Waiting In The Wings

Saturday, October 7, 2023

September - quilting, a flood, a Featherweight and of course fabric

Let's deal with the flood as quickly as possible. 10 days ago, burst cold water pipe going to shower, 4.30am. Husband thought it was raining hard, water coursing through the new outside drain. Visit to the bathroom, stepped out the bedroom door and straight into water, through all the hall, the study and of course the bathroom, water just gushing. After 20 mins able to close off the mains. Now dealing with the aftermath - absolutely awful and very expensive - dealing with insurance at the moment and coping with huge de-humidifier machines to draw moisture from wherever!

On to quilting:  Northern Lights



begun hand quilting the  lilac pieces in the blocks using DMC Perle 8, the colour below, I love the variegated threads

next up will be the red/orange blocks, again variegated thread

I have yet to find a similar thread in a blue/green colourway. A good excuse to visit the patchwork store.

Fabric: Tilda Hibernation

This is such a sweet range and perfect for a quilt for a little girl, cue - expected great granddaughter, this will become part of a quilt when she's older. I'm a great believer in being prepared!

Here's one of the latest from Philip Jacobs - Curly Kale


I can't wait to be busy on a quilt using this fabric, the colours are beautiful. I see a border somewhere in the future.

Singer Featherweight 221K  

Bought around 25 years ago and I made one of my Indonesian batik quilts using this machine. Why this little beauty went back into her carrying case I can't recall but probably because I was making clothing in addition to quilts and it was easier to just have my Bernina set up.


A little history:

Production date was 14th September 1953 and  5,000 were commissioned.
She was produced in Kilbirnie, Scotland. Using her serial number I was able to gather the information above. Sadly her cable covering leading to the plug has given up totally, after 70 years I'm not surprised so it's off to the the repair shop within the next two weeks. I have looked at the price of a Featherweight here in New Zealand presently and they're really very expensive, this one cost me NZ$250. What sort of price are they in the USA?

I have never given any of my machines a name before but this one is different. Thinking of my younger days up to the age of around 15 years old, we had such delightful neighbours whom I loved dearly. All of my grandparents had died before I was born and so Mr and Mrs Wadsworth  became surrogate ones, at least to me. So this darling is going to bring back many happy memories by having the name Mrs Wadsworth!

The original manual and even the oil can, much troubled by old age, are still in the case but the attachments, of which there are many, are still in pristine condition.




If you have made it this far then congratulations! I do have a couple more photos if you can bear to continue, latest book from Kaffe Fassett - splendid and colourful as usual.


Two of my feathered friends soaking up the sun on the old verandah


The End!!

See you soon, happy quilting until then.

Maureen




16 comments:

Robin said...

Love what the variegated thread does for your quilt. It's very pretty. So sorry about all the flooding.

Nancy J said...

Oh Dear, you didn't need a flood. The Singer, probably much sought after, I have some blog friends who do all their seams on a singer, and other collect them, LOTS !!!Your hand quilting is beautiful. A little bit wet down here, fire is lit, cutting up some fabric for the owl bags WooHoo.!!! And that beautiful fabric, my favourite colours.,

Julierose said...

What a nightmare --your flooding!! My son and DIL had a similar problem...talk about water damage, huh? Hope you can get things back to normal soon...

I just love how your Northern Lights is looking--what a great idea for a quilt with those blocks of solid, vibrant color sprinkled throughout...just beautiful...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope things are drying up in your house. I can't imagine having all the damage that has caused.
It's always interesting to see how Kaffe has used some of his more unusual fabrics in the quilts in the books.

MissPat said...

Such a trial dealing with broken water pipes and the resulting flood. I love that Philip Jacobs fabric. What a delightful, inspiring color. I'd probably have trouble cutting it up.
Pat

Chris K. said...

Prices for the Featherweight on Ebay are all over the place, but I found one of your model for sale for US$430, or NZ$718.

We had a flood recently, too--leaking water heater. Yours sounds worse. Commiserations.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

The variegated threads look great! Sorry to hear about the flooding, always upsetting, sure hope things are under control now.
Did you like the latest Kaffe book? Anything in particular caught your eye?

Quilting Babcia said...

So sorry to hear about your flooding and the resulting damage. Your Featherweight is a real treasure, well worth the cost of updating the cord. Mine is about the same vintage, found at a Salvation Army shop over 25 years ago. Complete with book and accessories. They are scarce and difficult to find around here, prices will range from around $300 to $500 when they do show up at an antique shop. Paid $35 for mine because the appraiser thought it was broken, it wasn't - someone had inserted the needle backwards. We took it home and checked it out and put a new needle in and it's run perfectly ever since.

FlourishingPalms said...

First, I'm most sorry to hear about your excessive water and resulting flood and damage! What an awful surprise to awake to, and now dealing with the aftermath on top of your previous medical concerns. It isn't fair when life gives you lemons. I hope your insurance company comes through, and that all is restored in good time. Second, your Featherweight is charming (but then I think that about all Featherweights!). I bought mine at an estate sale in 1998 and paid $325 (came with the original oil can and pristine attachments, like yours) not knowing that the machine's bobbin case base had been stolen while it was on display at the sale! Very kindly, the estate agent split with me the cost for buying a replacement bobbin case base. Anyway, mine is a Centennial edition (has a special badge on the front) made October 26, 1950 in a batch of 50,000 machines! Are you sure yours came from a batch of only 5,000?

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yikes a flood! I can't imagine all the cleanup and mess and disruption. Thank God you did not skid or fall in the flood. My kitchen has been ripped up for a month and a half and has made me crazy. Cabinets in, but counter, sink and water another 12 days. Washing dishes in the bathroom or basement is awkward, cooking is challenging but nothing like dealing with a flood. Love that Tilda fabric, I think you hooked me on the fabric.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I absolutely loved this post (aside from the flood part, that is). Beautiful doves, gorgeous fabrics, wonderful Featherweight, and so much more!!!

Vicki W said...

I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with a house flood! I do hope things can get back to normal soon.

Ann said...

Your quilts, fabrics, thread, and doves are beautiful. Good to be prepared. I'm starting to set some quilts aside for future generations, too.
How disheartening to read about your flood. They are a trial here but worse when caused by equipment rather than Mother Nature. At least you're not competing with neighbors for the dehumidifiers. Wishing you the best of luck dealing with the mess and the insurance.
My mother gave me her Singer 221, about the same age. I'll have to look up the details.

Kaja said...

I'm sorry about your flood and hope you can get rid of all the excess moisture quickly. At least your fabric is dry! The threads are lovely and such a great match for your quilt. Featherweights are very expensive here too.

loulee said...

Beautiful quilting.

Janie said...

Yes, I'm sorry to hear of the flooding in your house, how unsettling! I'm glad too that no one was hurt. God bless you and your husband.
Thank you for sharing the beautiful color photos of fabrics and projects and the feathered friends do look all fluffed up getting warm.
Your Northern Lights quilt is gorgeous and the hand quilting is the perfect choice.
Happy quilting to you too!