Waiting In The Wings

Monday, June 22, 2015

Note to self - remember to check measurements!!



Bit on the late side with this post - stupid mistake made
with the blocks for High Flyer - story below!
For RSC 2015 I have only three Scrappy Mountains to show





High Flyer
Halfway through cutting I obviously changed size by a half inch on the large
squares for the block - I also changed from putting the corners
on using small squares method in order to save fabric and
went to cutting triangles with my Accuquilt - bad move! I didn't pick this up until 
coming to sew rows together - outcome is 5 rows no good, so
I decided to cut more fabrics in the original correct size.

What to do with the odd rows?? Cut them up!!





So here we are with two set of strips, large triangles, large chunks for 15 minutes play
and small pieces for Scrap Vortex! I haven't even pulled out threads or
ironed before photographing.
The remaining large squares are the correct size, I just need to cut more of the blue
and purple for the small squares.
The pieces pictured above will be put in my parts box for a rainy day.

That's all from me but I'm heading off to see the weekend
posts to Angela at RSC 205

Have a good week!

8 comments:

Sally Trude said...

I made a scrap vortex box and that's where I'm putting my miscalculations. When I made the crane quilt last year I found I had two sizes of cranes and had to give some minor surgery.

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Must be the week for cutting mistakes, I have just cut the 60 degree triangles too small for the border of my quilt, I now have a fabric shortage and need to add more fabric choices in to compensate. They do say that quilts have a mind of their own. Love the 15 mins of play idea.

The Joyful Quilter said...

How frustrating for you. At least the pieces won't be wasted!! :o))

Magpie Sue said...

Now that I think about it, I had cutting errors this week too like someone else said! Maybe that bad cutting juju has passed now. Good save with yours though. :- )

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I'm impressed! Scrap piles are creating havoc around here for me this week, but I can see you deal to your scraps{aka cutting errors} beautifully & quickly! I'm also very interested to see how your " Scrappy Mountains" all look together now!

Dasha said...

What a bummer about the cutting errors. Just as well you had enough fabric to cut some more blocks.
BTW I love the colours of the fabrics in the header photo. They are stunning.

scraphappy said...

Sorry your blocks ended up the wrong size, but boy did it make pretty scraps. Always a bright side.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love being a scrappy quilter - makes handling mistakes (cutting errors) SO much easier to bear.

Lovely colors . . .