Waiting In The Wings

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Five weeks blogging missed thanks to a spider!

Would like to first say thank you to all who left comments on my last post 24 April, my apologies for not replying. I had hoped to do so two days later and have a few rows of Tussie Mussie sewn up to post, but only had the one sewn and pinned on my too narrow design wall when I had an argument with a spider!

Hopped into bed 26 April, read a few pages of my current book, light out and turned over onto my right side when my leg, a few inches above the ankle, began to burn, sting, tingle, throb, couldn't think what on earth was happening.  DH  thought was somehow a burn or a graze. - not possible!  The next day there was obviously a problem, by this time inflammation was slowly spreading  all around the area with a nasty wound in the centre. Off to the local emergency department.  Result - couldn't decide what had happened but massive doses of antibiotics for seven days, told to keep leg elevated, five weeks of visiting my usual Doctor's surgery every couple of days for dressing changes, wound cleaning and still elevating leg. Healing up now but the consensus is there must have been a white tailed spider in the bed and in turning I obviously lay on it and it wasn't too happy about that.  These spiders can cause real damage to the surrounding flesh on occasion, my leg was one of the occasions!

Sadly I was going to have my pacemaker replaced the week after all this happened but this was postponed due to the darned spider, now scheduled for June 23rd.

So I've been spending time sewing hexies




reading a new book 


opening a package of new fabrics


sitting with a box of small pieces sorted by grand-daughter and finding this gorgeous piece of fabric  not sure if KF or PJ - Wanda you would know I'm sure


watching the birds come to attack the seed pods of the trees outside the window


and at last DH driving me down to the beach for a short walk along the sand at low tide yesterday.


Hopefully back to short spells at the machine in the next day or so and reading current blog posts tomorrow, I haven't a hope of catching up on all your posts from the last five weeks, hope you'll excuse me.

Happy Quilting

Maureen



11 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I was just thinking about you yesterday so I'm glad to see a post this morning. I have heard spider bites can be serious and hoping I never get one.
I think that might be a Philip Jacobs fabric, pretty sure it isn't a Kaffe. I'm not as familiar with all of PJ's prints so I'll look through mine and see if I can find it. I have been needing to straighten the shelves of PJ fabric so today is a good day to tackle it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, Maureen - I am SO sorry that spider was in your bed and made you so miserable for so long! I'm glad your pacemaker has been rescheduled, too. I really enjoyed the new KF book - are you? Here's to even more healing in the coming days/weeks.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh my goodness! What a horrible thing to happen to you. I have a thing about spiders and now I can add another one to the list. I certainly hope you heal completely so that you can get your pacemaker taken care of. Yikes.

MissPat said...

Like Wanda, I was wondering where you were. Sorry to hear it was a spider bite. they can be nasty. A friend had to have a sking graft because of a spider bite (not sure what kind of spider). At least you had some new fabric therapy to help you though the trauma. And what a beautiful nird that is. I hope more wlaks on the beach will speed your recovery.
Pat

FlourishingPalms said...

My goodness, Maureen! You didn't have to make up such an elaborate excuse for being off blogging! Ha, ha. How terrible for you though. Can't imagine going through all that for a spider bite. Wicked creature! Do you have a pest control service? Or might the critter have been inadvertently carried into your house? Looks like you have some lovely new prints to tempt you to sew. And it's nice to see the pretty birds you can enjoy watching, as well as your beach walk. I do hope you remain well until your pacemaker replacement date. You don't want to miss that appointment.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have identified the Philip Jacobs fabric for you. I was pretty sure it was an early one. #PJ 23 Tropical.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Not good, a white tail bite can be nasty. Glad you are on the mend now. And lots of new fabric to sidetrack you. Rest up, hopefully you'll feel like sewing soon. I have a piece of that PJ fabric here too... somewhere,LOL.

Janie said...

Hi Maureen, I'm glad you are healing, spider bites are awful for sure!
Thank you for sharing your photos, gorgeous, the colors in the bird plumage and that floral fabric, wow. the beach looks calming, what a treat for you.
God bless you and have a good week.

Diane Perin said...

Maureen, I have only discovered your blog this morning, thanks to Wanda the exuberant quilter. I have spent a lovely hour reading thru past posts and I have so enjoyed them! Like you I am a longtime quilter with an embarrassingly (and delightfully) large stash of fabrics, a passion for color, and a love for all things Kaffe. Ironically I have on immobilized wrist due to a recent outstretched hand fall so I am using the time to read quilting th8ngs and plan for all the making ahead after my July 31 retirement. Thank you for the pleasure and I look forward to filling your adventures! Diane at recalculatingwi.blogspot.com

audrey said...

Oh my goodness, what an unfortunate experience! So sorry for the delay to more fun things going on in your life. Glad that you are getting better though! Take care!

Ann said...

What a terrible accident, Maureen. How fortunate we are to have good medical care - even though you’ve been out of commission for a while. And a granddaughter to sort fabric for you is a lovely help. You are passing your love of fabrics and colors to her. That beautiful bird looks like he could next with your new fabrics. Perhaps he’s hoping for a mate. Continue to get better, please.