Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, May 6, 2021

A Pocket Full of Posies and a squirrel

 A flimsy for the Quilt Along with AHIQ

A Pocket Full of Posies


and if you've been following my progress you will know that I passed on the tulips
for the centre
and went with a flower collage.
After auditioning fabrics for the border I decided to try out Kaffe's Spot collection,
the one I chose was the Autumn colourway.
I tried out various widths both narrow at 1 and 1/2" and wider at 3"neither
of which made me happy, something was missing, so I decided to break the border
into two different widths of Spot with a very narrow band of Poppy Garden,
separating them,
this was the fabric used to cut the collage. To quote Goldilocks
after tasting two bowls of porridge, she tried the third bowl and this was
"just right".

A Pocket Full of Posies is currently 45 and 1/2" square, before quilting.

Two days ago I had a visitor, yes, another squirrel


appeared in my little studio following the arrival of the book below,
which absolutely gorgeous,


in which Kaffe shows a particular quilt and I immediately
knew I had to make one, again not following strictly his colour scheme nor
the setting but doing my own thing!
I began to play with a few of my 2 and 1/2" squares and cut a few
more from Aboriginal Dot in Orchid



I'm well and truly hooked on this project, I have a few more 
currently in the "to finish" basket  of course and I'm working on a plan to
finish these up. Choosing fabrics and design I enjoy the most, quilting not so much,
hence I have approximately 23 quilts, large and small in the afore mentioned basket.

Along with patterned squares will be the fabric selection below and no doubt more will be added


but not to be included in this particular quilt will be the two new Tula Pink fabrics below.


After all the excitement of the arrival of the book and pulling out squares
it was an ideal time to take a walk around the block, 
here's the view from Sandspit Road a little further along the road from our home.


The cloud formation looks like a roll of pleated cotton wool from
a first aid box!

I'll leave you now with one of our flowering sasanqua camellias
Early Pearly


Until next time - Happy Quilting

Maureen


 




13 comments:

O'Quilts said...

You, my friend, are truly an artist. Your quilt is so perfect. I really really really love it xoxo

Julierose said...

I love the tiered borders--perfect fabric choices...
you live in such a lovely spot--that view is amazing...
Have fun playing with your new "squirrel" quilt project hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

"A Pocket Full of Posies" is gorgeous and the layered border adds just the right touch, even if it required more time to execute. A beautiful view and I love the camellia photo. I'd definitely grow them if it wasn't too cold for them here, plus the deer would probably eat them.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have the e-version of that new book and THE SAME QUILT that sent you to your 2.5" squares is the one that caught my eye, too! LOVELY finish on your AHIQ top (I do love the split border treatment). Mine is still awaiting the machine appliqué - hopefully this month. And your nature photos are balm for the soul.

FlourishingPalms said...

Ah, the quilting world is so diverse! That's the beauty of it. You're using fabrics I don't use. But how wonderful that you enjoy them so much. Love seeing your gorgeous views. Can't imagine what it would be like to simply walk outside and see a mountain (or two). Beautiful flowers too. Keep enjoying!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

What a perfect border that is! More work to make but worth every minute.

I haven't gotten the new Kaffe book yet. I'm trying to decide if I really need it.

audrey said...

I really, really like that border work! The inside print reads as a great spark for the quilt! Lovely work. I am changing up the perimeters for this challenge too. Always have to do my own thing I guess! Your new book looks like a great one!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, Maureen, you have beauty all around you. Thanks for sharing it with us. Love the border on the top- that delicious slice in it. It looks terrific. The book seems really exciting.

Leeanne said...

Your Pocket full of Posies is very pretty, I think I could tell your quilts in a line up, you have such vibrant colour choices that seem to make the design sing. Now Squirrels in NZ?? Am I missing something here?

Ann said...

Pocket Full of Poeies is fabulous! I love the narrow strip in the border. It just elevates the quilt. And your lovely center. So clever of you.
Thanks for all your help getting this QAL together. And thanks for playing along.

Louise said...

Your Posies is gorgeous! That thin middle border frames everything up Just So. I love it! And your new fabric pull is making me drool a bit :)

Kaja said...

What a lovely top! I especially love what you have done with the border,it is very clever.

Janie said...

Congratulations on your top finish! Yes, 'Just right' !
I like your solids or are they shot cottons? Very exciting colors.
And Tula Pink always the design diva.
Thanks for sharing your view and Camellia photo, lovely.