Waiting In The Wings

Friday, November 9, 2018

One step forward, two steps back

If you read my last post from 29th October you might recall that I showed
my scrap vortex cut into strips along with two other fabrics.



deconstructed scrap vortex
aboriginal dot and kf stripe

I also said that before the end of that week I would have something to
show for my efforts as I was now off crutches.
They are now back with me, hence the wording of the title.

Dictionary definition of the post title:

If you take one step forward, two steps back, you make progress but then
experience events that cause you to be further behind than you were when you made
the progress.

In reality I have made al little progress in the past two days sewing a few seams and
buying new fabrics - necessary for therapy!

Below is the beginning of my take on a new Chinese Coins using the strips
shown above.
Strips sewn 3" x 11 and 1/2", yes a bit of a strange size.
You can see that the bright scrap strips seem to be taking second place
to the dark combination.



Here is one completed strip, there will be three in total


My husband looked at this and said I had killed the colour,
perhaps I have but I am happy with it. Yes, it has darker elements rather
than my usual all over bright colour, I think sometimes our quilts reflect
our mood at the time, mine wasn't that great!

But  here comes the colour starting with
the 2018 range of Moda Bella Solids - there a few moody darks
at the bottom of the bundle, I have plans for an Amish piece.


 The next two photos are Tula Pink Zuma and sadly 
these shots don't quite show the vibrancy of this range.



Don't ask what I have in mind for Zuma,I have a lot of ideas buzzing around.
The beauty of Tula Pink fabrics
is that they mix and match, especially when incorporating
her solids, stripes and dots.

Lunch time now - home baked savoury cheese muffins and a cuppa.
Fingers crossed for a little more sewing over the weekend.

Happy Quilting

Maureen

14 comments:

Nancy J said...

Like snippets of an older film strip. Love all the fabrics. On line again via my smart phone hot spot. XXX to you.

Clare M said...

Aww, I understand your frustrations. I like your new coins and agree with your assessment of moods. There is still that glimmer of bright that will always shine through. The Tula Pink therapy is indeed a great healer... hehehe. Hugs and prayers to you. Xoxo

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Yes, we all need a little fabric therapy once in awhile. You have some nice new fabrics to play with.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I like the turn your scrap vortex has taken. The teal with the stripes is lovely!

Debbie said...

oh, yes, I do like your new avenue with the vortex top! Of course I always pick contrast so this is right up my alley. Absolutely this is a reflection of your struggles and mood for now. Still prayers for things to right themselves soon. Do hope there is some healing of the knee.

Louise said...

I love the addition of the darker strips! It punches up the contrast and makes your vortex into something completely new. Here's hoping you have many steps in the right direction ahead of you! :)

Julierose said...

Just love the addition of those little dark ladder strippies--just perfect
hugs, Julierose

Raewyn said...

Hope you start taking more steps forward and less steps backwards, Maureen. Good that you got some sewing and therapy time. Your strip is definitely effective and I like the addition of the darker stripes.

Kaja said...

Less sewing time maybe allows the best ideas to mature and rise to the surface. Certainly your take on the rejected scrap vortex blocks is fabulous.

gayle said...

I hope you can get several steps forward and dodge those steps back completely!
I love your new direction with scrap vortex! Seizing control of some of that chaos was a great idea - I think the brights can be more appreciated now.
And your Tula therapy should do you a world of good!

Ann said...

I love the mix of those dark Kaffe's with your bright scraps. So much better than the original idea. Good for you for taking the time to rework them.
You always have the prettiest fabrics. Such a treat.

Sally Trude said...

You have given me new hope for my scrap vortex. And also recutting it and introducing bits into a traditionally Amish design might work as well...something that brings order to the chaos. And Molly says one step forward, two steps back, one to the side, and three forward is dancing. So feel free to improvise.

audrey said...

This post made me smile just a little. I thought I was the only one who 'killed the color' in a quilt! lol Love the colors, fabrics you are working with. At the very least your are starting with a superb foundation to get unstuck!

Julie said...

Better to have small steps forwards and back than none at all. Still lots of lovely colour and I'm guessing happy mail in your life by the looks of things though. Have a lovely weekend.