Waiting In The Wings

Monday, January 9, 2023

A New Year 2023


 Wishing you all a belated Happy New Year.

Both husband and I have taken turns at being unwell since Christmas Day, hence no quilting, at least not until yesterday when I was finally able to head to the machine to finish up stitching Willy Nilly.  Headed off to the garden to photograph, by the time I was trying to do this inside the light in my studio wasn't the best - light in here comes from the East so only good for the morning really. Willy Nilly measures 48" x 60".

Underneath the Japanese Maple, this is such a good spot for photographing quilts, just that you can't see a flat photo on the wall, I need to carry out some detective work to find a better place inside.  Another shot with hydrangeas.



We're waiting for Cyclone Hale to hit us here in New Zealand, this latest cyclone was formed in the Coral Sea and will probably hit fully tomorrow. We've had only two or three days of Summer weather in Auckland and elsewhere in New Zealand, the rest of the time rain, rain and more rain. The ground in places is sodden, campers and holiday makers have had to abandon their plans and most have returned home.

Here's a Met Service shot of the likely scenario late tomorrow, the top of the North Island  just peeping out of the blue,  here in Auckland we're well and truly underneath the blue.


The air is cooling slightly and the wind picking up slowly, I hopped outside to cut a few flowers because inevitable the roses, dahlias - in fact anything in bloom will end up flat on the ground or still semi upright but as clumps of brown wetness!


One bright spot has been the delivery of a small number of new fabrics, a few from the Kaffe Fassett 85 and Fabulous collection, here is the black colourway of Sprays

another arrival was Belle Epoque by Stacy Peterson for Free Spirit, I fell for the rich deep blue in this one and could see it as a border fabric.


Another favourite fabric designer is Anna Maria Horner and I bought yardage of her new line Vivacious, this is not the usual weight quilting cotton but beautiful butter soft lawn, I have a blouse/shirt pattern which would be ideal for this fabric.


I'm looking forward to being at the machine for a while tomorrow, provided that the power doesn't cut out and hoping and praying that 2023 will have me free of accidents and broken bones!

Maureen






17 comments:

Julierose said...

I love how your Willy Nilly came out--so scrap-a-licious!!
Stay safe during the coming cyclone...we are having a spate of gray days and cold rain/snow here--but mostly rain here by the shore...Take care hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Willy Nilly is just as wonderful as I imagined it would be - if not even better! Your new fabrics are definite mood boosters. Sending all good thoughts that you stay safe during the cyclone - and how wise to pick some flowers before the winds/rain get too serious.

Linda said...

Sorry to hear both you and your husband have been poorly. Love your Willy Nilly quilt and your new fabrics. Beautiful! Keep safe and well during the cyclone. Happy 2023.

Nancy J said...

Your new fabrics are gorgeous, love the one for a blouse. I hope the massive rain and wind predicted bypass you and others, seems some places have it already.

loulee said...

Your quilt looks lovely there on the garden seat.
The weather forecast does look awful, I hope you're all good, home safe and dry.

MissPat said...

Willy Nilly is so bright and cheerful. Are they all Kaffe (or Kaffe Collective) fabrics? Your weather sounds just like the US West Coast, which has had storm after storm rolling ashore. We have a snow deficit right now. I live only 60 miles from Buffalo, but when they got 48" of snow at Christmas, we had less than an inch. Wacky weather everywhere.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

Willy Nilly lifted my spirits on a cold gray winter day. Such fabulous fabric you buy and have. I should give you my charge card and you can shop for me. I hope you stay well and thrive this year. The end of the year was a bit rough on me. I hope to rise out of the ashes and make things new.

FlourishingPalms said...

Hello Maureen! I didn't know that NZ ever had the possibility of cyclones. I wonder what the differences are between a cyclone and a tornado, or a hurricane. Wind direction, I think I've heard, but I don't know for sure. Still, I'm very sorry for your concerns. Having been through them myself, in Florida's tropical storms and hurricanes, I know that WAITING for them, and WONDERING how bad it will be is what causes anxiety. Be well! Now I'm thinking of another blogger I follow - RomanyQuilting - who is caravanning on the South Island right now. The cyclone looks large enough to hit both places. Yikes! Glad for you to have made fabric purchases you like and already have plans to use. That's a good shopping trip, I'd say.

Ann said...

I’m sorry you have both been sick, especially during the holidays. Glad you’re feeling better.
These cyclones, hurricanes, and atmospheric rivers are scary. So much rain in a short time and high winds when we just want a gentle rain at night like Camelot.
Willy Nilly is luscious as are the new fabrics you’ve collected. I need to look some of them up online. They aren’t in my local shops.

Raewyn said...

I hope that after the rocky start, you have a happy 2023. I think the worst of the weather has gone from Northland, here, a little bit inland, we didn't have much drama...hopefully it putters out soon!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The weather has sure been crazy. I hope it isn't as bad as it looks on the map.
Willy Nilly is one of my favorites of yours. It has me thinking I need to start a box of squares to make something like it. It could grow on a design wall in the basement that is usually empty.
I hope you have a safer healthy 2023. You need a lull in all of the medical excitement you have had.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love how Willy Nilly turned out! Love the scraps! We've had rain and wind and not too much snow. I'm afraid we'll get the snow at the end of winter when we're sick of the season. I hope you're feeling better.

Marly said...

Happy New Year!
I hope you're fully recovered now Maureen and that the storm has passed without real structural damage to your house and you. While it's a pity about the plants most of them will recover.
You have certainly found some beautiful fabrics; I would go for those bright blue tendrils too! Wonderful!
Willy Nilly has turned out beautifully, such an amazing collection of fabrics. I'm now going to catch up on your pat posts to read its history.

Kaja said...

I hope you survived the rain okay. Willy Nilly looks gorgeous and that spot under the tree, with the hydrangea in the background is a lovely setting for photos. You have some fabulous new fabrics - your eye for a great, colourful print never fails.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Sunshine here today finally! Love the green AMH fabric, so very pretty. And love your scrappy Willy Nilly too!

Janie said...

Hello Maureen thank you for sharing your beautiful flowers and fabrics! And your garden photo of Willy Nilly is gorgeous.
Glad to hear you're feeling better and I hope the harsh weather calms down before it hits you.
And Happy New Year to you and your family!

loulee said...

So glad you are feeling better, nothing worse than illness.
Your finished quilt looks great out in the garden, all those pretty colours look right at home.
The South island is on quite a different weather pattern to you Northerners, we are dry.......Th lawns are yellowing and we could do with a little rain.