Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Getting into the quilting swing of things again - hopefully

I feel the past six months have been a nightmare on the quilting side of life but hoping that I can now begin to spend more time with my fabrics and my sewing machine.

I've been trying to really make my sewing studio organisation easier to work with and put aside one project in order to deal with a squirrel which arrived yesterday so  things must be improving!

Last post I had made the fortunate discovery of 16 patch blocks tucked away and began making more, still more strips ready to cut on my Accuquilt


I had also begun on the blocks earlier in the year on a  quilt for eldest grandson


and whilst I was enjoying stitching these I decided that with the number of 8" blocks needed I  would put on hold and go with something using larger blocks, I turned to the pattern for Slashed  Squares, tutorial purchased from Lynne at The Patchery Menagerie, made a start and love these large blocks for the initial stage. Great tutorial by the way.








The blocks you see above were the result of my time at the machine yesterday, in total I'll be making 30.

I made mention above of sewing room organisation, the room is quite small so do I really need to find another basket in my fabric racks for even more fabric??? I decided that yes, I could make a little more space and bought a few of the latest Tilda range 'Chic Escape', I have in mind a few pillows for around the place and possibly a small throw size quilt. Perhaps I'm being too indulgent and maybe feeling a little sorry for myself over the past few months but what the heck, we only live once and I ain't getting any younger.

This is my favourite



Just a few more
 
And I fell for the new Tula range Tiny Beasts, hopefully these will be here over the weekend or Monday.

Guess I should end this post here but must share with you a photo of a few regular visitors


hoping that a certain someone - guess who - will be kind enough to give them a little breakfast.
It is duck shooting season here in NZ, a practice I abhor, strong word perhaps but true for me, so we have lots of ducks around this area right now all trying to escape the mayhem. This happens each year, there are even signs here and there by the road side  - Caution, Ducks Crossing!

That's all from me, back to tidying and storing, see you soon.
Happy Quilting

Maureen


11 comments:

loulee said...

You're playing with some lovely fabrics, and you've purchased some too. LOL
Not my favourite season either, keep those quackers safe at your place.

gayle said...

Oooo! Such pretty fabrics you're playing with! Feel free to indulge yourself!
Your little visitors made me smile - I've always had a soft spot for ducks!

Nancy J said...

Love all those fabrics, and making room for more, why not, they are so tempting. Good to know you managed some blocks, I like them as they are, but the Tutorial from Lynne gives them a whole new dimension in a quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Indulge away! I am with you! I adore the way you are using Lynne's Slashed Squares - your fabric choices (as always) are excellent and so interesting to look at.

Julierose said...

Those new Tilda fabrics are really pretty; and I like your squares project a lot!!
I am in the process of de-stashing fabrics and flimsies I can no longer handle...only smaller projects for me now...and so it goes.
My DH wanted me to ask if you've heard anything about strange blue flashing lights in your skies? We had news reports about them over NZ?
Hugs for a good weekend...Julierose

audrey said...

So happy to see your beautiful new fabric! There is so much therapy in being surrounded by lovely colors and textiles. Hope you can get in the swing of quilting once again. You make such fantastic quilts.:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely to see lots of colour in your sewing room again! Love the Tilda fabrics, such a delightful selection.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A little new fabric really gives us a lift in spirits. It's always fun to see which older fabrics work well with it.

Linda said...

You certainly know how to pick - and use - gorgeous fabrics! The word “delicious” springs to mind! So pleased to hear you have a little more energy and are back to organising your sewing and sewing up some of those lovely fabrics. Glad the ducks came for a visit.

MissPat said...

Good to hear from you, Maureen, and happy that you are making progress and getting things done. After what you've been through the last few years, you're entitled to indulge yourself a bit. Happy sewing and arranging. I have to do a major studio overhaul once cooler weather arrives in the fall.
Pat

Ann said...

What a joy that you are getting back to quilting. I'm still having arm pains so things go more slowly but at least I can quilt a bit.
Your fabrics are always glorious. I must go look for some... as soon as I finish clearing my scrap bag.
Enjoy your time with the ducks.