Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, January 3, 2021

A New Year 2021

 


Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year

Well we're now three days into 2021and I think we can all agree
that 2020 was an "annus horribilis" to quote the words spoken
by Queen Elizabeth II in a Guildhall speech 1992 to describe that year!

Time will tell whether this coming year will be any better, let's hope so
although I fear it will be a heck of a long time before we can
refer to a year, hopefully not too far distant, as an
'annus mirabilis'
which means wonderful year.

You will have noticed our Kereru in the opening photo, a gift from youngest
son and wife for Christmas, now fastened on the deck trellis conveniently opposite
my favourite chair.

It's been a lean time for my quilting but here are two blocks made during a
spell of playtime


just trying out ideas for a new quilt for eldest grandson,
two more possible settings below




this is a pattern from Cultural Fusion Quilts, a book by
Sujata Shah blogging at
therootconnection.blogspot.com
having some computer problems so I do hope this link works!

Another possible contender for a quilt for grandson is another version
of Chain Link Horizon which I made in 2019


I have a stack of half hexagons 7" high which I cut when making this
quilt and were never used, I'm figuring I can save myself a lot of time
by using them along with a different solid for the diamonds.
I'm thinking perhaps the Kaffe Fassett Aboriginal Dot in Orchid,
not actually a solid but reads as one.

This is the time of year when lots of quilters think of a word for the year,
I've done so myself a few times. Given the year we have had I felt that there was
not just one word but there are three which resonate with me

NURTURE
to take care of, feed, protect someone or something

KINDNESS
and
COURAGE

don't we all need a little of the above mentioned?
I know I certainly do, this coming year especially.
I'm sure that many of us also need a little of these three.

Adam Lindsay Gordon, an Australian poet in the 1800's
wrote a poem "Ye Wearie Wayfarer" and I quote four lines below

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
KINDNESS in another's trouble,
COURAGE in your own."

On a lighter note as I close my first post for 2021 here's
the early bloom on my white amaryllis


and now


there are 11 blooms right now, difficult to photograph them though.
Each bloom measures 6" across.
Needless to say I am thrilled!

Leaving you with Kereru at sunset

and he/she doesn't actually have speckles on his neck, I took this photo
through the window which needed a clean!!!

Happy Quilting

Maureen



13 comments:

Julierose said...

Just a lovely chain quilt--I really like that deep teal in the diamonds--it sets off the chains beautifully--
What a charming metal bird sculpture...I love how it looks in the sunset...
Very stunning shite amaryllis you have blooming...nice;)))
Hugs for a kinder, gentler New Year Julierose

Debbie said...

Your metal bird is a beauty. Love the photo view at sunset. I enjoy mine too.
And which ever design pattern you do next will be wonderful and filled with your special touch for color. I really like the dark blue background on your test blocks. Would that work with the hexagon halves you have? And your words are perfect. We all need to be nurtured.

gayle said...

Kindness and Courage sound good to me! I love all your photos - the beautiful bird and the gorgeous quilt! And oh, that amaryllis!
May your new year be filled with joy!

MissPat said...

Chain Link Horizon is a gorgeous quilt. Reminds me of a garden trellis. The white Amaryllis is amazing. So many huge blooms. I hope it doesn't topple over on you. They get so tall and then top heavy when in full bloom. The metal bird sculpture highlighting the sunset gives a striking view. And your words for the year should be heeded by many, but sadly here in the US our politicians seems inclined to continue the chaos instead of bringing the country together. I fear we here will have another very long year. Here's to a healthier new year for all of us.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your amaryllis is spectacular! And your Kereru is so cool - LOVE that sunset photo. I've made the CFQ design you showed - it was great fun to make. But your chain link is also wonderful. Between the two I'd likely go with the one that has the pre-cut parts ready to go and then make the other one later on. Your words for 2021 (and the quotes) are marvelous. Thank you!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your metal bird sculpture! Three great words for this year too. The white Amaryllis is stunning. As much as I love the other colors I think I the white ones are so elegant.
You could make the honeycomb pattern with your half hexagons too. I love that one and have done 3 so far and will do more.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's good to see you continuing to make with plans for more in 2021. That bird silhouette is really neat, and looks especially good with the sunset behind it. Lovely amaryllis. I don't know that flower very well. Does is leave a pretty scent too?

Beth in MN said...

What an inspiration both your words, quilts & flower are for 2021. I always enjoy a visit to your blog.

Sue said...

Your chain Link quilt is lovely Maureen. The bird silhouette is amazing. What a great gift! Happy New Year, and I hope you keep well in 2021.

Kaja said...

I like your words a lot, and the verse. Both the quilt ideas you are playing with sound good to me. Happy New Year!

Ann said...

It's good to see your sewing again and thinking and planning. Your chain link quilt is lovely. A second version of this would be well worthwhile, especially since you have some pieces cut. I'm adding it to my idea list, too... as if that isn't miles long already.
Someone here makes bird outlines similar to your kereru (in that they are wrought iron outlines that attach to a pole or wall) but yours is the loveliest. Such charming details of branches and the inside cutouts to show the claws. That outline reminds me of a bison head. Wonderful.

Janie said...

Hello Maureen!
Thanks for sharing encouragement, your bird looks like a bird of peace, bearing an olive branch.
And your Amarylliis is spectacular, I think they're habit forming.
The piecing is attractive with good contrast, Happy New Year, to you and your family.

Pip said...

I really miss seeing New Zealand native birds, and while I like hearing a Tui call I must admit that I haven't always enjoyed hearing them calling at 4am ;) Your metal bird sculpture is gorgeous, when I get to visit NZ again, I must keep any eye out for one.
I haven't seen a white Amaryllis before, I've only seen the red ones, the white ones are stunning.