Waiting In The Wings

Friday, March 1, 2019

March aka here comes Autumn

Yes, officially the 1st of March is the start of our Autumn
down here in New Zealand, the leaves of the
Japanese Maple are already showing their colour a little




and the hydrangeas, once richly pink and blue, have
now begun their journey down the road into the antique colours


and still as beautiful as ever!

All things quilting - not a lot actually, I've been down
with an infection which stopped progress.
The sum of my achievements covers five more blocks for
the 
Red is a Neutral
 invitational with


I intend to sash these blocks to negate stress on the eyes!!
A fabric has been chosen but I need more than the small amount 
on hand, another order should be here within the week.
I do quite like them just as they are but when I have 20 blocks
measuring 14" the effect could be pretty overpowering.

Found my unfinished piece
with the name
Playtime


As I only have four more small kaleidoscope blocks
to add, along with four corners, it would probably
only take a morning to finish, better get on to it!

By the way, all the photos will enlarge if you give
them a click.

Oh, of course the Kaffe Fassett Collective have a new fabric collection
out now, needless to say I spent some time ordering!
One package arrived yesterday - yummy colours -


and the opening of the package was supervised by
my little helper who 


 doesn't have the tip of her left ear missing, she just
moved her head as I was taking the photo. After
sitting quietly watching proceedings she took matters into
her own paws to check out the fabric


and  was swiftly ejected from the cutting table.
She is an ardent KF fan.

Another non-quilting job was a trip down memory lane.
John's Mum had given me a box of buttons as we left England
in 1980, these were gathered by her grandmother, her mother and
mother-in-law over the years. They came from items of clothing dating
back to the late 1800's  and she could tell me, for example, that the horn buttons 
came from a coat made for my husband as a child,
buttons from dresses worn by her grandmother - you
get the picture.
My children used to have great fun visiting their Gran
who would let them rummage through the box.

I thought this one here was very special and very old,
measures almost 1/2" with


lovely intricate detail.
Perhaps the Downton Abbey era.

Well, after sending you all to sleep with multiple
photos and not much progress I shall head off to
the cutting table.

See you soon, have a happy weekend.

Maureen

15 comments:

Pip said...

I'm quite liking the red is a neutral blocks as they are, although I think you are right that en mass they might be a bit too much on the eyes. Cats love quilts and fabric, I can leave a piece of fabric spread out and my cat will just appear and lie on it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm happy to see you have some of the new Kaffe fabrics. I haven't ordered any yet.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Maureen great post,love those hydranges the colours are gorgeous.
Wow beautiful blocks,love the fabric,lol love your supervisor bet she was a great help,i am also your newest follower,hope you will visit and follow me to.Hope you have a wonderful weekend xx

Ann said...

So many beautiful colors. Autumn hydrangeas, red neutrals. Love them.

Louise said...

Why am I not surprised that Leila is an "ardent Kaffe Fasset fan"? Thanks for the laugh this morning :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, those fabrics are wring out the color gorgeous! Still doesn't look like spring is coming soon here- lots of snow and ice although it is sunny today. My cat will dig through a pile of fabric and fling it all on the floor. Hope you get better and stronger so you can cut and sew more. It was not too many photos- I enjoyed them all!

Linda said...

Sorry to hear you have been poorly, trust the package of KF fabrics helped your convalescence. You have some great projects on the go, love those red blocks. Yes there's a definite nip in the air in the mornings now, here in NZ. I have tins of buttons from a variety of sources, so interesting to look through but I don't know their histories like you do.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Looks like you helper approves of your new Kaffe fabrics. I'm anxious to see them in person. Hope you feel better.

O'Quilts said...

wonderful post!!! Lost of happy projects and fabric and kitty cat
The reverse weather always makes me giggle as March winds prepare here for spring xo

Janie said...

I hope you get better soon!
Thanks for your beautiful photos. Leila has such good taste.
Your projects are looking fabulous and your Kaffe fabrics are tempting me to order
way too much fabric. I'm trying to finish some projects with my fabric on hand before
I order more. Not easy but it's good for me to use up stash.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Another colourful post! And lots to keep you busy with this great selection of different projects!

QuiltGranma said...

I would say that your new fabrics are kitty approved! What a precious girl!

Sue said...

Love your Playtime little quilt Maureen. I like the red quilt as well, but as you say a larger piece could be a little overwhelming!

Hope you recover soon!

Kaja said...

There is so much gorgeous colour in this post -fabulous red blocks, those gorgeous hydrangeas, scrummy new stash. Happy Autumn!

Sally Trude said...

Okay, I will admit that Leila is doing a spot on imitation of me after receiving the new Kaffe fabrics. And I always appreciate seeing your season change. Just as we are finally getting to inhale into spring, you exhale into autumn.