Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Snippets on Sunday

We're creeping ever closer to Christmas, how could the past 12 months have
moved along so very quickly!

First up before quilty photos see below. On the grocery shopping list 
was a bottle of a good, rich red wine for my pasta dish for the evening meal.
As soon as I spotted this one on the shelf,  I knew it had to come home with me!
A welcome addition to our meal.


I've been able to spend some time this week on my quilting,
first on my list was checking for stray threads
on two quilts ready to be sent off next week
for quilting.

First, with borders added, is Memory Quilt and you can see it was
a windy day. The story behind this quilt I will share in the New Year
when it's been quilted.


 A blip with the watermark, a practically non-existent 'z'.

Second quilt was made quite some time ago, around three years I think, from 
 Quilts in Morocco by Kaffe Fassett.

Blue Heaven

I thought the hydrangeas were a good match. 



A little more progress made with Mardi Gras


just pinned on the wall at the moment, 19 more blocks to make. I'll try different
settings when they're all finished. I'm loving playing
with strips and strings and as I have heaps I can see more string/strip quilts
in my future.

Something new now - I'm cutting solid 9" squares, 
the pattern is inspired by Sujata Shah and her
superb book Cultural Fusion Quilts. 
More squares to be cut this week. This is another in the
Memory Quilt category.


Time to go, a little time to spend on a few hexies and then
our two eldest grandchildren are coming for a meal with us.
Beatrice is the eldest at 19yrs and Charlie 17yrs.
Bea is training at a hair salon and Charlie heading off to
University in the New Year.
Doesn 't seem so long ago that we were sitting reading nursery rhymes
with them!!

Enjoy the coming week and hopefully not be too stressed
with preparations for Christmas. 


Maureen

21 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Yes your hydrangeas are a perfect match for the quilt. Your posts are always so colorful.

Clare M said...

Love everything about your "snippets." Fabulous colours in all your quilts and looking forward to seeing the new one with solids. Hugs

Kate said...

All three quilts are beautiful. I love Mardi Gras, such a riot of colors. Hope you had a great visit with the grands.

Julierose said...

Just lovely quilts all!;))) I especially like that background fabric on the 1st Memory quilt--so rich and lovely hope you are feeling better hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

The memory quilt looks great and we await its full story. Love that bottle of wine....think it was meant for you. Mardi Gras is an exciting one.

Kaja said...

Three gorgeous quilts - I'll look forward to your memory quilt post. I hope you too can enjoy the build up to Christmas - if things get stress-y maybe an extra glass of Patchwork wine...:-)

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Each of those quilts is inspiring. I have plans to cut a bunch of strips from my older fabric stash and have been on the look out for ways to use them. Your string quilt is giving me new ideas. Sujata's book is wonderful. I've made one quilt from it with hopes to make more. Enjoy the time with your older grandkids.

Louise said...

How fun to have a visit with your grandkids! They are practically adults now, aren't they? We, of course, have gotten no older at all :)

I love your Blue Heaven, especially next to the hydrangeas. Gorgeousness!

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE all the colors - enjoy those grands!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I had to laugh and laugh about the wine name! Love every quilt you showed- so juicy with colors. I have fabric chosen in bags for a couple of Sujata's quilts. I ran into her at Houston and chatted just a bit. Those hydrangeas have me drooling, especially as there is snow and ice outside. This year, it was so dry, I only got one flower each on all 4 hydrangeas.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Three lovely colourful quilts! Your 'mardis gras' is looking really great! I'm sure you had a great time with your grandchildren!

Ann said...

Perfect wine name. And three beautiful quilts. Yes, they match your hydrangeas. So clever of you.

Sally Trude said...

I love your border for the Morocco quilt. And the hydrangeas! I drove by a huge bush in its winter grays and browns and almost took a picture for you...except for the possible car crash...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

How have I missed that blue Kaffe quilt. That is lovely and needs to get quilted :)

And then sent to my house!

Julie said...

Love the richness and moodiness of colours in your memory quilt. Hope the wine was delicious.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Maureen boy what beautiful quilts,love them such happy colours. I am also your newest follower hope you will visit and follow me to.
I love the pic of those hydrangeas such pretty colours.
Great name your bottle of wine is called hope its a nice drop.

Nancy J said...

Flowers and Kaffee, gorgeous together. I am back online, and landline might follow later. A few hiccups with Vodafone and Pulse energy, but we are all OK. XXX

Janie said...

Your Kaffe quilt is stunning! And yes, the hydrangeas are a perfect match.
Have fun with your 'patchwork' and sounds like fun having grandkids over too.
Sujata's book is good and I'll enjoy seeing your new project come together.

Unknown said...

My goodness, you have much accomplished. I love all the quilts! I’m going back to check out the link with the p,win cottons.

Judy Martin said...

Beautiful making going on here. I think that those of us who create large pieces out of tiny ones find a serenity that has to do with growing, with expansion.

Congratulations on your work...xo and happy times with your grandchildren xo

Mandiri888 said...

I'm glad everyone came out of self-quarantine unscathed. I really like the smaller flying geese instead of the larger triangles. There is a fresh energy to the way it's taking shape!

slotmandiri888.com
slotmandiri888.com
slotmandiri888.com
slotmandiri888.com