Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Crumbs and early Kaffe books

 Actually this small piece is made up with cut up HSTs but
the result does look like small pieces sewn together individually.

So my last post I was here

 

Next I added a 1" finished Spot border followed
by a 2 and 1/2" finished border of the left over HSTs sewn together
in no particular order. 



I simply cut the top and bottom border at the required length of
23 and 1/2"
then repeated the two sides with 28 and 1/2"
so nothing matches, no good looking for points meeting up,
just ad hoc,  easy peasy!
I followed on with another narrow 1"finished Spot


and this is as far as I go I think, simply because I have no idea right now where to go from here!
This really was only a sort of practice piece, but I do like it very much,  mainly
 because I love all shades of purple/lavender.

Apart from Crumbs all I have to show since my last post is the find
of five Lego blocks in my Spare Parts box, completely forgotten why
I stored them away here, but together with my latest Lego blocks stored in their project box
I now have 10 in total!! A bonus find I think.


My aim here is for a 50" x 60" lap quilt.

Stop Press - See the bottom of the post following on from the shell- something for all Kaffe fans!!

To tone down the colour a little here's a photo of a shell found
on the local Sandspit beach, beautifully soft and restful and although I zoom in on the
bright colours I do also like the pastel shades.


A quilt using these shades of cream, and peach is possible.
Not including the brown!

For Kaffe fans here are  two very, very early books of his


published and purchased by me in 1985 - don't know how the tear came into being
as I treasure my books and treat them like gold dust, anyways next up



published and bought by yours truly in 1987.
Just click to enlarge.

See you all soon.

Maureen





14 comments:

Julierose said...

Loving those lego blocks, Maureen..I had those two Fasse knitting book too--such inspiring photography in them...
Hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

I, too, have the first one, birthday present from a daughter way back in those days. Love your top quilt, gloriously full of colour. Update!!! I am off to Wellington on 22nd, Cardiac Cath Theatre 7.30 a.m. on 23rd. I am so lucky, the same surgeon as last June.

MissPat said...

I love the way you made the border fabric for the first piece from the cutoff HSTs. It's glorious made fabric and I like not having to match points, too. And the lego blocks are interesting. I think I looked them up once, but don't recall where I found them. Good way to use up scrap strips.
Pat

Barb N said...

Glad to hear your appointment had a great outcome! I love the purple quilt! What a creative way to use the churn blocks. I'm intrigued. Could this be my next scrappy project....

Quiltdivajulie said...

I absolutely love what you did with those chopped up HSTs - paired with the purples it is just wonderful. KF's books are inspirational even though I rarely use his pattern designs. The photography is always stunning.

Robin said...

I was always fascinated with the book "Glorious Inspiration". I checked it out of the library a number of times. The needlepoint is so gorgeous. Enjoyed your blog today - thanks.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your chopped up patchwork quilt. The purples are such a great backdrop for all of the color in the chopped up pieces.

I first heard of Kaffe through his knitting books back when knitting machines were popular in the 1990s. I was actually in England when his first patchwork quilting book was released in 1997.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your HST made with crumbs & those solid purples! And your borders are perfect! Very visually colourful!

Quilting Babcia said...

I just love the HST made fabric and purple solids! And the polka-dot borders are the perfect finishing touch for this quilt top.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Yum! All that purple and scrappy goodness. Your quilt top is looking splendid.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely colors, what a pretty and bright quilt!

Louise said...

Oh, those purples are just luscious! And how fun to see those older books. I had the same hairstyle as the gal on the first cover back in 1985 :)

audrey said...

No need to tone down the color, it's all so very gorgeous and quite a treat to the eyes! I really like the scrappy quilt, but the hst's is wonderful. Looks like you're having great fun making it up as you go along and that is worth its weight in gold!

Ann said...

Your beautiful prints combine with those purples to glow. So lovely. And such a clever idea to use more HST scraps for the border. Good luck building your Lego blocks. A lap qui.t sounds right.
I remember Kaffe’s early knitting books. Such good designs made me wish I knitted… and lived somewhere I could wear them. Ha.