Waiting In The Wings

Sunday, July 10, 2022

Sunday - catching up

There are quite a few photos in this post, warning you ahead of time, my intended post one week ago never happened so I'm making up for that here. Towards the end of the post I make mention of the story of a quilt back in 2015, hope you can make it that far!

Fabric: I bought a pack of Tula Pink Tiny Beast range packed with little critters and some not so little.
She also brought out a collection of tiny dots and thin stripes in bright colours, these were added to my stash.



Current Project Progress: I'm plodding along slowly with my 16 patch in yellow/orange, the collection is growing nicely, here are the latest ones and this quilt could fit with the latest prompt from AdHoc Improvisational Quilters apart from the fact that it's definitely not improv! I do have a few other ideas for something quite different though.
   

Of course I'm also working on Slashed Squares using the tutorial by
Lynne at The Patchery Menagerie. Check out the Tutorials heading top of her blog page to be directed to purchase details, you'll also see a heading for Slashed Squares Quilts giving photos of quilts Lynne has made. 

The blocks for this quilt are going together so quickly, I can't wait until I reach the 'slashing' stage.  My latest batch are below







you can find the first seven sewn  in my last post HERE. I'm going with 25 blocks in all, at least at this stage I am but I'll review that when I'm nearing the finish line.

I've been so, so lax with machine quilting tops over the past few years and at last count I gave myself a huge shock - 24!!!! Some were more wall quilt size and truly it wouldn't take long to work through basting and machine quilting although there are a few which will be hand quilted. Here's a photo of the first one up for the machine, basted now.

The Northern Lights

  This quilt was made in 2015 - yes folks it's been languishing in line all that time.  Long time readers here   will have seen it before, I first posted at the time I took part in a Quilt Along with  Cultural Fusion Quilts, this was my take on Rail Fence. I wrote the back story behind     this quilt  you can find it HERE, hope you can find time to read,  our stories behind the quilts 
 we make can be every bit as important as the quilt itself.

Books: do I need more books I ask myself, I love books as much as fabric and two new ones arrived at the door


Congratulations if you've made it to the end of this post!!!
I have an appointment next week for the cortisone shot into the torn tendon in my shoulder so
it may be another couple of weeks before I get around to posting - see you then.

Keep safe and well and happy quilting.

Maureen


11 comments:

Cathy said...

Those new dots and pin stripes glow!

Those Slashed Squares will be a glorious mix of color. They look wonderful already before slashing. Not sure I could slash!

I remember Northern Lights! It glows too. And 24 UFOs that need quilting is not bad. Trust me! My holdup is usually batting or backings because I make a lot of comfort quilts.

I haven't bought any books in a long time. Those two look really interesting.

FlourishingPalms said...

I haven't seen a Slashed Squares quilt before, so it will be interesting to see how you progress. I'm guessing that it will be a big mash-up of color, in a good way. :-) I very much like your Northern Lights quilt top. Those neon green pieces in the center really make it pop. But 24 quilt tops?! Oh gosh. I wouldn't be able to sleep with such a pile "hanging over me." I learned long ago, about myself, that I don't like the weight of obligation. So one or two tops would have me sandwiching, basting, and quilting away. I hope you are able to pare down your pile, if you're feeling well enough. Hoping for you that cortisone injection does its job.

Quiltdivajulie said...

So many gorgeous colors! One quilt at a time … the 24 will reduce itself. No worries! Off to read the back story.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I got a few of the tiny stripes and dots too. They are so different than her big "in your face" stripes and dots of past years. I love the saturated colors too.
I have at least 24 quilt tops waiting, and I think maybe as many as 30. I haven't counted lately. I don't think of them as a burden. I can enjoy then as a top too.

loulee said...

Lots of inspiring fabric and plenty to read while your arm heals. Hope all goes well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Again, loving all this Kaffe colour here Maureen! And I too have a few {!!} quilt tops hanging in the cupboard - such a pretty sight!

Linda Swanekamp said...

You have given me my color vitamins for the week. When I look at your blocks and color combos, I swoon over the fabric and design. As far as books and such- if we are not stretching, we are not growing and learning but stagnating. Praying you get relief from the shot and heal up. Thank you for taking the time and effort to post.

MissPat said...

Given what you've been through the last few years, it's no wonder you have 24 quilts waiting in the queue. I love those new Tula's, too, but I've sworn off buying new fabric until I use some of what I have already. Good luck with the cortisone shot.
Pat

Barb N said...

The slashed squares quilt will be amazing! Rest that shoulder so you can be off and running around your sewing room again!

gayle said...

Oh Oh Oh! This whole post is a feast for the eyes! Enjoy playing with all glorious color!

Kaja said...

I love those striped fabrics and they seem just perfect for you. The rest of the post is just a parade of glorious colour.