Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A quilt in remembrance

I can't believe it's two weeks since my last post, it's been a very sad time 
for New Zealand.
Perhaps you will have seen on your news, wherever you live, the
horror of the massacre of people in their places of worship.
There is a lot I should like to say but this is not the platform to do so.
I will concentrate on quilt related matters.

Here is my latest quilt, just a top at the moment,

Stone Flower Patches


and you may remember  that this was a pattern from Free Spirit website
using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. There is no input in this from myself
apart from the cutting and stitching using the exact same fabrics given
in the pattern.

It was my intention to have this in a small
joint exhibition between myself and my husband, plans changed over the last two
weeks.

I found great solace in slowly working on this piece since the
massacre in Christchurch, 15 minutes each time at the machine
was the only way I could finish 
due to a torn meniscus in my right knee.

Stone Flower Patches is staying with me now.

An exhibition of quilts can take place in the future.

Do you know, I haven't even been reading blog posts,
can't quite believe that myself, I shall be
catching up on reading tomorrow.

More from me in a few days, until then happy stitching
and enjoy the sunrise below taken one morning a week ago,
a 'heart lifter'.


Kia kaha Christchurch

Maureen







16 comments:

Nancy J said...

Beautiful, Maureen. I, too, have been sewing and cutting, just looking and sorting fabric is better than seeing the news every day, and I have heart and 9 patch blocks ready to sew together. Helen at Ashurst is not too far for us to drive, and I have another top, but with a lot of colours not suitable for some faiths, so hope that can go to a First Responder. Reading about blocks from my friends and others overseas, there will be a LOT of quilts to be made. I think one supplier is donating batting and backing. ( not sure where or how much). I asked at 2 LQS, one said he didn't have any, not even scraps, the other, a huge supermarket bag waiting, They have been washed and ironed, some used, I will pass on the others for further Heart blocks. Very windy here, but no rain so far. Your knee, do hope it will heal by itself. XXX

Debbie said...

Your stone flower quilt top has such a beautiful soft feel to it. Glad you worked thru it....but sad to hear of the torn knee problem. I have been out of the loop for over a month, and just now back to stitching some. Heartfelt hugs and prayers for the terrible event in your country. We know how hard it is to fathom such pain. Glad you are stitching too.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely Stone flower piece--nice work, Maureen.
So sorry to hear about your knee--hope it heals quickly..
We were so saddened here to see the devastating tragedy that hit your Country..prayers go out fro us...too many of these hate filled incidents occurring worldwide...hugs Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

My heart hurts mightily for those affected in your country as well as many recent events here -- and I agree that this is NOT the platform to air those discomforts. But please know you are not alone in your anguish. Your quilt top turned out beautifully -- and I understand why you are holding back on the quilt display just now. Best wishes for the knee -- can you drive your machine with the opposite foot? I learned to sew left-footed when my right knee was in a brace and have never gone back to right-footed. HUGS from afar.

Linda said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Gentle healing colours suitable for this sad time in NZ. Thank you for the gorgeous sunrise photo which lifts the spirits. There have been some wonderful sunrises and sunsets over the past months. As you say; Kia kaha Christchurch.

O'Quilts said...

Wonderful quilt..I love it...and yes, the world cries for New Zealand xoxo

Sue said...

A lovely looking quit Maureen. Yes, its been terrible here in NZ. Never thought it would happen here.

Louise said...

The colors in your sunrise photo mirror those in your quilt. So soft and lovely. May the sun rise again on our sad world, bringing hope and light.

Leeanne said...

A pretty and quiet post, sometimes there is no need for words..or too many.

Sally Trude said...

So beautiful. And please take good care of yourself!

Clare M said...

Hi Maureen, such a lovely quilt. Such clear lights and the dark purple show up as strength. Hopefully your knee has begun to improve. Hugs clarC.

audrey said...

I'm so glad you can have a little bit of quilting time, even if you have to break it up. It can be so healing. It's funny how some quilts can envelop all our emotions and thus make it something we want to hang onto forever. So lovely.:)

Carli The Quilter said...

Hi Maureen, Beautiful top and nice, friendly distraction from events so sad. Big hugs of recovery on you meniscus.

Ann said...

At least your country is responding to this terrorist outrage. I particularly admire the way your PM refuses to name him. Let the victims names be remembered.
I'm finally able to quilt more than 15 minutes at a time so I truly empathize with you. Hope you continue to improve.
Lovely quilt. Of course.

Preeti said...

As much as I am shocked and hurt by these horrific events in your country, I am heartened by the leadership. She is showing the world how leaders can choose to mend the wounds and bring people together in difficult times. Your quilt is beautiful. Sending hugs and healing vibes to you.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely quilt, such a great colour combo! I too have no words, we are all stunned it could happen here in NZ.