Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Magpie Memories




You may wonder why on earth I would post a picture of a couple of magpies sitting at the top of a Norfolk Pine tree in the garden next door - but there is a story behind my relationship with magpies which I will share with you.

Many years ago when we first arrived in Christchurch, New Zealand we had a house near  beautiful Hagley Park, amazing Botanic Gardens. Our youngest son was 5yrs old, had a new bike and he and I decided to head into the Gardens.  We headed for the huge stands of trees near the toilet block and he went in there for a visit parking his lovely shiny new bike with me. As he came out and we headed off a large bird flashed alongside of me very, very close and I thought I had just disturbed one hidden in the grass but it soon became obvious that they were magpies and out to get  me! I yelled at my son to head for the entrance gates quick as he could on his bike and I started to run after him with these birds chasing me.

I was suddenly knocked to the ground with amazing force and it registered that one of these birds had hit me in the back of the head. I made it to the gates with a beak hole in the back of my head and blood running down my neck. One visit to the doctor, antibiotics, dressings and a tetanus shot I was home again. I have NEVER liked magpies since, so when I saw one strutting down our driveway yesterday and then this morning to hear them calling merrily from the tree next-door I wasn't best pleased. Hopefully they keep well away from me.

Well, I had a quiet Easter wearing my splint, and so I haven't made much progress on my scrappy bargello nor the Kaffe Fasset quilt for my friend, in fact I haven't made any progress at all, so I have nothing exciting to show you, but I did take a photo of one of my favourite hibiscus last week


I have had a few emails asking about my header for the blog, my kaleidoscope quilt which I made for my doctor, his wife thought she would like to have a hanging on display in the surgery waiting room.  so I am including a shot of this but for some reason I can't locate the full shot with border so this one
will hopefully give you some idea of what it was like, I really enjoyed making this one and intend to make a full size bed quilt before too long. 


More of my ramblings later in the week, hope you will stop by again by which time I hope to have mastered the art of lining up my text !













  


3 comments:

  1. The beaks on those magpies look like they could be really dangerous so I can see why they caused a wound. How scary!

    I love your hibiscus bloom. Nature is so beautiful placing colors together in a bloom for our enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A crow is a crow, right? We have the Ravens here and they drive us crazy trying to open acorns on our roof. They also drive the other, smaller and more friendly birds away. That was a pretty scary experience with the Magpies... I would be leery of them too. Your Hibiscus is lovely with that gorgeous orange/coral color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    Your story about magpies sent shivers up my spine! We used to run in Woodhill forest a lot. The magpies used to swoop and whoosh around us. I hated the feeling. If I had ever been hit I think I would have totally lost it!

    Nice to see more of your header quilt.

    Cheers

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my corner of blog land, hope you'll call by again soon. If you'd like to leave a comment for me I'll get right back to you.