Waiting In The Wings

Friday, July 2, 2021

Liquorice Allsorts

My last post HERE was focused on the start of a new quilt,
Stamps and Bricks.
I showed a few early 9 patch blocks - bright blocks!

As I placed more and more pieces up on the wall I became more and more
excited, this quilt just called out to be named

Liquorice Allsorts

 those of you who grew up in the UK or are still living there will surely know
how popular these sweets were, especially as children, and I think every
sweet shop in the country had them on the shelves.

For those who are not familiar with Allsorts they were, as the name suggests,
based on liquorice and were brightly coloured. They were definitely a favourite
of mine.

A number of years ago just on Christmas I spied tin boxes of these delights
on a shelf in the supermarket, one just had to come home with me

and oh did we all enjoy them - the 'kids' ( 45 to 52 yrs now) were delighted!

You can see the bright colours of the sweets, there was more selection than
shown on the tin.

Back to quilts - the centre block is 32" square presently, because of all the colour
I decided to go with a narrow border break - what else could I use but
Kaffe Fassett Guinea Flower in White, this echoes the 9 patch directly in the centre.

Aboriginal Dot in Orchid is used for the alternating squares,
it looks black in the photo but in reality is more purple/aubergine.

The only other patchwork related happening was pulling out my
spare parts box, this post from quiltdivajulie inspired me, but I had one
heck of a shock at the amount tucked in there. I pulled out
two Churn Dash bocks which I had made many years ago
when I was just discovering KF fabric, at least in the left block.

I had obviously become a devotee by the time this block below was made


but don't let the photo above fool you, for some un-known reason
I had done this
  

yes, what I pulled out was two halves!!
I truly do not remember doing this at all.
I promptly closed the box in case there were any more halves lurking there.
On a positive note my love of the Churn Dash block has been
re-kindled so watch out for a visit from the squirrel.

That's enough from me right now, closing with one of the beautiful
camellias flowering in the garden


Have a happy weekend, see you next week.

Maureen







14 comments:

Nancy J said...

Those square allsorts are a true favourite of mine, right next to " Sherbet Dabs" with a real liquorice straw, in a little white paper bag, top folded into a point with the straw poking out. Love your blocks, and the block in half, don't look for any more!!!

Julierose said...

Beautiful Allsorts piece--Quiltdivajulie inspires me a lot, too;)))as do you...
Beautiful camellias...such a vivid color, hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

The Liquorice Allsorts quilt is delightful. It does look like black, but your use of the dark purple inspires me to consider that for a future project. And I wonder what you were thinking when you cut the churn dash in half. It does have possibilities though if combined with a solid in a HST.
Pat

Linda said...

Liquorice Allsorts quilt looks great. My favourite sweets too - still are. Never liked the coconut ones but the bright blue and pink “seedy” ones are my absolute favourite! Those orphan KF Churn dash blocks are beautiful. Do make some more and turn them into a pretty quilt

Quiltdivajulie said...

Those halves could make into some pretty cool half square triangles . . . I LOVE the center of Licorice Allsorts - so vibrant and dynamic and downright saturated.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Oh my, your Liquorice Allsorts is so striking. Love the dark background.

O'Quilts said...

Love love love, Maureen

Linda Swanekamp said...

I guess we did not have those candies in my area when I was growing up. When I was really little, my grandma owned a penny candy, newspaper, and tobacco store. She would give me a little bag and told me to fill it. I always went for the chocolately stuff. Love how the quilt turned out. I am not usually a black fabric person, but this is lovely. Good to see your inspirations.

gayle said...

I love your Liquorice Allsorts quilt! What a joy!
And I suspect a squirrel sliced that churn dash. Who knows what he was up to...

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love that little quilt and the Aboriginal Dot is a perfect "solid" to use with all of the bright colored squares.

I thought all Camellias were white. I don't think I have ever seen one in person.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love your Licorice Allsorts quilt. The colors are fantastic. Poor little churn dash block - that looks like something I would do on an impulse. :)

QuiltGranma said...

Since I love all kinds of interesting tins, I love your Allsorts tin! What fun memories you must have, and are recreating with your interesting quilts! I have an interesting tin I got at a yard sale/rummage sale that has a handle and closure on it, that I keep tools in for my Singer Sing Featherweight and Singer 301A. Another with a handle on it holds game parts for table games. Others with out handles may hold specialty threads, or be filled with hand quilting goods.

Ann said...

I like liquorice so will look for this charming tin somewhere. We tend to get candy in plastic. I can't think of any American varieties that come as beautifully wrapped.
And your delightful quilt evokes that colorful tin. So clever of you. I like your border choice, too.
Our latest rainstorm brought out a ton of snails. I spent the day picking them off the plants. Must get some diatomaceous earth next.

Kaja said...

I have to confess I don't like Allsorts, but I like your quilt-y version very much. The black makes a perfect foil for all those lovely bright squares.