Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, April 2, 2020

First week of lock-down and a dray of squirrels

Not content with the first squirrel 
Hannah's Garden
another one has appeared on the scene and I suspect
I shall soon be dealing with a dray of squirrels!

The latest addition is this


a pattern by Frankie and Ray.
It's been long on my list of 'want to make' quilts.
I had a pretty big box of scraps needing to be sorted into colour
families, I began by sorting them into warm and cool


then decided to go with a lucky dip approach to choosing the fabrics.
for the churn dash blocks 
by closing my eyes and dipping once into each pile
and working with the two fabrics which came out, no fiddling trying to 
find a better match etc.

So just five right now










I did just manage to fussy cut this centre piece


I think I got lucky because I'm really pleased with these.

I have four more patterns lined up to use more from my
many boxes of scraps during the weeks of lock down.
Working on one quilt each day is my plan.
I now have, or will have, a dray of squirrels. Some folks say a scurry
of squirrels but a scurry refers to a gathering and as they're fiercely territorial
this is a very rare happening, a dray consists of a
mother squirrel and her young. I'm going with a dray!

Sadly we all know about lock down, social distancing, staying home
going out only to the supermarket for groceries, pharmacy or medical appointments.
We can go for a walk around the block, ride the bike but really nothing
else, no visiting family or friends. I think we're all feeling
the strain and worry of these times.

However we did have a visitor join us at breakfast yesterday


munching on the long seed pods.

Today I found another little visitor


who then headed from the rose into the porch and eventually
into the house!

Got to head back to the dining table now - apple pie with cream - my favourite,
leaving you with the sunset from two days ago.


Keep safe, keep well and keep quilting!
See you all soon.

Maureen

17 comments:

http://blackeyedsewsan.wordpress.com/ said...

Such lush colors make a simple block sing. Wonderful. Susan in gray, cold Boston :)

Linda said...

I loved your post, Maureen. Gorgeous photos and I love your two piles of cool and bright scraps, all ready for you to dive into. Your method of just picking two fabrics out of the pile to make the blocks is perfect, you have made some great blocks. Well done with persevering with those UFOs, something I’m trying to do as well. Keep well and sane during this weird way we are living at present.

Julierose said...

Just lovely pairings of prints in those blocks..good deal that they worked so well.;)))
Well, this is he end of our 2nd lockdown week; and now were set for delivery of groceries...we'll see how my shopper did for me this coming Monday...
stay safe and strong...~ ~ ~ waving in the wind to you Julierose ;)))

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful bird. I am trying to do a grocery order pick up only to find all the slots are filled and I have to keep checking back each morning to see if there are any time slots available and then find some items not available - I'm glad I am well stocked for the moment but want to keep it that way so I will keep checking for time slot and see if I can get in line to pick up groceries or will I finally get fed up with it and go to the store and get it myself and take a chance being out among people

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wintersweet is on my list of to-make projects, as well! I have been gathering florals from the stash as a loose plan - I really like your "lucky dip" approach. Your first four are wonderful!

Debbie said...

You have the most beautiful scraps!!!! Love what you put together. Hang in there, and sew on!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Most of us quilters certainly have plenty of projects to keep us busy even without the social distancing. Have fun playing with your scraps. Stay safe and healthy.

Louise said...

I've never heard the phrase "lucky dip" but I'm going to use it from now on! Your first blocks are wonderfully, randomly, dare I say LUCKILY scrappy :)

Nancy J said...

Your lucky dip worked so well, is that a Rosella/ Parakeet? We had them at our other home and quite a lot when we lived at Katikati. Guess they like the warmer places. I,too, have some older projects partly started, and without the weekly grocery outing, a coffee afterwards, I have lots of time to do everything hidden away!!! We gat our flu jab on 9th April, so that will give the car a run, Hugh an outing, and we have a txt from the Dr's surgery to say we have the appt. in case we are stopped on the way, as our GP is in another town.Hope you are getting groceries all right, this seems to be a huge problem with arranging a delivery slot.Our daughter down south will get hers from a town further away, a week's wait, and she was overjoyed to get that. Deliveries down south are different to here, and Countdown is the one they managed to get. Cold here this morning, 10C, a beautiful red sky for a while, too many power lines and roofs to get a decent photo, off to have a coffee and some breakfast. I will send you a link for a free online concert.XXXX

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

With all of the beautiful fabrics you own, I can see this being a wonderful assortment of color and pattern.

Love the bird. We have none that colorful here.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Maureen, this quilt and the fabrics you are using make me smile and feel good. Wish I had such a wonderful stash. When you put colors together, the blocks sing and I appreciate fabric even more. I just put together a churndash from 20 year old blocks that I found in a donated scrap bag and it makes me feel cozy pinned on my design wall.

audrey said...

Great project to use for your wonderful looking scraps. My scraps are much, much less interesting.:)

gayle said...

Oh, Maureen, I'm already loving your Wintersweet and you've barely even started! You are the queen of the 'lucky dip'!
I enjoyed seeing your bird visitor - we don't get anything nearly as colorful as that in our yard!
And I've decided to let squirrels just run riot in my sewing room. Every quilt start is an investment in hope.

Ann said...

As always, beautiful fabrics. Simple sorting into warm and cool works well, doesn't it? And your no-peeking selections look lovely. What a beautiful bird and mantis. All these gorgeous colors are reflected in your work, Maureen. Stay safe.

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaja said...

I like your squirrel! Your lockdown sounds strict but our papers here are full of admiration for your government, which seems to have been much more decisive than ours and kept things under better control as a result. Stay safe, Maureen. x

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Slowly catching up on my blog reading. I am glad I didn't miss this post - I love your blocks!