Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Ready for Red is a Neutral and quilts on doors

Dealing with Red is a Neutral first off.
This is the invitational with
and the back story is on their blog.

I'm going with a Liberated Wedding Ring
inspired by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran. 

Today I stitched four 7 and1/2" blocks using
a stack of reds, a heap of scraps and Vilene as the
foundation for the strips.






Four of the small blocks form the ring as below


but the effect of twenty of these larger blocks with all the red could
be a bit too much for the eye so I'm going to sash them


more of these are set down for tomorrow.

You might remember the two small quilts shown below.
It's pretty impossible to have quilts hanging in our living room,
we have two large sets of glass doors, but our entrance and
hallway is a good spot and  my two "top" ladders are in there

I came to the conclusion that small works would look good
hanging on the doors - laundry and the first bedroom
leading off the long hall.

Sailing Through Suez


Chinese Coins


The doors look as if they need a good clean, but I can assure
that's not the case, they're off-white and the
angle of my photograph throws shadows here and there.

Apologies to those who read this blog and also AHIQ
as I have a post over there as well! 

Happy Quilting

Maureen

14 comments:

Julierose said...

Love your "Quilts on Doors"--what a great idea...they look amazing..so cheery. Happy Valentine's Day, Maureen--hope it's one filled with sweet things...hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

Such beautiful color! Yes, I feature something on most doors here....gives me a smile in every room. And its a great reason to work smaller.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love that Chinese Coins quilt. I would definitely want it up where I could see it every day.

O'Quilts said...

just lovely

Janie said...

Great idea to hang those quilts, they're beauty's!
Your progress is inspiring with lots of color, say yes to Gwen and Freddie!
Happy Valentines Day.

Louise said...

Your Red as Neutral blocks are looking good so far! The sashing is a good idea to lend some structure and calm the reds if necessary. What is "Vilene"? Is that a brand of interfacing?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like Louise, I am not familiar with Vilene. Love your concept for the lib. Wedding Ring - it will be stunning! And those small quilts are two of my favorites.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I could just eat up all the color! I need to make quilts with more color. Red is my favorite color. I always chose a red car. However, less cars are available in red. Sadly, my Forester is charcoal gray.

Kate said...

Love your Liberated Wedding ring blocks. That black sashing is going to work really well. Happy stitching this weekend.

Lily Allen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kaja said...

I love the idea of quilts on doors - such a brilliant way to show off a smaller quilt and add lots of interest and colour.

Sally Trude said...

Wow, your Sailing Through Suez still knocks me off my feet. But today I finally realized that it wasn't the great use of the awesome spot fabric that makes this quilt...it's the use of the background fabrics running from dull to shining.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Look forward to seeing how your 'wedding ring' blocks progress. Love the idea of quilts on doors!

Pip said...

I like how that Wedding Ring block is progressing, will be interesting to see how they all evolve. I understand about shadows and white/off white paint, the paint we chose for our interior as many different shades to it depending on time of day, somedays I swear it is pale green.