Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A finish - Simply Red Squared - and more

At last I have my small quilt for the prompt with
Ad Hoc Improvisational Quilters finished!

The prompt was Red is a Neutral
and here is my effort

Simply Red Squared

not the best placing job on my design wall but I was so pleased
that I had a finish I just pressed it onto the flannel and took the photo.
Size 33 and1/2" square.
Minimal quilting, beginning with in the ditch around each block, then the
triangles and the four squares made up of triangles.

You might remember I was going to bind with a KF purple on black spot,
in the end I felt it wasn't the best choice and on sorting through
a stack of pretty old fabrics I came across one which I thought
was a better fit - see below along with the bright backing fabric.


The kiwis were calling to me!!
You'll have to click for  a better view of the binding.

I'm thinking that next in line for quilting is a quilt made in 2015!!!!
Those of you having followed me since that time may remember this quilt and
if you want a refresher on the back story, or if you're new
to my blog, here is the link below, enjoy!



If you're wondering why there are a few pins around the edge
it's because I had an odd shaped piece of batting left over and
it was easier to lay the quilt top on,
 find the backing, pin and then up on the design wall to photograph.
Basting later in the week.

I think I'll begin with in the ditch quilting between sashing and blocks
and after that, well decisions, decisions! I'm wondering perhaps
minimal hand quilting with a 12 weight thread or perhaps
a perle cotton. Any thoughts?

I'm still plugging away at my Lego blocks and a few squirrels are
trying to make a home in the studio - perhaps soon.

Leaving quilting for a moment we had our Election on Saturday
and thank goodness that we have Jacinda Ardern as our Prime Minister
for another three years, she had a landslide victory, it was amazing.
What a tremendous job she's done for us 5 million Kiwis!
She is a treasure!!!!!

We voted early a week or so ago and what a beautiful day, photos below from
our drive home after visiting the voting station.




I can't close off without a photo from the garden, here's a clivia
blooming beautifully under the native trees.


See you all again soon, keep safe.

Maureen

18 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a treat to see such gorgeous color when I opened the computer this morning! Such beautiful quilts. And your scenery is not bad either! Thank you for sharing such wondefulness!

Debbie said...

Seeing your vista and scenery it is easy to understand where your color sense comes from. It is where you live that has created your palette! Love your red squared....just a delight for the eyes. Sure hop our election goes well for us in two weeks. What a mess here.

Marly said...

Congratulations on finishing your red neutral quilt. I found that a difficult prompt.
Good luck quilting the Northern Lights; 12 wt thread works well for hand quilting, and I don't see any reason why perlé cotton wouldn't.

Julierose said...

What a great way to square up those string rectangles...beautiful finish
And Northern Lights is simply beautiful nice works Maureen...
hugs, Julierose

Louise said...

Simply Red Squared turned out so fun! I love all that hot, juicy color! It doesn't need any more quilting, that would just compete with the gorgeous fabrics. And I think the binding is just right, too. It gives just enough of an edge without jarring the eye. Super job, Maureen!

And I love those views of the turquoise water! I can't wait to see some here as we head south. Crossing my fingers that our election also has the best results :)

Linda said...

Loved reading your post. Simply Red Squared is fabulous, the binding you chose was perfect. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress on Northern Lights. Yes, we were delighted to hear that Jacinda had won so magnificently. She thoroughly deserves it. Your photos of your journey home made me nostalgic for that beautiful countryside which we will miss seeing this year!

Quiltdivajulie said...

GLORIOIUS colors - your quilts and the scenes from your voting outing/garden.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Good Morning Maureen.
I love the pics of your shores. So pretty and relaxing. Simply Red Squared is just so pretty. I love the busy red fabrics together and how stunning they are. Congratulations on your election. Your Prime Minister has served you will. I can only hope that our coming election will kick the Jerk In Charge as far out as he can go.
Be well and be safe.
xx, Carol

MissPat said...

Love all your color and that Kiwi backing is delightful. I'm sure you are all relieved that your election is over and the result was to your liking. I can't wait for our election to be over and fear that it won't be come Election Day. Our incumbent has said that if he loses the election, he will leave the country. I'm not sure there's another country willing to take him.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love red so of course I love your little quilt. I love seeing the scenery from your country. There is so much for all of us to learn about each other's countries.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's nice to see the 2015 quilt you're getting ready to quilt. You asked about hand quilting... well, I wouldn't go to too much effort. Unless you plan to quilt only on the solid pieces, it won't show up. So yes, maybe accent quilting in the plain areas, but nothing more. I really admire the view you had going to/from voting. Absolutely gorgeous! Early voting began here today in Florida, USA, but we're holding off voting until next week. Long lines of people were waiting for the doors to open this morning! Silly. Early voting is through November 1, so we'll go October 31, at about 5:30 pm - just before the polls close - walk right in, and be the only ones there with the ten poll workers! That's exactly how it went for our primary, and we expect it to be the same for the final voting. The only HUGE question is "Who will be president?!" Keep enjoying quiltmaking. For me, it's what's keeping me going during this unendurable pandemic!

O'Quilts said...

Yes!!! The red quilt is just perfect. I love that pattern...soo easy and showy...I made a purple one like that years ago. You are once again, inspiring me!!xo

Ann said...

How good to see your Red is Neutral quilt. Hooray for finishing it. I've made lots of string quilts but haven't made this block. Now I'll add it to my list. My scrap bag is rapidly filling up again.
Congratulations to Jacinda and all New Zealanders. She has done a great job keeping her country safe and united.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Simply red is wonderful but Northern lights is an all time favorite. I am looking forward to seeing it all quilted.

gayle said...

I'm always delighted to see what you're doing with all these bright happy colors! You never disappooint!
(And I was also delighted that your PM won in a landslide! Happy news!)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I too, love how you put these Kaffe brights all together! Yes, good result here, but now the number of covid +ve cases is rising again, fingers crossed it's all traceable & manageable.

sue s said...

I enjoyed your blog; first time reader. Your quilts are wonderful and Northern Lights is just the right name for it! Like the others, I, too, wait for our election to be over. We did mail-in voting this year but I delivered to City Hall. I want our votes to count!

Mystic Quilter said...

sue s thank you so much for your comment, I'm sorry I can't reply directly as you are showing as a no-reply blogger, I hope you see this message.