Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Quilts, Crutches and Covid 19


This is the March photo on my calendar - as soon as I turned
the page over I thought immediately of
Wanda at
who is a fan of zebras!



Having been fighting a nasty infection for the past two weeks and doing a real good
job of damaging my knee (hence the crutches) my sewing has been nil.
Hopefully another week of physio and being careful will
mean I can get back to the machine.

Because of the above I'm very late in showing the finished Diamond quilt for my friend
 dealing with tremendous health issues.
This was couriered down to her and I was thrilled to have
a 'phone call as soon as she received it telling me how much she
loved it, she spotted the pear fabric immediately (see previous post).
 Green Guinea Flower
was the fabric I chose to bind with for continuity of the
filler shapes around the diamonds.

 Quilted  by Leeanne at
Quilt Me Kiwi
the pattern is Full Feathers
Quilt measures 49" x 73"


It was a great day for photographing, not too bright so what you see here
is spot on for colour.
Here's a close up of the quilting, shows beautifully
on the pear diamond, I loved the colour of the
 cotton Leeanne used.


The significance of this particular fabric was mentioned in my last post.

We are all aware of Covid 19 and the effect on world populations,
here in New Zealand our Prime Minister yesterday announced a raft of new
measures to be taken to hopefully limit the number of cases
which could develop in New Zealand.
She's doing a tremendous job. Not everyone will be happy with
the decisions but we need to do all we can to limit the spread.

On that note I'll end this brief post and go read all your latest blog
posts, sitting at the computer has been impossible at times so
I'm awfully late with my reading.

Sleep being difficult presently, I've been up bright and early
and the bonus has been seeing the glorious sunrise in the
mornings, I loved the pop of light blue  in the one below.


Until next time-
keep safe!!
Maureen



17 comments:

Janis said...

Your diamond quilt is so beautiful. I’m happy for your friend to receive it and trust it will give her much comfort knowing that she is so loved.

Nancy J said...

I loved your quilt when I saw it the other day, on Leeanne's blog, and what a pattern chosen, superb.This was made with love. Covid 19, we are all affected in one way or another, a friend has cancelled her 80th birthday party in early April, in Auckland, family from overseas would face self isolation. My long time friend in Townsville has cancelled her holiday here, also in April, one man from Australia flew in while waiting for test results, and now he is positive! Our supermarkets seem to have ample stock so far, last Tuesday we found everything we needed.
Crutches, sometimes necessary, but what a nuisance too. Hope your knee is a lot better now. And I love the quilt.XXXXX
p.s. I have stocked up on the essentials, batiks and more..

Linda said...

The Diamond Quilt is just beautiful. No wonder your friend phoned you immediately, she must have been thrilled! Hope you will soon be on the mend, make sure you take all precautions regarding Coronavirus. It is very scary as we in the UK are experiencing at the moment.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your diamond quilt and hope you start to feel better soon and your friends also. Hope all goes well in New Zealand

Linda Swanekamp said...

The diamond quilt lives up to its name- sparkles with color! So sorry you have been sidelined again. Rest up and get inspired by fondling fabric and looking at blogs and books. Everybody is crazy here about the virus. Buying everything in stores like maniacs with no shortage here, just hoarding. Just looking at the colors in your diamonds makes me smile.

Debbie said...

What a beauty you sent your friend! The diamonds just sparkle in it. Stay strong, hang in there fighting your infection and on crutches! What an ordeal you are going thru. Soon, very soon, you can sew again. The virus will pass if we just use common sense.

Louise said...

Oh, what a gorgeous finish, Maureen! I'm not surprised one bit with how thrilled your friend is with her lovely gift. We are currently in the Bahamas, hopping between tiny islands and avoiding Nassau where the cruise ships visit. We feel very lucky and safe from exposure here. The downside is that should we get sick, there is zero medical help. Most islands have a tiny clinic with a nurse that visits maybe weekly. Fortunately, we are in a low risk cohort :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the calendar page, thanks for posting it!

Your friend's quilt turned out just beautifully and I'm sure she will enjoy looking at all of the fabrics in it every day.

Julierose said...

What a lovely gift for your ailing friend...she will be sure to think of you warmly each time she looks at it...;)))
Sorry to hear about your knee acting up...
My husband tried to go out for a solitary walk at a playing field near us that is usually empty on weekends...and was met with children at baseball games, playing basket ball in groups--what is wrong with people?? Social distancing people!! Aaargh!! Not thinking that they could be infecting others...and so it goes...
We are hunkering down here and staying calm as we can...avoiding repeated news horror reports...hope you are okay hugs, Julierose

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I'm sure your diamond quilt is so appreciated by your friend. So thoughtful of you! I still have to keep going to work but am trying to stay home when I'm off. I do hope you take care of yourself and that you'll be back to normal soon!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely quilt, full of Kaffe colour! And I'm sure it will be very much loved.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, that sunrise! Sorry to hear that you are so challenged physically at the moment - that cannot be any fun at all. But that diamond quilt -- you did a fabulous job and the quilting really finishes it perfectly. So glad your friend called you when it arrived!

Julie said...

The sunsets and sunrises have been stunning lately, Take care of yourself. Happ sewing and blog reading.

Ann said...

You made a beautiful quilt for your friend and I’m glad she received it now. It must be incredibly difficult to be sick during this emergency. All our regular medical appointments have been postponed and we are sheltering in place like you are. Hopefully our actions will halt the progression of this virus. Blessing to you all.

Janie said...

Beautiful zebras and quilt, thanks for sharing.
And your sunrise photo is glorious. Get better soon!

Kaja said...

Your diamonds have become such a beautiful quilt, I'm glad it has made it to your friend now. I hope your knee mends soon and that you stay safe from the virus.

Raewyn said...

I'm so pleased you got the quilt delivered to your friend okay - it's beautiful! It sounds like you are having a tough time at the moment- I hope your health improves and you get a little more sleep too. Gorgeous sunrise photo.