Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Squirrel Alert


I have another squirrel arrive in my studio!
Still slowly working on Red is a Neutral and UandUQAL
but an unexpected quilt is in progress.

I'd forgotten  a commitment made some time ago to put a couple of quilts,
and possibly cushions, in a small joint exhibition with my husband,
he's a painter, beginning 1st May.

So, new Kaffe Collective fabric arrived, free pattern
from Free Spirit on their web site, this would be a good size to hang at
45" x 63"
as the display wall is not huge.


Luckily I had some of the required fabrics in my stash
and the remainder came from my order.
I fell for the Stoneflower pattern and had ordered
yardage in all the colourways.

This is Lavender Stoneflower and below is the true colour, the photo
above shows possibly a little bluer. Twelve 9 and 1/2" pieces all fussy cut.



Small squares cut in both light and dark - black cat once more
deciding to try and snuggle up to the fabrics.



I couldn't resist sewing two blocks up rather than waiting until
all the hsts and squares were together.


I'm mighty happy with the look of this and hoping it doesn't sell
in the exhibition! You notice in this picture the Lavender once again 
shows slightly darker.

Whilst I was cutting fabric my package of the new
Anna Maria Horner range arrived and I love it!


I have plans for this later in the year.
Quite different from my favourite KF but it's always good to step outside
our comfort zone now and again.

Now I don't use much brown in my quilts but in a blog post
from 
she asked was there a colour that we don't buy and/or
don't use, I replied mine was brown, but see what I bought, the AMH fabric below!


Had it been an out and out brown it would have been a no-no for me.

There we have the sum of my quilting activity since my last post,
pain is doing me no favours presently so I'm taking things slowly. 
A wander around the garden showed the effects of
Autumn being upon us but the storm lillies are flowering,


tiny wee flowers only about four inches high but always good to
see them at this time of the year.

Happy Quilting until next time.

Maureen


18 comments:

Ann said...

What fun to have a joint exhibit with your husband. I like the Stoneflower quilt and bet it sells. Be sure to take photos of the exhibit for us to drool over on your blog. :-)

Leeanne said...

I'm sure your exhibition will be wonderful. Lovely fussy cutting of the KF feature fabric. Oh new fabric.........soooo hard not to drool on it isn't it! :-)

Clare M said...

Great excitement for you Maureen. What a special thing to do with your husband. As already said, looking forward to seeing photos. Love the Anna Maria Horner fabrics and I am rather partial to brown, lol. Hugs and prayers for your pain to reduce to allow you to quilt happily.

Nancy J said...

Those Storm Lilies, a few weeks ago there was a pot of them in the "cheapies" at the local plant store. I looked, but they were just green stems. A week later, after rain, those delightful white flowers appeared. I bought it.So many bulbs. And today I found another slightly more healthy pot at another plant nursery.it came home. These might go into a lovely deep bronze planter. Your fussy cut squares, beautiful.This will be so lovely. And then the posted goodies, more beautiful.Fabric is a real lifter up of spirits.

Debbie said...

I have been in and out of blogland for a couple of weeks....so I think I missed your last post or so. Your joint showing should be something to give you a lift. And you always have the most beautiful fabrics to work with, and I enjoy eyeing them:)
I get the hindrance of pain as it has been stopping me in my tracks too. Our unusual weather patterns and many low pressure systems have made things worse too. thankfully I am moving better this week and can walk to the sewing room. Hugs and prayers for your improvement.

Sally Trude said...

Wow! That's quite a beautiful squirrel, unlike the mangy brown ones we have around here. And I am quite a fan of the new tiddlywinks pattern.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great squirrel! Fussy cutting really paid off. Wish I could see you and your husband's show- it will be wonderful.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving all your new Kaffes! And the feature flower blocks are certainly an eye catcher! I too have just a few of the new AMH, beautifully dark & rich colours. Where is your husband's show held?

Linda said...

As a KF lover I am drooling at the photos of your new quilt. Beautiful design (love the fussy cuts), colours are perfect. The upcoming exhibition sounds exciting. Enjoy sewing it! Like you, brown isn't my favourite colour, either to wear or to use in Quilts. Have very little brown fabric - none really! - but I do like the brown fabric you bought, perhaps because it includes some orange, a colour I do like.

em's scrapbag said...

So many beautiful fabrics!!!! Have fun with your newest squirrel. Hope your exhibit is a success.

Cathy said...

How fun to have an exhibit with your husband.

I like your Stoneflower quilt. It looks like a split nine patch with an alternate square. That's given me an idea on how to use some split nine patch blocks I won in a lotto a long time ago. Thanks for the squirrel inspiration!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your new squirrel-inspired quilt is wonderful -- really lovely. I don't blame you for sewing up a couple of blocks just to see. And brown is one of my least favorites but I do use it and have a good range in the stash because sometimes it is just what a quilt needs.

Louise said...

Oh, that Stoneflower quilt is going to be so lovely! Yummy colors and the focal blocks are just a perfect motif. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the AMH fabrics, too. Lots of zing in that pile. Glad to see Leila is keeping up with her inspector duties :)

O'Quilts said...

pls take photos of your joint exhibit...I am so excited for you...xoxo

Raewyn said...

I love those squirrel moments - they're always very exciting, hopping off down another path. And also very cool to be in an exhibition with your husband :-) That's a really neat patten that you are making - very effective with the fussy cutting and HST. PS your button collection you talk about in your previous post sounds amazing!

Janie said...

Yes, exciting colors and design!
Thanks for the tip to free patterns at Free Spirit, there's some beauties there.
And I'm sure your joint exhibition will be a hit, what a fun opportunity.

Julie said...

What lovely happy mail. So much colour, Love those little rain lilies.

Kaja said...

Great squirrel! I wouldn't be surprised if it sells - the colours are gorgeous. The exhibition with your husband sounds like a lovely way to celebrate your joint creativity.