Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Red is a Neutral for AHIQ: Improvisational Utility Quilts

When I began this challenge I had in mind a throw sized quilt, but I stalled.
I really wasn't happy with it, I thought of sashing to break up the red and
various other ways to stop the red overwhelming everything else.

Yesterday I almost took the blocks down off the wall to throw them in the bin!
After mulling things over I decided I had to finish, so I've gone with the small number of 
blocks on hand and found a border fabric which
I thought seemed to contain things a little.


Even now this still plays havoc with my eyes, and no doubt
with yours, and I have very mixed
feelings on it, but at least
I have a top, which is best viewed from a distance!!!!

To give myself a break from it yesterday I spent some time
reading the book below which arrived in the mail.


Stunning photographs of Victoria's quilts and
paragraphs on her early life, her history in
art and how she came to this point in her life as a
quilt artist.
So very interesting.

I also received an order of fabric by Kathy Doughty
of
her latest range is 
Seeds and Stems


I am three missing out of the range right now, I'll order those tomorrow.

My favourite is this one below


and that's all from me tonight, tomorrow
I'm going to put time in for planning future projects and
deciding the order of quilts needing to be quilted.

A quick rose photo to finish.


Her name escapes me at the moment but her scent
doesn't - it's divine!

Happy Quilting

19 comments:

Anne said...

I LIKE your wild red quilt. Red has never been a favorite of mine in the past, but recently I have found myself wanting to make a blazing red quilt and yours inspires me!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the quilt - very bright and eye popping for sure

Louise said...

I love all that saturated color! Bold and striking. I think you prefer more contrast maybe? The new fabric that you show at the bottom has lots of contrast and cooler colors, which might your brain's way of taking a break from the red red red :)

Julierose said...

Beautiful rose---
Your "Red" piece is so vibrant...you are fearless in your use of prints....nice work hugs, Julierose

Diana said...

I Love your red quilt. I’m inspired to make a similar one for my workshop!

Kaja said...

Actually all that red isn't too much for me at all, though I think that your choice of border print is playing a big part. The black background really lets all the reds glow.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I just love all that red. I think it is uniquely marvelous. The flower is oh so gorgeous.

Cathy said...

It's not playing havoc with my eyes!!! I loved it even before you contained it within a borders. If you don't like it you are right to move it on rather than go bigger.

Congrats on challenging yourself with red as a neutral.

Linda said...

I love your quilt. Bright and vibrant. Enjoy your planning session.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is definitely not too much red and is a beautiful quilt top. I love busy designs so this one is great.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janie said...

Victoria's book looks to be inspiring, thanks for the review. And your Rose is gorgeous. I like your red quilt, the blues and other colors pop out making it vibrant.

Ann said...

I just looked through the Quilt National 2019 book with a friend who had a quilt in the show. We admired another person's quilt and she noted that it "didn't strobe." According to my friend the strobe effect can be caused by close values of colors. I think that's what you don't like about your red quilt. But I love it. Very smart to keep it small, though. This may not be something you want to cuddle up with but it's very effective. Beautiful colors. I want to make one as boldly red as yours.
As always, I love seeing your garden. Wish my computer was "scratch and sniff."

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I actually like all the red but if it's not for you then finishing it up with a border and maybe passing it on to someone who loves it is the answer. Off now to look for Victoria's book.

Judy Martin said...

happy quilting to you Maureen xo

Mary Marcotte said...

I saw the quilt on AHIQ and commented there, but I have to say again I love it. It nice to read the whole quilt story, even if it means finding out that you're not crazy about it. Maybe quilting it will change your mind.
Your rose is gorgeous. I think I can smell it here. :)

Kate said...

You picked a great border to contain those vibrant reds. It's very vibrant, but in the right space it will really shine.

Sally Trude said...

Stunning quilt and rose. And pardon me while I hurry off to find the new book I did not know about! Cheers!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Late to the party but I think this is just fabulous!!!