Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, November 21, 2019

A beach visit and blocks both new and old



I shall make a start here, after an absence of more or less three weeks,
with a photo taken yesterday at our local beach. 
This is Cockle Bay beach and the name is self-explanatory,
this particular beach is known for it's cockle beds, accessible
at low tide and sadly now being depleted by folk coming along
and collected bucketloads of the cockles. Moves are thankfully
underway to try and put a stop to this.


Now onto the subject of blocks. At last I have the UANDUQAL
blocks stitched together, but, there will have to be a little time spent
on unpicking two or three blocks!



I became unwell just after my last post and without boring you all
with details I ended up with an urgent visit to the cardiac unit!
All seems to working well now - thank goodness - but it was a mistake to
try and get these blocks sewn up whilst unwell.
I fiddled around with my intended fabric for a border, didn't work,
tried lots of others and still not happy so it will remain
borderless and just bound.

Do you remember these blocks begun with a Rainbow Scrap Challenge?



There are two more, a blue and a yellow.
We have a local Howick Art Group in the village, an old cottage with
rooms displaying the artists work and as a member I'm going to join in with
two small quilting pieces, hopefully each month.
My first one is underway using the yellow block


a little quilting, trimmed, then narrow binding and mounted on a
painted canvas to match the yellow - hopefully.

The pattern for these came from a magazine a number of years ago,
the design is by
Cynthia Brunz
link below



I think that's all from me, things have been pretty quiet on the
quilting side of things but hopefully I should be back to normal
by next week!

A flower photo before I go


my favourite Epiphyllum on a rainy day hanging in the
'catio' by the living room!

See you soon.
Maureen


15 comments:

Pip said...

Definitely best to leave the sewing until you feel completely well. I love your UANDUQAL quilt, it has turned out well (mine hasn't progressed at all) Whereabouts in Howick is the old cottage? I'm trying to picture the village but can't think where it might be.

Ann said...

I'm glad you're on the mend now. Your UandU quilt vibrates with joy. I can't think of any borders either. It's perfect just the way it is.
I do remember your RSC blocks and still think they are lovely. Have you considered facing rather than binding?

Louise said...

Oh, that yellow Geese block just glows! And I hope you are glowing with good health soon, too :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that water scene!! I sure hope you are doing ok now - always scary having to go the ER

Debbie said...

So glad ro hear from you! Really glad you are better....these medical scares are just too much drama, aren't they. We are having one right now with Sir Old Man, but I think it is about solved. I love the calm serene beach photo. And your migration blocks are beauties. The quilt is good and done.....and always a reminder that things get off track. It is a wonderful color play.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sewing when unwell is NOT a good plan (ask me how I know - like you I tried and had issues). That first photo of the beach just made my morning (damp, cold, drizzling rain). Glad to hear the cockles are going to be protected soon. Take care and hopefully you can continue on your healing path.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love how your UANDUQAL came together and think it looks fine without borders. The blocks always make me think of window panes and looking out on a beautiful lush garden scene. Wishing you healthy better days ahead.

Julierose said...

Oh be sure to get enough rest and don't push yourself too much; I love your RSC blocks a lot beautiful flower...hugs, Julierose

O'Quilts said...

So great to see you back..xoxo

gayle said...

I find your pictures of beach and flowers so heartening - we've got drizzly gray gloom here (at least it's not snow like it was last week!)
Stay well!

Linda said...

So sorry to hear you have been unwell. A frightening experience to go to hospital for cardiac issues. I can relate to that one! Take things steadily, Maureen. Your quilt is beautiful.

HollyM said...

I sure hope you’re feeling better. Anything with the heart is scary. When you’re fiddling with borders and arrangements it can be stressing but I always find some no brainer sewing or knitting can help. Those are pretty blocks! Take care.

Kaja said...

I'm happy to find you are feeling well enough to blog again, Maureen. I do remember those blocks - they were particular favourites of mine so it's lovely to see them again. Your UandU quilt is spectacular as is - such a fabulous mix of colour and texture.

Judy Martin said...

Dear Maureen - I love the pink and yellow blocks in the middle of this post.
But mainly I want to send best wishes to you as you heal. As we become older, our health becomes more wobbly and all the more precious. Take good care xo and I disagree with the advice that you should take time off from sewing.

Doing hand work while sitting in a comfy chair by a window makes me feel better every time. xoxo

audrey said...

I definitely don't see any reason to unpick, but I know how things can be just too annoying to leave as is. If they are bugging you, its not liable to change down the road! lol Hope you are doing better! Never fun to overdo to that point.:)