Waiting In The Wings

Saturday, May 2, 2020

What happened to April???



Turned over the calendar page yesterday!

April, for me at least, was not very productive at all.
First project begun was Wintersweet and block photos were
shown HERE and HERE
and whilst I enjoyed making the blocks they did nothing for me
when I had them together on the design wall.
Placing on the diagonal, testing to see how they would look
with sashing and so on - nope, didn't like them and now
they live in my spare parts box!

I was having difficulty getting motivated, tried something else
but still no joy with the next project - spare parts box addition.

So - tidying fabric baskets began




green and blue were the first ones. and I found it quite
a revelation to discover there were fabrics I had forgotten about tucked away
in my stash.

Something quick and easy was needed and having long admired the Postage Stamp
quilts in blog land and on Instagram I made a start


using soft lilac as the solid.
A little starching needed for my some of my tiny KF
scraps to hold shape better, but I really enjoyed the process
and can't wait to make more. This is a definite ongoing project!

I hauled out my Accuquilt GO BIG electric cutter (my best purchase
ever in relation to my quilting, next to the fabric of course)
and finished off all the pieces for 
Green Diamonds 
from
 Quilts in Ireland
by Kaffe Fassett
seen below




going here with what I think of as
the 'plate method' for keeping pieces tidy, seen over the years on
Julie's blog
a brilliant idea Julie!!

Thursday a package arrived which really had me fired up and
ready to go

'Hindsight'
from Anna Maria Horner






the colours are more glorious than shown here in these photos,
I have yardage of the two other large prints and they'll be in my next post.

As you can seen not a lot has been achieved in my cosy little studio
but I'm feeling more motivated now and ready to get on with some serious sewing.
Project list presently being compiled.

More colour from the garden before I sign off, photo taken at 6.30am
Thursday just on dawn using the flash on my iPhone


pink Hibiscus bloom.

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely fabric choices--rich colorways.
That hibiscus coloration is amazing...so subtle and beautiful
~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose

Linda said...

Sorry to hear you have not been thrilled by your two latest projects. However, I LOVE your new fabric additions. The Anna Marie Horner range is super, especially the big droopy daisy heads. You will make something wonderful from those fabrics. The colours are stunning!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, is that fabric beautiful. I wonder if I can find some. Your fabric drawers are stunning. I pulled out UFOs last night to reorder my working priorites and there are a bunch that have stumped me. We will see if it looks better today.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

at times I have been tempted to see if I could sell my GO and get an electric one instead - I don't feel like I can buy an electric one right now seeing as I have the other - one questions though do all the dies fit both machines do you know?

Debbie said...

At least you found a new project to excite you! And you sorted thru fabric....all more than I have gotten done. I left the house yesterday for the first time in 9 weeks....think I need to get out more often!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Glad you found something new to feel excited about. I love all the postage stamp quilts and have started collecting small squares with one in mind. I've also been less motivated to sew these past couple of weeks. Definitely am not motivated for finishes so instead started a new small lap quilt a couple of days ago. Playing with Kaffes usually does the trick. I'm just going with whatever strikes me at the moment and calling it good. At least some kind of forward movement is happening. Although I suspect I'll end up with a lot more unfinished projects when this self isolation is finally over.

O'Quilts said...

Wow Maureen....so beautiful..xoxo And I am so very tempted by the new AMH fabric...wonderful

gayle said...

I'm a big fan of Julie's plate method, too! Such a simple tool yields great results!
Well, your spare parts department benefited from your most recent projects, even if you didn't. Looks like you've got some fun new toys to play with, though, so I'll enjoy watching what you do next!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Isn't it interesting how sorting and folding fabric leads to feeling more creative and energized?!? Happy the plate method works for you - I love it (as you already know). Glorious colors in the newly folded fabric and the new ones AND that flower. (and I'm happy to hear that the unloved blocks have enhanced your orphan stash - I've started on that design 3 times now and backed away each time - I think it is NOT meant to happen here).

Louise said...

Sometimes we just need to spend time petting and folding fabric, don't we? I love your new additions! Very inspirational :)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Such gorgeous fabrics! I love looking at them. April wasn't the best month for anyone. Staying home will do that! I'm hoping better times are ahead for all of us.

Ann said...

April has disappeared on me, too. I'm busy sewing hospital gowns as I fear we will have another wave soon. Lucky you to be in the clear with strong, decisive leaders that follow medical advice.

audrey said...

It's amazing how peaceful just playing with fabric can be. I highly recommend it as a transition into getting motivated! Love seeing the lilac block with the scrappy bits. I've been playing with the idea of using some of that too, but just can't quite settle with what design? Might have to simmer for awhile longer. Love, love the Hindsight fabrics. Trying not to spend extra money right now but that is beautiful!