Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Refreshed and ready to quilt!!

My three weeks enforced leave of absence
 seems
to have had the desired results, but
hardly any quilting has been done apart from binding my
Tula Pink quilt


I used up a variety of the striped fabric in the her collection 
for the binding, luckily they all seem to work well.





the quilting lines actually go across the quilt, I just forgot
to rotate!

measurements 58" x 68"
quilted by Leeanne at

I haven't been wasting my time, I have been
spending some sitting in the garden here, especially in the early morning
and late afternoon


with a good book


which arrived only one week ago and is a treasure! I'm limiting
myself to reading about one quilter each day, I definitely recommend this one
and what a Christmas gift it would make!
Quite a lot of the featured quilters are new to me, which is good,
lots of variety in the use of colour and design.

The good side of having a rest is that the mind quietens and ideas
come steadily and clearly, I have found that I'm forming
a way forward with my quilting next year.
Scrap quilts are definitely on the agenda, colour with Kaffe Collective
as usual and I'm waiting for May when the new range
from Anna Maria Horner hits the stores, lots of brights!

Time out has also made me realise that I have bought fabric on  a whim
sometimes, fabric which really is "not me" so I am going to sell these.
Also I'm definitely not going to 'follow the trend' with regard to quilt patterns,
these too have been collected with gay abandon and
I realise now that I will never make them!

More on the above next year, but below I have snaps of three of
my hydrangeas which are performing nicely and along with
the other flowers in the garden gave me such pleasure
over the last little while.






Another benefit I have found is the time to really look, not just pass
by and glance fleetingly but really see what beauty there is in
the smallest gift from the garden


will you just look at the colour and detail in these
tiny wee seed capsules from the Japanese Maple lying on the
old table on our deck. I also enjoy seeing all the clumps of
lichen taking a hold.

Gosh, this has been a pretty long post but I hope you
made it through to the end!

Happy Quilting
Maureen

21 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that quilt and your garden looks great too - I'm already longing for warmer weather and winter just started here!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lots of lovely Kaffe colour! You really do have a way with bright fabrics! And love your hydrangeas too. I have two out now too, in soft pretty mauve.

Nancy J said...

Sitting, resting, reading, that time is so valuable in today's busy life. Your garden seat the perfect spot for all the above, and a new book, love those Kaffee fabrics. I do hope you are feeling heaps better, and are not planning on too much festivity this season. We will be having some very quiet days, painting almost all done.Hooray!!!

Debbie said...

All your spend spent in reflection is good. It does give you purose and focus to really discover what you want to accomplish and your voice for quilting. Look forward to seeing your new creations.

Julierose said...

Your Tula Plus quilt came out so beautifully! Wonderful job on using those colors...hugs, Julierose

Louise said...

I love all the stripes in the binding! It's scrappy but also cohesive. Lovely job all around! I'm happy to see you blogging again, and it sounds like your mind and heart are in a good place :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have learned to love Tula Pink fabrics after watching you use them. The stripes were a perfect touch on the quilt.
Slow down and enjoy, sometimes hard to do. Beautiful garden photos! We went straight from summer to winter this year and I missed the fall season where the cleanup of the outdoor space usually happens. That is my slow down and reflect season and I didn't get it this year.

Barb N said...

I just finished going through a period of 'intense making'! I was like a whirling dervish in my sewing room. I met my goals, cleaned up my room, and now I am taking a breath. Evaluation is key to finding balance in our lives. Glad you are finding your own. (I, too, have made those fabric purchases that later yell at me: Just what were you thinking, Barb?)

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Nice to see you out and about. I too thoroughly enjoyed our spring earlier in the year and all the color and seed pods. Now it's finding a way to enjoy the snow . . . winter isn't my fav. I love the multi striped binding on your Tula quilt. I have a small collection of her prints and need to use them next year for something. Good for you in deciding to unburden yourself of items that aren't you. I haven't quite been able to do that with much of my stash.

Julie said...

That quilt looks fabulous, have to hope our library gets that book.

Ann said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Your quilt is certainly proof of this. Stripes make a great binding, don't they?
I've been thinking about my fabrics and future projects, too. Like you, I've purchased fabric on a whim and don't care for some of it. I will probably donate some. While I don't purchase patterns very often, I realize all the online photos are a hindrance to what I really want to do. I like reading blogs and enjoy the quilts I see there but I may get off IG. It's like crack and makes me forget what I really want to do.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous post -- I have culled my stash significantly this past year and used quite a bit as well. Enhancement going forward shall be strategic and project dictated rather than random accumulation. I SO agree with your thoughts on sitting quietly and letting priorities become clear. Happy to sense your renewed sense of direction.

Linda said...

Your quilt is fabulous, Maureen. Delicious colours. Love all the garden photos. You have a beautiful garden. Our house in NZ had lots of hydrangeas in the garden which I loved. Unfortunately my husband doesn’t like hydrangeas ( goodness knows why!) or agapanthus which we also had loads of. Really tall ones with stems thicker than my thumb. Pleased to hear your three weeks rest has been beneficial. Keep up the good work.

Janie said...

I can tell that your rest has rejuvenated the creative juices! Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden photos and insights on patterns and fabric. I'm refreshed just reading your blog and looking at your photos.
I'm glad you're back and really nice finish!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your Tula Pink quilt. Her colors are so vibrant. Your garden looks beautiful especially since we're expecting snow overnight! I hope you're all rested and ready to get back to quilting! I've started reading a lot lately. It's a nice balance to my sewing.

audrey said...

The stripes are a wonderful addition to your quilt! It turned out so lovely. Glad your weeks away had the desired results. Hope you are able to get back to what you love doing most.:)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Now that you have rested and feel refreshed, I look forward to seeing what new project you start. I love the striped binding - it is perfect!

O'Quilts said...

Maureen...that is wonderful news...rest and recup and read...
I love your quilt and your garden You have reinforced the rest day I took yesterday...It was wonderful xo

Linda said...

I loved your long post, Maureen. So pleased your three weeks rest has done you good and that you have enjoyed sitting, reading, contemplating and thinking great thoughts. All sounds an excellent prescription. The Tula Pink quilt is beautiful, the variety of striped bindings finishes it off perfectly.

O'Quilts said...

Oh, my goodness, I wondered where you had been. Relaxing in the beautiful spring flower garden reading a quilting book and making quilts in your head.
There is nothing better!!! xoxoxo

O'Quilts said...

Great Maureen I see that my mind has drifted in age...This the the third comment I am giving you...Really...I used to be????? Used to be is over!xo