Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Serendipity

What could be better than a stunning sunrise to begin the day - 6.55am.


A busy week but not much quilting happening although I have to tell you that my 16 patch blocks using the vibrant raspberry pink found a new home in my parts box!! I had nine blocks sewn and up on the design wall, stood back to see the overall look and was horrified, the pink was still overwhelming and I just couldn't carry on. So, lesson learned and off to the parts box with ideas buzzing around on what to do next.

When I opened the box I had a nice surprise - you might remember the photo below from a September post

the beginning of an orange/red/yellow 16 patch with a hint of pink. I had stitched up five blocks and had other strips sewn and cut into rows but for some reason decided to stop, needless to say they have now been resurrected and I'm off to a good start with this 16 patch! I'm not sure how many blocks I need right now, not wanting to make a large quilt, just throw size probably. The blocks will measure 8" finished.


 That's all I've achieved on the quilting side of things although quite a bit of fabric folding and tidying has been going on.

I bought myself a new desk for my computer, adjustable height and perfect for me to rest my right arm to avoid the drag on my shoulder, seems to be working well but I can only spend short spells here.


I've spent  some time just sitting in the garden enjoying the last of the Autumn weather, we officially enter Winter today so it's going to get colder pretty soon and preparing for the change in weather Ive been hanging feeders up for the birds,  the tauhou (silvereyes) are loving the filled coconut shells. They're gorgeous wee birds flitting about like crazy.


Happy Quilting

Maureen

10 comments:

Julierose said...

What pretty 16-patches you've gotten together there...
We are, of course, entering Summer here; yesterday was quite a changeable day--started out 94 degrees and by sunset had dropped 34 degrees!! Around here it's, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute" for sure!!
Take care and don't overdo it. Nice table for your computer...
hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

How nice that you found a started project to work on.
I am rarely up early enough to see a sunrise so I'll enjoy yours, so pretty.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful sixteen patches -- not surprised these make you happier than the screaming pink. Congrats on the new desk that is body-friendly - it makes a big (BIG) difference. Thanks for that sunrise photo - it's spectacular.

O'Quilts said...

Good for you Maureen...love the colors xoxo and the pretty bird. xoxo

Nancy J said...

Brilliant pink, what about adding a sliver of lime green? Love the feeder, and what a great desk, room to rest one or both arms, and have a coffee handy. Will phone later today if that suits you.

Cathy said...

Those are some happy 16 patches! I love the color scheme. That should see you through the winter days ahead. I've never heard of the tauhou so thanks for the photo. I've never heard of filling coconut shells for birds either. And what are those pink flowers in the photo?

Ann said...

Coconut shell feeders! How cute. I'll look for some here. Or did you just make them yourself?

FlourishingPalms said...

That sunrise photo is fantastic! Such pretty colors. But I'm sorry to hear you put away your all-pinks project. Love what you've pulled out to work on though... and then got to thinking. Have you considered putting together the pinks and oranges? I'm making a pink, orange, yellow quilt (hand-pieced, so slow-going) right now, and I love the "fiesta" look of it. What would your blocks look like together? I'd sure be giving it design wall consideration. Share a picture! Nice that you have a new computer desk. Hope it helps with your shoulder. Lovely bird picture. I've never seen a tauhou before.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your 16 patch blocks are super pretty!
and so is that sky!!!

Judy Martin said...

I love the idea of a parts box.

thanks for that xo