Waiting In The Wings

Monday, May 20, 2019

Something Old and Something New

I have a finished top with Chain Link Horizon (the new) and posting
photos of two quilts from waaay back (the old) and a couple of garden
photos added to the mix.

Chain Link Horizon is a pattern by
Kathy Doughty
at
and
I've played with my own colour scheme


by using quite a lot of FK Collective fabrics in my version.
Measures 60" x 72" so quite a nice size to handle.
I found it a super quilt to cut and sew, large half hexagons make
things much easier and I'm intending to make another one later this year
as a gift for eldest grandson, I'll be using more masculine colours in his.

The old quilts next - I opted out of a joint exhibition with
my husband who paints - but at the last minute there were two empty
walls so I hunted these two out.


Java Moon
 I made around 1993 following some time spent in Jakarta,
I fell in love with the traditional batiks, came home with quite a stash!
This is my own design.
The left hand side strips  are actually perfectly straight, I took three photos
and each one was off kilter.




Jungle Fever
I can't remember exactly when I made this one but I used commercial batiks,
Hoffman I should think, and I did have a pattern but unfortunately
can't locate it in order to give credit to the designer. 

To add more colour to this post I have two photos of gladioli
flowering right now. I brought a few corms home from my Dad's garden after
he passed away in 2003, they're now invading certain spots in
our garden, but I love the colour.

Here they are mingling with a few shrubs



and here's a close-up below,  I love seeing all the detail in the
individual flower. Stunning colour.



I'm heading off now to cut the binding for my large blue hexagon
quilt, a corner shown below.


The pattern is from the KF book
Quilts in Morocco
and it's a large quilt
80 1/2" x 84 1/2"
I'll post when the binding's on.

Happy Quilting

Maureen

15 comments:

Clare M said...

So beautiful Maureen, I love your quilt top. It must feel wonderful to have a finish. Hope this means you are feeling better. Love your other quilts, especially the Java Moon. Hugs

Debbie said...

I so enjoy your sense of color! The new KF turned out grand. Wow...super colorwash.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Stunning -- those two quilts that you shared from earlier years are just stunning. The new chain link is as well. What a gloriously colorful post.

Julierose said...

Your chain Link is gorgeous with that deep teal ; and I just love Java Moon...so beautiful...
our flowers haven't bloomed here as yet...hoping for some soon hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your quilts and flowers are all looking so well

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That chain link quilt is stunning. I may have to do that one for my next half hexagon quilt.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely quilts Maureen. I have always loved the blue quilt. It is a pattern I have used before and want to revisit again.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'chain link' quilt is amazing, love the deeper teal background! And lots more quilty colour in this post, inspiring!

O'Quilts said...

This is a wonderful post...beautiful...Glad to see you posting...Hope that means you are feeling better xo

Janie said...

Beautiful projects and flowers here Maureen. I really like the fabulous batiks in Jungle Fever, wow!

Louise said...

I love seeing some of your older pieces! Java Moon is really stunning. And you made that back in 1993? Wow! You were really on the cutting edge of the modern quilt movement with that one. Chainlink is looking so good. That dark green makes an excellent "neutral" background. I'll have to remember that :)

Julie said...

I love your chain quilt - will have to investigate that pattern Also Java Moon is beautiful, such rich colours.

Kaja said...

A lovely colourful post. There is so much to admire in your quilts, both new and old and I too love the gladioli. I hope this burst of activity means you are feeling better.

Ann said...

A wonderful finish. The solid background sets all the large-scale prints off nicely. And I am curious how you will reprise this for your grandson. I'm glad at least you put two quilts in your husband's show. They glow. Good colors and designs. Wish I'd been there in person.
Gladioli from your dad's garden must give comfort to your heart.

audrey said...

Wonderful to see the older quilts! Can't believe that last one is as old as it is. Wowsers, great fabrics. LOVE the newest one though. It always catches my eye when I see it pop up on the new post icon thingamajig. That green background really was a genius decision.:)