Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Welcome to 2022


 My hydrangeas are already changing colour - love it when this happens
and we have the muted antique tones.

So, here we are into another year and I hope we all stay happy, healthy and safe and
can make lots of quilts!

In a previous post I showed the beginnings of a quilt for our eldest grandson
here below

I loved the way I had set up the border but still wasn't happy with the Plus blocks,
I spent ages faffing around and in the end decided to 'close the door' on this
particular design and begin again. The border pieces are saved for use in a future project.

A book by Jen Kingwell had interested me a few months ago


and this quilt in particular


but I wanted more colour, especially for the two solids, shown above
as a grey and mustardy colour. I also had a few doubts about the 
patterned squares, as I often do I changed a few things around.

My choice for the solids shown below


and I decided on the large squares to be 16 patch, bearing in mind that
there would be some waste.
However, I went ahead. The triangles are actually sewn on as squares and then
cut on the diagonal, I decided to sew another line 1/2" from the centre
in order to have mini blocks after cutting between the two stitched lines.


Here are three finished sample blocks along with a side rectangular piece


and I also have the left over mini pieces below


Apart from playing with this new project I've been carrying on with reorganising
my fabric storage and generally having a tidy up in my room here, also
listing future projects and deciding which of the few already in the works
will reach the finish line first!

So, back to work now in a beautifully air-conditioned room escaping
the terrific heat outside! See you next week.

Maureen



13 comments:

Nancy J said...

Purple, lime and flowers, that is totally STUNNING, The top one, I would leave it till cooler days, way too hot down here for anything much at all.Air Con, sounds like we should turn the Heat Pump onto AC too.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, the new project is definitely stunning. Ha, ha- extreme heat? We are waiting tonight for a Lake Effect snowstorm heading our way with up to 16" of snow. Hope it misses. Lake effect is a weird thing depending on the angle of the wind coming down Lake Erie.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I like where you are going for the first quilt. I think the yellow should be moved up to closer to the border to add a little bit more contrast between the plus and the border. That is a great color selection for the second quilt - purple is my favorite color today!

Linda said...

I love your new quilt project and the off shoot. However, I’m wondering why you have decided against the Plus Quilt? I though it was looking great. Great you’re feeling a little more energetic - keep that going! Happy New Year 🥰

Louise said...

Oo, that's going to be gorgeous! Looking forward to watching this one come together, Maureen :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like your choice of solid colors for the new quilt.

Hot? And we are below freezing for 3 days and below 0 for a few hours. It seems like extremes everywhere.

gayle said...

Oh, what FUN! I'm already looking forward to this one!

Barb N said...

"...but I wanted more colour" made me smile straight away. Of course you do! And that's why I love following your quilting pursuits - what is the world without color. Your quilts are just amazing. Great choice on this one.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your colors are SO much prettier than the book's quilt! Wishing you a wonderful 2022 - healthy, safe, and content. (we have freezing sleet today - hard to imagine your air conditioning LOL)

Ann said...

I'm sorry your plus quilt isn't working out but like your new quilt and the changes you've made. Happy New Year.

audrey said...

I can see you're preferring to work with a project that carries a bit more of a 'punch'! You'll figure out something to do with the pieces from your previous attempt. It's all good fabric!:)

Janie said...

Jen Kingwell is inspiring!
And that pattern is clever and looks great in your color choices!

Kaja said...

Your substitutions seem much more you than the duller tones in the original - it's going to be another stunning quilt. Glad to see you are getting 2022 off to a good start.