Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

More blocks and a Block of the Month adventure

Five more blocks done for UANDUQAL, I would have had them all sewn up by today had
it not been for developing tendonitis in my left forearm!!!

Here are the latest five














I need to get all the blocks sewn so far up on the wall and find a good balance before
making a start on the last seven.

The inspiration quilt had mixed strip borders but my border idea is a little different
and I've already decided on the fabric, I think.

You see there is a Block of the Month mentioned in my post title, I hesitated for ages
before deciding to go with this.
Kathy Doughty at Material Obsession
always has a stunning choice of BOM projects by different designers.
Deciding to try something outside of my comfort zone I went with
Flying in Circles
by Sue Rose
Block 1 below


lovely movement in this block and the idea of a hexagon flower in the
centre appealed - then the envelope arrived with fabric and pattern and the
papers for the hexagons 


and gosh are they tiny!!
Hopefully if my arm is more comfortable I can make a start this coming week.

So, it's been a quiet week for me on the  sewing side but I've been catching up with reading and
re-watching my Downton Abbey series before going off to
see the film tomorrow. I'm a huge fan!

Gardening has been a no-no of of course but I had a wander around
the garden and took a few Spring photos.

The Japanese Maple is just breaking into leaf


and we had a trip to the local garden centre, I spotted something I had
been hoping to have in my garden for ages. 

Michelia Gracipes

Delicious scent, Winter and Spring flowering and just look
at the colour of the cover on the new flower buds, they feel like silk.


Such a delicate flower


I'll post a photo of the plant in the ceramic pot I bought to
plant in when I next post.
Got to dash now I'd forgotten I had a programme I really needed to watch on TV
so see you soon!!
Happy Quilting

Maureen

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Ugh for tendonitis...I am struggling with it also. It is so limiting. Yet your blocks and beautiful and I hope you get thru them.
We are headed to the movies also this afternoon....I should have gone back and watched the series before hand. Just so excited to see the family once again....lol.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Tendonitis is a big pain. Have had it in my hands and it is disabling. Love, love those blocks. If I could just screw up the courage to sew some like that. I just love the colors. My Japanese Maples are turning fall colors. So good to see your work.

Quiltdivajulie said...

We are planning to go see the D.A. movie next week - so glad to see that it is being well loved by so many. Your blocks are glorious - hoping the arm allows you to work on those TINY hexagons soon. You are one brave woman - I like tiny pieces but I'll stick to squares and strips.

Louise said...

I can't wait to see all these blocks together on your design wall! What a quilt this will be! And that BOM looks quite fun, except for the teeny tiny hexies. Hope your tendonitis flies away very soon!

Janie said...

I hope you get better soon! Your blocks are vibrant and rich.
Kathy Doughty has gorgeous patterns, projects and BOMs. Just sprinkle with patience.
How fun, off to see the DA movie, tomorrow. And thanks for sharing your garden photos, spring for you, fall here.

O'Quilts said...

I just love your blocks...the tendonitis, not so much!!!!
Be better and keep on sewing xo

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love how you are mixing these bold fabrics together, so creative!

Leeanne said...

All looking bright and cheer as usual with your quilt making. I tired to watch Dowtown Abbey and just couldn't 'get into it'....and I like period drama's.

Ann said...

I'm sorry your tendonitis flared up. My fingers go crazy if I do much handwork. But your fabric choices are stunning. I'm glad you're varying the layout a bit from the original so you do justice to your fabrics.
The Michelia gracipes bud looks like a magnolia to me. They only bloom in the spring but have a large velvety bud and open to similar white flowers with yellow stamens. And they smell lemony with something extra. Wish the internet was scratch and sniff.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

So many pretty colors on your blog post. I love that flower. We are of course ending our flowering season as you start yours.

Kaja said...

I'm sorry your arm has slowed you down, since the blocks you have done are stunning. Good luck with that tiny hexagon!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your blocks! Kathy Doughty has the best patterns! It's so hard to pass up any of her patterns. I hope your tendonitis gets better!

audrey said...

So sorry for the bout of tendinitis! Ughh! Loving these blocks though. You definitely have a way with fabric.:)

رامز المثاليه said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
رامز المثاليه said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.