Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, April 14, 2019

A happy find on Sunday and other matters

I'll come to the happy find shortly but first
I've been slowly cutting and sewing my Chain Link Fence
quilt - I have to say I'm finding this addictive!!
I'm time poor at the moment otherwise this quilt top
would be all sewn up.

Only a few rows complete at the moment and other bits
pinned on the design wall, I was going to write 'pinned haphazardly'
but I see that this actually means
'in a manner lacking any obvious principle of organisation'
and I do like to think there is a small amount of organisation here!




I've deviated slightly from the pattern in that I am creating stars here and there, this will be
more obvious as more rows are stitched.

On my agenda for tomorrow is the putting away of all the fabric below


consisting of pieces at the bottom of the tub and basket
from recent projects plus new fabrics on top - guess whose fabrics?

You may have seen in my profile at the top of my blog
that I come from Lancashire UK. I spotted on
Instagram a quilt pattern with the name
'Lancashire Spin',
this I have to make, hopefully this year.

My happy find is below.


 A fused piece made all of 15 years ago, I had hunted on and
off over the years to find where on earth I stashed it away.
Yesterday I found it, next step is a little quilting.
I needed my very best pair of embroidery scissors to cut around all
these little bits of coral and so on. Pretty hard on the fingers I can tell you.
Size of 17" square.
I think this was a McKenna Ryan pattern.

Finished with fabric now and should like to show you this photograph taken 
on Friday, there is a brief story that goes along with this bird, if you care to read.


A stunning looking magpie - I have a love/hate relationship with these.
Many years ago I was attacked by a magpie whilst walking through
a Christchurch park, noted for an abundance of magpies at certain times of the year in the
magnificent trees. Not a problem.
I was aware briefly of something brushing past my head, didn't really attach
any importance to it, perhaps a sparrow disturbed by my walking under
the trees. A moment later I felt as if I had been hit with a hammer on the
back of my head and was knocked to the ground. A magpie
had taken exception to my presence and decided to leave
me a reminder with a hole in the back of my head. 
Boy, did I put on some speed (yes, I could do that years ago) to reach home followed by a
visit to the doctor for cleansing the hole and the necessary tetanus jabs.
I can tell you they do leave a pretty big hole and an extremely sore head!!


On that note I shall take an early lunch, have a nap and then
back to the machine for more sewing.

Have a happy week ahead.


 Maureen


18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a really nice pattern, I like the fabrics you are using for it

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That quilt looks like half hexagons and equilateral triangles. I like it.

I would not want to be anywhere near Magpies if they are that mean!!

Clare M said...

Maureen I love your quilt pattern and can't wait to see the finished result. Might have to do one of these myself 😉 . Also think your treasured "find" is gorgeous. Well done with the fussy cutting.
We have a couple of magpies that call in during the winter when hungry. I try not to encourage them. Hugs

Julierose said...

Lovely chain in progress and cutest turtle piece, too. I don't know if we even have magpies here in our neck of the woods; but, sounds like they are not overly friendly ;000--that must have been painful...hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

I like your chain link fence and I think I spot a star. Very clever to put in secondary design! Love that big pile of fabric, wish I could dive into it! Very interested in your new pattern your found to try. The little applique is lovely. Will be a very pretty table top display.

Louise said...

Ouch!! We tend to think of birds as delicate little things, but they can be mean and aggressive! Evidence that they descended from dinosaurs, I think.

Your turtle piece is so great! I can't wait to see it all quilted up. And of course I'm loving where you're going with the Chain Link Fence, too. Hope you get some more sewing time this week.

Nikki said...

Love your half hexie quilt and the stars it will produce. I was born in Southport, Lancs and my sister in St. Helen's. We took my mom back when she turned 80. (9 years ago.) It was wonderful. I am in Virginia, USA now.

Auntie Em said...

Oh My Gosh about the magpie attack! I'm currently reading a book called "the Magpie Murders". I never thought they could actually attack!
I have to give you credit for putting your fabrics away after you've used them. I still have stacks of reds and greens sitting out in my sewing room leftover from previous months of the RSC.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Bad Bird!! No wonder you have a love-hate relationship. Loving the chain link fence progress - clearly you and the new ruler are working well together. And hooray for finding the turtles that have been hidden for so long.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your 'chain link' start, the occasional 'full' star will be very effective!

Linda Swanekamp said...

All I could think of was the movie "The Birds" that scared me to death years ago. I think your layout is wonderful. And those fabric in a pile, just yummy!

Janie said...

That is a beautiful project with the sea turtles, lovely colors.
Those magpies look big, I wouldn't like them at all if that happened to me!
Great progress and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love love love this quilt you are working on. It is going to be beautiful!

Carli The Quilter said...

Mean birds usually mean you and they are close to their nest. Fierce protectors. I love your chain link start. And I love finding things you've not seen in ages.

Ann said...

A Floridian was killed last week by a cassowary he kept as a pet. Yikes. I'm glad you were ok after your attack even though it was years ago. I had no idea some birds could be so dangerous.
I'm enjoying your new quilt. It's cumbersome to have to design it before sewing, isn't it?

audrey said...

So hard to believe you were attacked by a bird! Wowsers, what bad luck! Putting fabric away is more time consuming that it seems and then there's always the danger of finding something you want to take out at the same time! lol Love your quilt project on the wall! Always a treat to come over here and see your wonderful fabric choices.:)

Kaja said...

I never much liked magpies but now I will keep well away from them! I love your chain fence and especially like the idea that you are disrupting the pattern by adding in stars - great idea!

HollyM said...

That is a cool quilt - the chain link- and I live the fabrics. Wow, I’d hate to get smacked by the magpie. It sounds nasty. I’ve been attacked by robin parents before. They did quite a wallop too but not with the beak thankfully.