spirits.
Your new venture of maps sounds intriguing, and I look forward to see where you go with it.

Bambi Pearson said...

The lily picture would make a beautiful quilt.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love the colors in this quilt so much. I need to go browse around your blog a little more to see more wonderfulness.

I love to look at maps. Probably because I know I'll never visit the places on them. The kids always laugh at me when we talk about someplace in the world. They get out their phones to google it. I get out my Atlas.
xx, Carol

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt flimsey--the colors are beautiful--and that Arum Lily is gorgeous...we are heading towards Autumn here and hopefully relief from the heat and humidity...our Summer was way too sultry and HOT!! Hugs, Julierose

Louise said...

Your flimsy looks wonderful! Classic rail fence, but elevated into vibrant color. I'm going to check out the AHIQ challenge this month; thanks for the link :)

Cathy said...

I love to get up and watch the sunrise too! Wow...you captured a gorgeous one. And then another WOW...Freshly Squeezed. Wonderful!

And now you have me curious about your Map Challenge. Something to look forward to!

Don't you just love Hellebores? Mine blooms sometimes even when there is still snow on the ground. It's a pink one. I don't have Arum Lilies, though. You are right...lovely curls on that one. It kind of reminds me of a broken shell on the beach.

Thanks for the doses of color! Much appreciated!

Ann said...

We are twins as far as cutting too much fabric. I've also made quilts where the leftovers made a larger quilt than the first idea. They are all lovely.
I'm so glad you are embracing the Map idea. It's so different I wondered if it would interest anyone. I've been coming up with some plans while I recuperate and finding more books and references - just like you.
Congratulations on Freshly Squeezed and your sunrise photos.

gayle said...

I love your bright cheerful flimsy!
I'm watching this new ad hoc challenge with great interest. I've always been fascinated with maps - both the actual physical object and the thinking that goes into it. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone approaches this one!

Kate said...

Congrats on the finished flimsy! It is very bright and pretty. Gorgeous flowers. It always joggles my brain to think while we have summer you have winter. I don't know why that is, but it's always a "oh yeah" moment. Enjoy your spring weather. I'm looking forward to fall here.

Kaja said...

Yay for a finished top, and very pretty it is too. The map book looks intriguing so I'll look forward to learning more and seeing where you are headed.