Waiting In The Wings

Friday, March 20, 2020

A squirrel along with Autumn blooms

The thought of waiting one week before getting to the machine
again was making me pretty frustrated - so another squirrel appeared
which involved very little effort and very little thought.


Definitely simple but having bought some of the
Ombre fabrics by Jennifer Sampou I decided to also
buy the book. Immediately a table runner had my attention,
I fell for the colours used and decided this was an ideal
project for me at this moment in time.

I had a reel of Aurifil thread which matched pretty well too


 so I'm on my way and hopefully this will be
a finished runner top next week.

Autumn weather has been kind to us, the evenings are cooler and
sleep is much easier.
The garden is showing signs of the lack of water sadly and some blooms are fading fast
whilst others are just opening.


My favourite hydrangea in her Autumn colours

Little miniature cyclamen under the hydrangeas

Hips of Rosa Multiflora
and just opening outside my studio window

The first camellia to bloom
Back to waiting to catch the latest news update on television, our border
is now closed, strict measures are in place re numbers of people
gathering together and I suspect stricter ones again within a day or so.
Isolation measures have been in place for a while. Instructions
to practice social distancing - no nearer than 2 metres to another person,
and many others.
I'm staying home, only going out for necessary medical appointments
and just had the influenza vaccine this afternoon, husband also.
These were due to begin April 1st but over 65yrs and people with 
chronic underlying health issues were able to have them
as from yesterday. The intention is to try and reduce the effect
on the medical systems of having to deal with any Covid 19 patients and influenza
patients at the same time.

We are now living in a different world - let's all try and keep safe and well
and hope that eventually this virus will be beaten.

Take Care

Maureen

11 comments:

Nancy J said...

We were at our GP on Tuesday, and the flu vaccination wasn't mentioned, maybe too early down here. I'm sure you will find ample to do if at home for some time, the one thing I would miss is the public library, so far ours is open, but at the doctor's waiting room, no magazines at all. Sensible. Stay home, and stay well.XXXXX

Linda said...

Keep busy and well Maureen. Enjoy your garden, love those mini cyclamen.

Julierose said...

Stay safe Maureen...we are sheltering home here, too. I am trying to
decide how to put my son-in-law's quilt strips together : with batting and quilt by strip or the whole thing...I don't know how my machine would react to that batting going across the feed dogs--if it would catch? anyway that's my puzzle for today...hugs and I love that hydrangea--just gorgeous colors..Julierose

Debbie said...

Our blooming season is just beginning, so your garden photos are welcome here!
Yes, our world is forever changed, I fear. This virus is very serious and will not just go away. It may be months before we see things ease up. So do the right things and stay safe. I do have hope in a new research treatment using antibodies that I think is brilliant and may work.

Quiltdivajulie said...

We've been staying in for a week now - one trip out in all that time. Younger son has moved from his apartment across town to our house (he is high risk). Other son has to go to work (hospital - tech side - super busy with the massive shift to online/video conferencing). DIL is now working from home. Little Man's school is open but only for healthy preschoolers - they check temps each morning at the door. Fever? Go home. Always surprises me that your flowers are fading as ours begin to poke their noses up through the soggy dirt.

Louise said...

I know you are smart and will take all the precautions, Maureen. Meanwhile, you have some truly gorgeous fabrics to play with! I love how you've combined those ombres so far :)

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Such pretty colors. And I love the hydgrangea colors. Beautiful. I'm looking at a white world outside today after a snow storm yesterday but temps are to be in the 60s next week. Spring and winter play tag here in Colorado.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the cyclamen blooms. My mother always grew them as a houseplant when I was little.

Janie said...

Your hydrangea's autumn colors are gorgeous.
And I like your blocks.
We've hit spring here! The mourning doves have paired up, California Sunflowers are blooming.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Be well and stitch on!!
We are on lock down. It would be so much easier to accept if the sun would just shine and warm things up.
xx, Carol

Ann said...

I'm always intrigued how well your fabrics and flowers match. Lucky you to have such beauty in your house and garden. At least we have lots of fabric to play with.