Waiting In The Wings

Friday, July 5, 2019

Something Old, Something New and a Finish

Something old begins with me sorting through
a huge box of scraps with pieces going back some 25/30 years!

Here was this small piece


 from yardage of a Hoffman fabric around, I guess,
1989/1990, it's showing darker than it truly is on this photo.
Around that time I made a few waistcoats using Hoffman
fabric and strip piecing.
The main Auckland newspaper had an Arts section and
 approached a local quilt shop as they were gong to run a feature on clothing made
using Hoffman fabrics, did she know of anyone?
Yes she did - me!
Did I have anything special on hand, no not at that moment
but I had just gotten hold of a Turkish Coat pattern, how would that work,
yes please, when do they want to photograph - in THREE days!!!


  Front

Back



Front open
showing the fabric lining, all these panel seams were covered in different
strips of fabric hand sewn to hide the raw edges.

This is still hanging in the closet, I have worn it twice, but as you can
see it's not the sort of coat you wear out regularly!

Something new is fabric, I couldn't walk away from these
two


I had picked out a soft light aqua rather like the Grunge fabrics, 
 and then spotted this brilliant magenta colour, straight under
my arm and heading off to pay I walked
past the KF Collective display and here was this magnificent
Philip Jacobs Japanese Chrysanthemum - how had I missed this before??
You can see the pops of rich turquoise green and a little 
yellow peeking out on the fold there.
I feel there may be a squirrel on the loose in my studio!

A Finish
Rainbow Blur is now back from  
and I finished binding yesterday.




Sorry for the rough photo I'm trying to balance on crutches whilst
getting the whole quilt in the photo, missed some of the edge off.

Measuring 60" x 74"
Cotton batting
Quilting pattern by Leeanne is Yodel - double click the photo
it's a great geometric design.
Binding is Anna Maria Horner Source Code.

Time for an afternoon cuppa, I hope all who celebrated
the 4th July had a happy day and enjoy the weekend.
See you soon.

Maureen

19 comments:

Leeanne said...

That vest is a show stopper! Are you making another? perfect binding choice for your quilt.

Nancy J said...

Wow, something old?? Never, this is ageless and truly stunning. Crutches? Guess your knee is not good. Very cold down here, the wind is straight off Waiouru. I see it is just 1C there right now.

Clare M said...

Absolutely adore that piece of fabric 😍. Hoffman brought out some stunning fabrics. Your jacket is amazing. Then there is your beautiful quilt. Gosh Maureen, such wonderful eye candy. Keep hanging in there. The winter will soon be over and joints may move more easily. Hugs.

Debbie said...

That coat is fabulous....to view but I would find it difficult to wear very often. Such an eyeful of color to explore.
Rainbow Blur finished up nicely, but crutches don't sound good. I take it the knee is still causing much problem. I do hope it is improving at some point.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I confess I did not know what a waistcoat was until I read your post and saw the photo. Great colors on the whole post today. I need such luscious color to keep me motivated. Crutches, oh no!
You have such a wonderful color sense and palette.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Omigosh - if I had that fabulous vest/waistcoat I would wear it every time I teach a class - it is FABULOUS beyond words. And the new fabrics are beautiful. The newly quilted quilt is pretty awesome, too -- what a glorious post. But crutches? Oh my - I hope they are a temporary element in your life.

Louise said...

Oh, that is one fabulous coat! It could star in a stage production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat :)

I don't blame you for buying that fabric. It would have leapt into my arms, too.

Julierose said...

That vest/tunic/coat is so beautiful..I would be wearing it all the time--even around the house to cheer myself up--simple gorgeous...
I love that chrysanthemum fabric--so vibrant--can't wait to see what you make with it...hmmm, I may have to splurge on that...

sorry to hear you are on crutches ;((((--hope you are healing
...hugs, Julierose

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love your Turkish coat and would love to see a photo of it being worn to get a better fell for how it looks. It's stunning. Hope you can get off those crutches soon.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

How how wonderful that you were able to make that spectacular vest in just three days! I think I would have worn it every day everywhere to show it off! The quilt is lovely too!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have some of that same Hoffman fabric. Hoffman prints were my favorites in the 1990s. They really just started selling great prints to quilt shops about 1986. Patchwork garments were all the rage at that time.

Linda Schiffer said...

Oh, Maureen, that coat is jaw dropping!

:) LINDA

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

'Rainbow Blur' is a lovely riot of colour & fabrics!

Kaja said...

Wow, what a glorious selection of things you are sharing today. I love how everything you do is saturated with rich colour and pattern.

Janie said...

I think that would be a great vest to wear teaching a class too! And it would be cheerful to wear for morning coffee.
Thanks for sharing your gorgeous fabrics, lots of inspiration.

Linda said...

Wow! The Turkish Coat is amazing. Did you make some slippers with turned up toes to wear with it? I hope you manage to wear it again one day. How are you coping with the crutches?

audrey said...

Your coat is pretty amazing! So much work! And that quilt is one of my favorites of yours. The way you balanced the busy prints is fabulous. Love it! It just has the look of a great snuggle quilt.:)

Tracy said...

The vest is a riot of beautiful color. Is this a pattern you bought or made up yourself?

Mary Marcotte said...

Man, you have an eye for putting gorgeous fabrics together! I love the jacket. I'd have to wear solid clothes just so I could wear the jacket more often.
Your quilt! I love it! All those beautiful, beautiful fabrics!