Waiting In The Wings

Monday, August 10, 2020

Back to sewing - slowly

 I'd like to say a big thank you here to everyone who sent me their best wishes,
following my last post, I was really in a bad place with the pain in my arm and hand
 so your good wishes helped raise my spirits.

Before I continue I have reverted back to Legacy blogger because trying to write this post I
seem to be having double line spacing with the new interface and can find no way to change to single,
is anyone else having this problem, have blogger changed the setting?

Last post I was here


with my Medallion quilt.

All quilting and typing came to a stop as a hook shape bone spur on 
the very tip of my R elbow hooked up my ulnar nerve going down to
the inside of my arm and hand. Apparently I screamed as it happened!
Tendon is very inflamed, pinkie and ring finger are affected, weakened and with
grip problems
and also my wrist.
Wearing a brace now, told to use
it all the time for up to 3 months and over the past four days I have been able to
get to the machine for a little time each day.

So two days ago  I was here


and you will see that the points on four sides are chopped off,
this is the pattern!! Actually I quite like the look but I was surprised when
I read that they were to be 'sacrificed'.
The first narrow border should have been black following the pattern instructions
but I did my own thing and went with some AMH fabric.
My stitching leaves a little to be desired here and there but
it's so awkward with my right hand braced.

Yesterday I worked a little more on the quilt and again this
morning and now I am here


and once again I've gone my own way because the top and bottom borders
were supposed to be small HSTs and I knew that was a no go right now so
I just used two simple strips. The colours are showing darker again, I'll try and figure out what
the problem is by next post.
The inner border is 1" finished and the outer ones 2" finished and the
present measurement is 24 and 1/2" square. 
I'm going to have to re-think the next few borders as I can't take on lots
of stitching with small pieces.
Something tells me my Postage Stamp blocks may be on hold for a while!

Let's see if the two close-ups I took are true to colour



and no, they are too dark!!

I've been reading a lot, having after lunch naps, swallowing
pain meds and watching favourite videos!
 I haven't read any blogs, but I'll get back into my routine tomorrow.
I've also enjoyed daily wanderings in the garden to see what's coming into early 
Spring like bloom.

Here's a favourite daylily


and two beautiful camellias



taken after a rain shower.
That's all from me right now, it has taken me
for ever to produce this post, hopefully the next one will
be a speedier process.

Keep safe and well.

Maureen

18 comments:

Julierose said...

I am having the same issue and others with New Blogger so I
reverted to Legacy also..
Nice piece you are working on..take care and rest up
hugs from afar julierose

Louise said...

I'm amazed you can sew even this much with your arm in a brace! It's a gorgeous medallion. I recognize many of the fabrics and you're right that the photos are darker than real life, but the overall sense of it shines through. I love that you are using the more interesting fabrics to take the place of the tiny piecing. It doesn't need any small HSTs to be beautiful :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I also reverted to Legacy Blogger. I cannot stand the type choices in the new and the way the photos work. I will probably be forced to change soon. I am amazed you could sew such a complicated design with the brace. Your fabric choices are amazing. Love the flowers. Sounds like a real painful condition, like you needed another one. So glad you could sew and post, even at a slowed and painful pace.

Debbie said...

Blogger is acting the same for me. Glad you were able to post this much!
That condition with the nerve sounds awful! Nerve pain is bad enough, but when you mess up the grip and wrist things go south real quick. That is why I have turned to very simple piecing patterns. And who cares about a few points....I are entitled to sew what works for you. But I know how very frustrating it is. A little sewing each day is good therapy.

Linda said...

Poor you, sounds a horrific problem. New one to me. Do be careful about how much sewing you do. Your quilt is coming along beautifully, I think you’re wise to alter “the recipe” to something more suited to your current difficulties. And definitely no Postage Stamps sewing! Take care, get well soon. ♥️

EYSchmitt said...

I love what you're working on!

gayle said...

So good to see a post from you! (You know how we worry...)
Your medallion is beautiful - as usual your use of color is just a delight to the eye!
Heal fast and stay safe! (Don't overdo!)

barbara woods said...

Having the same problem! and can't get it to stop but I am still fighting it because I heard that they were stopping legacy soon.

O'Quilts said...

Sooo happy to see you back...Glad you can sew something...bad luck I am afraid....As for the new blogger, I am having terrible times controlling the settings ugh..Why in the world would they do this in the middle of Covid...ugh We are stressed enough Be save xo

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your new project has some exciting fabric choices. When your fabrics are busy you don't need tiny piecing. I hope your arm heals well. Will they go in and file off the spur?

Sue said...

I love what you have done with your little quilt Maureen. Your fabric choices are great. I have a large bundle of KF fat quarters, and am trying to work out what to do with them. :)

I am so sorry to hear of your latest health predicament. Some people just get more than their fair share. At least if you can do a little sewing each day it'll keep you sane. Lol!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving where this is going Maureen, very eye catching! Don't over do the sewing, it can wait! The new blogger is a pain but I'm working thru' it.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

p.s. I love that stripe in the outer border!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are not alone with the double spacing issue (clearly, from the number of replies). Supposedly they are working on it but they state they are a smallish group working with very old code on software that serves millions of users. Sigh. I absolutely LOVE your medallion and the alternations you are making (and I'm so sorry you are dealing with the pain and the brace and the frustration). I so admire your color sensibility.

Ann said...

Your quilt is stunning because of your marvelous fabric and color choices. I'm surprised you can work on it at all with your arm. I hope you continue to improve. Take care.

FlourishingPalms said...

First of all, I'm so very sorry about your bone spur! Goodness, that sounds dreadful, and painful. Your problem is a good reminder to me to not whine about little things - there's always someone else who has it worse. I hope you see improvement soon! Second, I adore the block you're making. Of course, it's the colorful prints that are very appealing and make me happy. You too, I'm sure. As for the New Blogger, I'm getting better at navigating it. I've found that the two times I've raised an issue by sharing a specific problem, both of my concerns were fixed. Though no one contacted me, I found that whatever I was trying to do before that didn't work, did work the next time. So maybe mentioning your problem will make a difference. Also, if I may make a suggestion... could you please left-justify your text? It's very difficult to read center-justified text. I learned this while earning my journalism degree, and find that it hurts my eyes to track text that is centered. Of course, this is just my suggestion. Others may not find it difficult to read. Do take care of yourself! Heal soon!

audrey said...

I had trouble with the double line spacing and later figured out that somehow a 'link' mode had been activated somewhere at the top of the post. Very annoying. So glad things are getting better with you, but wowsers, that sounds like it was extremely painful! Interesting to hear that your block pattern has you sacrificing the points on purpose. All patterns should be so obliging.:) lol

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're having all this pain. I do hope you feel better soon. Your quilt is coming along fine despite your health problems. I like the changes you made. I hope you rest and let everything heal. The new blogger is definitely difficult to deal with. Please rest and feel better!