Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Something different

The heat here in Auckland is wreaking havoc in the garden


I think these will be the last few blooms on my sweet peas!
Wish you could smell the scent - sensational!

Two posts ago I had a squirrel arrive in the studio - that particular one has decided to go 
back into hibernation, but a little friend stepped in



and it's quite a change for me!
This photo is from a Judy Newman book
Quilts for life made with Love
and she named it
Into the Woods.
Very old fashioned and definitely subdued but a few days ago
I was looking through a photo album which contains
the one and only photograph of my paternal Grandma,
she died when my Dad was 15yrs so of course I sadly
never knew her.
Had she been part of my life I like to think that at some point
I would have made a quilt for her.
I'm making it now.
This is going to be a simple Hourglass block, no Dresden Plates
and in honour of my Grandma will be known as
'Hannah's Garden"

Starting off with triangles, four of each fabric 


and ending up with three trays full including the one below


so far



just going on the wall to see if I like the feel of them - I do - so I'm going to
carry one and I'm feeling the need to see the end result quickly.
When I have the full amount stitched then I can play with placement.
However, the thought suddenly hit me that I needed a border fabric to
fit in with the fabrics, after a quick hunt in the stash I found one which I think
fits the bill.




The lighting for these two photos above is just shocking, apologies
but I will have two more up to date ones in my next post!!

Just to stress that the quilt above is a one out of the box for me, here are a few of my new
fabrics from Kaffe Collective 2020




back in a few days with my diamond quilt all quilted and bound,
see you all then.

Maureen

14 comments:

Janie said...

The Judy Newman design is beautiful and Hannah's Garden is a good choice for the name.
And the colors of the sweet peas look amazing! Thanks for sharing, I can almost smell them.

Nancy J said...

Beautiful, soft, gentle , and the name is perfect. Then along come more of Kaffee glorious bright colours, this too will be a beauty.

Julierose said...

Just love your hourglass blocks--the fabrics are so luscious--beautiful work hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

Yes, I like this and love your story idea for doing it. Sometimes the story in your head needs to express itself.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Hot? Schools are closed today due to snow and high winds. Hard to imagine a sweet pea about now. The new quilt is looking wonderful. You have a magnificent stash and you are not afraid to use it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the old fashioned feel and look of this quilt!

Linda said...

Love your story about your grandmother, the sewing bug must be in the genes. Your Hour glass blocks are very pretty, such gentle colours and fabric designs. But those new Kaffe fabrics are fabulous! Not seen either of these collections before. Beautiful!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like your new quilt idea. I like to make something old fashioned looking new and then too.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love how you have taken a traditional block and given it a touch of something new! Your 'tilda' fabrics are looking great!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the idea and the fabrics for Hannah's Garden - enjoy the making of it!! And I grew up loving sweet peas - they lined the entire back yard of my grandfather's house.

Kaja said...

I like the idea of making a quilt for the grandmother you never knew and you have chosen such pretty fabrics. I think you have hit a lovely balance between modern and old-fashioned.

gayle said...

I love your new squirrel! It's going to be a beautiful quilt. And it really is a change from your usual bright colors!

Ann said...

What a beautiful mix of fabrics. They look both old-fashioned and sophisticated. I like the way your hourglasses are moving in and out of focus. This will be a lovely tribute to your grandmother.

O'Quilts said...

sweetpeas bring sweet memories of my grandmother..and growing up in Phoenix, Arizona