Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Another squirrel and Colorwash 360 Online Course

No sooner does one squirrel escape my little
studio than another appears!

I've begun a quilt using pretty large half hexagons, pattern by
Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession, featured in a copy of
Quiltmania Simply Moderne.
Some of the fabrics are coming from large scrap pieces, others
from fabrics awaiting storing in their respective places.


Just playing with the pieces here on the design wall.
I took the plunge and bought the Hex N More ruler
by Jaybird Quilts, I didn't want to spend the time
copying the pattern pieces from the magazine and cutting from those, the
ruler is fantastic! 

The pattern is called Chain Link Horizons.

I've enrolled for the
Colorwash 360 Online Course
with
lots of you will be familiar with her stunning
colorwash quilts,  couldn't pass up on this chance.

The nearest I have come to trying to create a blended feel in
a quilt is the one below,
Red Sea Sunset, an HST quilt along a few years ago.
Inspired by sailing through the Red Sea in 1962
on our way to New Zealand from England.
Using mostly batiks and the reverse side of many fabrics
to achieve the b lend from one colour to another.



My Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs fabrics will come into play
with Colorwash 360. first module is on Monday.

Somehow I need to fit in actual quilting and headed for a Tula Pink
quilt top, made last year and basted and backed all ready to go.
Opened the drawer of neatly folded quilt tops and had to take a 'phone call,
when I arrived back someone had found a cosy spot to relax.



I'd like to finish off with a photo yesterday of one of my 
favourite early morning sights at this time of year, the moon with Venus
sitting high above.
Whenever I look at the dawn sky and see the moon, in whatever quarter,
I think of my favourite few lines by Isak Dinesen /Karen Blixen in
'Out of Africa'


“If I know a song of Africa, of the giraffe and the African new moon lying on her back, of the plows in the fields and the sweaty faces of the coffee pickers, does Africa know a song of me? Will the air over the plain quiver with a color that I have had on, or the children invent a game in which my name is, or the full moon throw a shadow over the gravel of the drive that was like me, or will the eagles of the Ngong Hills look out for me?”



Maureen

16 comments:

Kate said...

Love the teal background you are using in your newest squirrel project. It's very vibrant. Your colorwash quilt is gorgeous! Enjoy the new class.

Julierose said...

Your red Sea sunset is one of my favorites of all your lovelies! Out of Africa is the movie I re-watch every New Year Eve--hubby always had a playing gig those evenings and i would curl up and watch it and quilt...hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

With your eye for color and stash of fabrics, bet you will really love Wanda's class. Excited to hear how it goes.

Marly said...

Good luck with your colour-wash; I'd love to be doing it too, but I have too much on my plate (or under my needle!) at the moment. I shall be following your progress avidly.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have always loved your Red Sea Sunset quilt. I know you will have a great selection of Kaffe/Philip fabrics for the colorwash.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh my, the Red Sea Sunset is such a stunner. Wow. Love the photos today. I bought a half hex accuquit die. Wonder if I could use that? I will have to look up that quilt pattern. Don't overdo- keep healing up. Taking the class also. Will try to use florals this time.

Linda said...

Oh, I love your Red Sea Sunset quilt . It's gorgeous! Love how the sunset disappears into the sea. Cats love sleeping in strange places don't they?

Janie said...

Beautiful work and color here!
And you're going to take an online 'Color Wash' class, that's exciting. It's good to get new input, I've been thinking
I'm in need of just that. I'll look into her class.

Clare M said...

Your half hexie quilt will be stunning, just as the Red Sea quilt is. I wish you great enjoyment as you do the class in colourwash and know that you will do very well indeed. A cat always knows the right place to be! Maybe I had better watch Out of Africa...sounds most interesting and love your photo. Hugs

Louise said...

I had never seen the Red Sea quilt. Very beautiful! And of course Leila is so cute peeking out of the chest of drawers :) I'm very interested to read about the 360 class; do keep us posted on your progress with that!

Sue said...

Looking at your Red Sea Sunset quilt Maureen, I dont think you need to do a class in colour. To me, that quilt is amazing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You will love Wanda's class - and I'm looking forward to seeing your color wash quilt! Fabulous quote from Out of Africa and what a gorgeous lot of colorful eye candy today. Darling kitty photo, too.

Kaja said...

I think the colourwash style will suit your fabrics really well and Wanda's class sounds like a good way to try it out.

audrey said...

Good luck with the class! Sounds like a great idea. Loving that teal background color.:) I need to branch out a little bit more myself. I can feel myself getting into a rut lately!

Ann said...

Your beautiful fabrics show up so well against the dark green solid. I hadn't read Out of Africa in years so especially enjoyed reading the opening paragraph. It goes with your moon and Venus photo. Lovely.

Julie said...

That cat is lucky you saw him and he didn't get shut in the drawer,