Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Sunday sewing with Hannah

Almost finished up sewing block seams, more tomorrow and then, hopefully, a completed top on Tuesday

and then a full photo without the addition of my chair back and small ironing surface. Just click to enlarge the photo. Oh for a larger design wall. This was such an easy quilt to make, perfect for using up already cut 2 and1/2 "strips or a jelly roll.

Here I've used strips left over from other projects and also I cut into odd shaped large scraps, a few I also cut from favourite yardage. Two strips I particularly wanted to use were short of a 13" length but by scratching around in my very small scraps I found tiny pieces and stitched together, it is after all a scrappy quilt, here's a joined up strip, tiny piece LH side. 


I began with neat stacks of 13" strips, two of which are below, lots more not in the photo. The throw size is 60" x 72" and I gaily kept on going hunting strips, I only needed 120 but when counting up found that I had stacked 260, perhaps there will be a second Hannah quilt in the future.


Here's how they ended up after random pulling out of pieces


and there are more of these covering the cutting table. Guess what I'm going to be doing come Tuesday!

For a break last week kind husband drove me to the new premises of The Ribbon Rose, a well established store for many, many years here in Auckland. Recently they moved and what a treasure filled three storey building they now occupy. The fabric floor is amazing and it goes without saying that I found a few KF fabrics on sale, just a few quarters came home with me. Large bins had simply rolled up metre lengths of fabrics at good prices, I took a chance and bought this one


delighted when I came back home and unrolled, below is a small section of the full piece.


I just love this!!

Books are a passion of mine, all my life I have been a voracious reader but over the past few years this pleasure, for various reasons, seemed to have been left behind a little. I'm now back on board with books and there are quite a few on my bookshelves which I have never read, some have been read many times over  because they were so exciting, moving and so very interesting.

Two below, the cover of the first one is self-explanatory, having worked in a Pathology Lab for a number of years in long ago days, and also spent time in General Practice surgeries as receptionist, I was excited to find this book a little while ago. 


These Precious Days is a collection of essays  by Ann Patchett, each essay stands alone. I see myself keeping this one to read during quiet time in the evening, perhaps even when settled in bed with a nice hot drink!



Perhaps I could write a little about my thoughts on a particular essay after reading here on the blog.

Silly mistake made by me in my last post.  I spoke about making a quilt for our "soon to be grand-daughter" - the quilt will actually be for our great grand-daughter!

That's all from me for now, a rest day today after a family lunch here at home yesterday on my husband's 80th birthday, we had such a happy time but I was shattered by early evening and my bed called to me earlier than usual.

Maureen

10 comments:

loulee said...

A very bright and happy quilt top.

Kaja said...

It is satisfying, I find, to use tiny scraps the way you have, to eke out the yardage. Your pile of messy strips is pretty much the way it always looks when ai am working. Happy birthday to your husband!

Juliana said...

So glad you and your husband had a little shopping trip and that you found some beautiful fabric on sale! I really enjoy Ann Patchett's essays. It's wonderful that you are loving reading again.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm glad to see that you have your hands into fabrics again, and seem to be happily creating. How great to use-up fabric strips like that! Such a colorful, happy quilt design. And it's great that you could visit a fabric shop too. Selections are very limited where I live, so I appreciate, for you, your access to what you want. It's good to know you're reading too. While I'm still a big fan of audiobook-listening, I occasionally pick up a title to print-read. Looks like you have some good titles to anticipate. Enjoy!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

'Hannah' is looking delightful, such a simple layout but visually captivating!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am really liking your version of the Hannah pattern! And hooray for having leftover strips to try another version . . . I have a low volume version cut out - goal is to have it ready for January when the low volume quilts replace the colors from December. Happy birthday to your husband and here's to reading (I have been doing some of that in the evenings and enjoying it).

Linda Swanekamp said...

Beautiful version of Hannah. Your colors always make me smile and relax. Make sure you rest! Glad you bought that gorgeous piece of fabric.

MissPat said...

I love the snappy, bright colors in your Hannah quilt. Yes, putting away the leftover strips will be a bit tedious, but necessary unless you dive right in and make another Hannah. I enjoy Ann Patchett's books and can't wait to read her new one. Happy Birthday to you husband.
Pat

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have pieced fabric to make the desired size too because sometimes it is so important to use that particular fabric. It rarely is noticeable.
How nice to get out for a little shopping trip and to find nice fabrics on sale.

Ann said...

I I laughed when I read how many scrap pieces you’d collected. That’s exactly what happens to me and how I end up with two or three of each scrap quilt I start.