Waiting In The Wings

Friday, May 17, 2024

Bramble Blooms top and a squirrel popped in from Across the Fields

After much dithering around with my BB1, begun when  Audrey began the Bramble Blooms QAL, I decided to just go with my central piece of applique and then borders, I concluded that even with Audrey's very welcome encouragement,  applique was just not for me.

So here is my Bramble Blooms


still needing to trim a few stray frays and straighten the bottom corners.

I knew I wanted to have the limey green colour of the small flowers in the appliqued blooms somewhere in the border. Tried so many greens, no luck,  until I dug deep in a pile of fabrics waiting to be sorted and found the butterflies - perfect! Hand stitching to be done on the blooms then waiting in line for quilting and red spot for the binding.

The squirrel hopped in as I was cutting for Across the Fields, I had a photo in my last post,  squares, then into triangles and I was just ready to cut the 12" strips



when Fonthill came into my mind - a KF pattern which I had planned to sew when Wanda was busy with her Fonthill, mine didn't happen but fabrics were more or less ready to go, problem had been the main fabric for two borders plus a few triangles here and there. Just playing with a mock up now before cutting more fabric, lots more playtime involved. I'll have a photograph of the KF quilt in my next post.


As you can see this is my sort of fabric! Alexander Henry from 2021 I believe and this was bought from  Material Obsession.

Using this fabric for Fonthill will be time consuming I'm sure,  I need a couple of easy projects to work on at the same time. Thinking time needed over the weekend.

Lots of you are posting beautiful garden photos, thank you for that and please continue doing so, we are cold and wet here in NZ and about to get colder!  My garden blooms are mostly finished but I have a photo of one of the last blooms on my Japanese Anemone or Windflower as I believe they're sometimes called.


Happy Quilting

Maureen


13 comments:

Julierose said...

I love your butterfly fabric surround--just perfect for this one, Maureen.

I think it is very difficult to try to emulate someone else's "style"--both of the method of making and especially choosing multiple borders for surrounds!

Hope you enjoy figuring out Fonthill...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you found that butterfly fabric. The color is just perfect with the center.
Have fun working on 2 quilts at once. That gives you time to think about one as you work on the other.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your Bramble Blooms is stunning - and good for you for doing it YOUR way. I love Audrey's work and her appliqué/hand quilting but that is not me so I know mine will always be different than hers.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your Bramble Blooms is coming out so great! I always love seeing your KF fabrics. I envy your fabric stash!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your bramble blooms medallion is striking! Love your centerpiece, and the frolicking butterflies are delightful in the border. The 'Fonthill' quilt has always been a fav of mine, looking forward to seeing more.

loulee said...

Bramble blooms is coming along very nicely.

audrey said...

your bramble blooms is just incredible! The butterfly fabric is delightful. Love the personal spin you put on this. so very you!:) Audrey

Quilting Babcia said...

For someone who doesn't care for applique you've done a spectacular job with this! The vase is beyond perfect and your butterflies borders are a wonderful finishing touch.

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous Brambles quilt. The centre vase of flowers is perfet

Janie said...

Good progress and color fun! I like the border decisions and your photo of your Japanese Anemone is beautiful.

Ann said...

So many things to like with your BB1. The colors - love that pink and green combination! The center octagon! The butterflies! We all do what we can ad yours is wonderful. I skipped most of the applique, too, although Audrey's is always exciting. You and I go for color every time. Enjoy.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Your quilts are always an inspiration of color and design to me. Garden is going great guns here.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love your BB, Maureen. I love how those pinks radiate outwards and it is such an overall vibrant piece. Pretty garden flowers too!