Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Sunday Summary

Just about falling to sleep in bed last night I suddenly thought of a great
title for this post, I can now no longer remember it, 
note to self - always have the notebook and pen by the bedside!

Do you remember I began a quilt using the Hourglass block,
Hannah's Garden 
in the blog post 
I have been fiddling around for weeks with these blocks


and once again became unstuck when using
more subdued colour. I cut many more pieces and
still wasn't happy, I was well and truly out of
my comfort zone. I tried using a few stronger colours but still no joy.

One night a week ago after tearing my hair out I couldn't sleep
and decided to go make a cup of tea, it was 2.38am!
The moon was up and I love looking at the moon, it was so very
bright and lighting up the old oak tree next door


I decided life was too short to lose sleep over quilt blocks and next
day pulled the brighter colours and made this cushion for my old
Captain's chair.




 Very simply quilted with two small pieces of very old lace stitched
on the centre block and
found in a box of treasured 'buttons and bows'  (but read lace for bows)
given to me years and years ago by my mother in law, she in turn
was given the box by her grandmother. 
So this little cushion is in memory of my Grandma Hannah whom I never knew and also
John's Mum and his great Grandma.





Now, this is a quilt blog I know and when I read the following lines
after pressing publish I will probably kick
myself for spilling all the information here.  I apologise in advance
but I had a wonderful friend with the same health problems and we
used to talk each week and lift our spirits and have a laugh, she died
in January.

Although I think of all of you as friends please don't worry that I shall be
relating any more of these health missives, I just needed to be able to
do this once right now for my well being.

I made mention earlier in my post of life being too short in relation
to fretting over quilt blocks.
It has been a difficult twelve months for me,  in addition
to my previous years of cardiac problems it was discovered 
that I also had a congenital aortic valve known as a bicuspid valve, 
and although I was informed
that this put me in the position of being one of only
1% of the world population with this condition  I wasn't too happy about future prospects.

The natural electrical system of my heart has packed in so good
job I have a pacemaker which keeps me going.

I have now been told that more symptoms mean my heart is probably not functioning properly,
having worked in a Path Lab and for Doctors I'm not too happy if that is the case.
More tests and appointments coming up and no doubt more medications.

So, no more fretting over quilt blocks, sizes or shapes or whether the points match, no
feeling guilty and miserable because I haven't the time nor energy to
join in all the quilt alongs that seem to crop up lots,  I am just
going to get on with stitching all my bright and beautiful fabrics - 
read Kaffe Fassett here -  and devouring my quilt books all over again and getting back to blogging more often and enjoying reading all your posts every day!! 

I'm ending with a pretty picture


the first bloom this year on my cactus against one of my favourite books
ENDANGERED
you will have guessed  that it's all about feathered, furred or finned members
of the natural world who are at risk.
I'm off to plan my next quilt right now, and I hope and pray you all keep safe and well in
these troubled times with Covid-19 and other horrific tragic happenings.

Maureen

21 comments:

Nancy J said...

A beautiful cushion, and what a memory to have those lace pieces on show, I marvel that you managed to do this, given what is happening. how little we know of what is round the corner. Have the health experts suggested that they do a documentary on you and the 1% valve!!! I now have upgraded my overnight bag to a "Trip Away to Wgn" one, just in case as I had only emergency things, knowing Hugh could bring anything else I might need. One good thing, Grandson is there and I will have one visitor. Cold day here, my heart does not behave well when the cold is in low degrees. Glad neither of us live in the far south.XXX

Marly said...

That's such a sweet cushion, and you were right to make it with the beautiful lace detail.
I absolutely agree on the not worrying about quilt blocks; they're just pieces of fabric after all! You put a lot of energy into making them, but that doesn't mean that wasting energy on them is a virtue. I often have to remind myself of just that! Enjoy the beautiful things around you, both natural and created, and don't fret!

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing. I hope the tests reveal useful info. which will lead to a successful treatment. Your pillow is lovely - the lace makes it a treasure.

Julierose said...

Lovely cushion finish I just love that lace...a great memory piece.

Sorry to hear about your heart problem...but worry only exacerbates things like that--so do enjoy your quilting and reading in your own style--life is too short for worry (easy to say, but hard to do--as
a worrywart myself) The quilt police will not be knocking on your door...only if they want to see beautiful quilts;)))
Hugs from afar Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Life is short. This spring (your fall), I overspent on garden flowers and don't care. The blooms and growth are just balm to my soul. I think about all the wonderful people I have met through quilting, and I am grateful. When one member goes through a hard time, we all suffer along. When there are triumphs, we all smile. Even over the distant miles. Every day since my heart attack is a bonus day. Your lovely quilts inspire me over and over.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

enjoy your quilting and as you say don't worry about the points and whatnot just enjoy the color!

Debbie said...

What an epiphany moment you had in the wee hours of the morning. I also think you were fretting over more than just quilt blocks, but that they just filled in all the free space. Life is so short.....that is the point. And you saw the value, the really important thing is people, memories and relationships. That is a big step. Until someone comes to terms and faces what we have they may never "get it". Life is short.
So I love what you did with the blocks and the cushion is so special...I love it. Just perfect for the chair, which is great.
The heart news is just that, information to live with. No one can see into your future or your mind, so determine to yourself who will control what comes. The pace maker keeps you ticking, like my B12 keeps me alive and breathing, and I acknowledge so things won't be better. Have faith greater than your conition or your pain. Sending you huge hugs.

Linda said...

Yes, I agree with not fretting about quilt blocks. I think we all do it. Love your solution to take the bright blocks and make your lovely cushion withe memories the little lace additions made. Sorry to hear of your ongoing health problems. Good to get these things off our chests at times.
Stay well and enjoy those Kaffe fabrics.

Barb N said...

Sending cyber (((HUGS))).

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have such a wonderful fabric collection and I hope you use all of your favorite fabrics and try your favorite patterns for them. I can relate to the unknown of the future. We have earned a chance at our age with our medical problems to do what we want and to start a box of rejects and false starts for someone else to inherit and have fun with. Be as carefree as you can!

Juliana said...

I'm glad you shared both your beautiful patchwork pillow and your health challenges. It's important to let friends know how you are doing because they can send warm supportive words and energy. It's like a balm to know that people care how we are doing and want to tell us so. Keep taking good care of yourself.

Louise said...

Such a lovely pillow with that beautiful lace and its history! And your hourglass blocks are so nice and perhaps the right setting for them will come to you in the middle of another night. Or not! As you say, the individual blocks and quilts are not what is important. Being creative and true to yourself, enjoying the process, touching and sewing something beautiful is enough.

And please don't worry about telling us about your health. We are your friends, even if we've never met in person. We all care about you so much and want the best for you! If you need or want to share, please do. If you want to stay private, of course you can do that, too. And you can change your mind each week between the two :)

Leeanne said...

A beautiful memory cushion Maureen. You captured the moon and shadows so well. I bet you miss your friend tremendously, true friends are a blessing and stay in our hearts, I lost a very good friend years ago, she was only 38 and boy do I miss her! Sending you healing hugs xoxox

Pip said...

So sorry to hear of your health problems Maureen. Remember, it is your blog so you are allowed to post whatever you wish, I think that sharing things of this nature is often quite beneficial. I love how your cushion has turned out, it looks beautiful in the chair. The flower on your zygocactus (I think that is what it is) is quite an unusual colour, I’ve only ever seen red or orange ones, thanks for sharing it with us.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Maureen, your cushion is just beautiful! I love the lace accents. So pretty! I'm sorry to hear about your heart problems. There are so many new treatments. I'm hoping you find the right doctor who knows exactly how to treat your particular condition. Sending healing thoughts your way!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your cushion turned out delightful! Those Tilda hourglass blocks are so appealing. Being retired, I sew if & when I like with no deadlines... mostly making what gives me joy, and mostly it's perfectly imperfect! And your pretty cushion made me smile today. x

Quiltdivajulie said...

You were SO right to turn those blocks into a pillow - and with the addition of the extra bits (and their stories), it is even more wonderful. Your message of 'life is too short to . . . ' is one we all need to hear and be reminded of often as I know I tend to fret and obsess over things that are really not all that important in the great scheme of things. (thanks for your reminder!). If you choose to post about your health, I say go for it. Or if you choose to email any of us privately to vent, we totally understand and encourage you to let the thoughts out of your head. Sending you all sorts of giant virtual hugs and I'm thrilled you are going to play with your favorite fabrics!!

Ann said...

You've made a wonderful pillow with so many beautiful associations. Good job! I always admire your fabric collection. So much better to use it... now. I'm noticing how much more tired I get these days. It does focus our efforts into what we really want to do.
I don't like sharing health information broadly either but would be happy to hear from you any time you want or need an ear. You add so much color to this grey world.

audrey said...

Maureen, my heart just sunk when you started describing your health issues, but I think I understand why you decided to share. LOVE the way your approached your last project stalling and now you have a beautiful, very sentimental pillow to make you smile everytime you see it. Life indeed is very short and we should all make the most of our opportunities for joy. Thank you for continuing to share your quilting adventures and wonderful outlook on life. Be well.:)

Sue said...

A beautiful cushion Maureen. So sorry to hear of your health problems. You are quite right about what doesn't matter....the points meeting etc in your quilting. The main thing is to keep enjoying your quilting. Sometimes sharing a problem helps cope with it, and from what I've read, everyone is happy to lend an ear. Stay safe Maureen.

gayle said...

Sending hugs and wishes that you enjoy every moment of every day. No time for worries when there are pretty colors to play with!