Waiting In The Wings

Friday, February 10, 2023

Here we go again - Cyclone Gabrielle is heading for New Zealand

 Can you believe this?? From a category 2 it has now gone up to category 3 so Auckland, Northland (area further North than Auckland) and Coromandel a little further down and East from Auckland are directly in the firing line. We are once again in a State of Emergency for the next week, forecasts tell us that this will be a 100 yr event with 150kilometre winds,  power outage, trees down, waves up to 6 or 7 metres, and to have enough medications for one week, food for at least three days, a plan should evacuation be necessary, this would include pets of course.  The destruction will be huge as recovery is still underway from the one two weeks ago -  and still we have doubters on climate change and global warming!

Apologies for the rant, now on to quilting.

First of all a pull for a quilt pattern from  Rachaeldaisy - Across The Fields, I have a few more softer fabrics to add to these below, a few already chosen have been missed off this photo.


The quilt calls for 7 and 1/2" half square triangles and  tidying with grand-daughter earlier in the week I found a small cache of 8" already cut for some long forgotten project, perfect to trim down and use here.


Before I forget, remember Tiny Beasts  destined for Balderdash in my last post, not any more! The large squares of 9 and 1/2" were too large for the Tiny Beasts fabric, they didn't play happily at all. The small squares I had in my post were perfect so I'm going to save these for a future project.

I have another fabric pull ready for The Hannah Quilt from Erica Jackman - link takes you to her site
Kitchen Table Quilting.


I'm wanting to get on to this one asap! Lots of strips with fabrics by KF Collective, delicious colour, perfection!!

Now for something out of my comfort zone. I don't usually buy Jelly Rolls but one came up on a site here in New Zealand and the colours seemed to be nice and bright although not ones I would normally work with. These were going to be used for the Maggie Pearl quilt - link takes you to the site.
When I unrolled the fabrics they were a more subdued colour, what to do, decided to go with them. I have five blocks made and finding it hard going with a limited number of colours - 


see what I mean? It's not a huge quilt just 40" x 56" so I can hang on in there.

That's all my quilting news, with the cyclone on it's way and probably hitting fully on Sunday I may or may not be stitching, plus I have a steroid injection in my shoulder next week so it may be slow stitching for a a week or two following on from that. 

I can't end this post without mention of the horrific situation in Turkey and Syria, my thoughts and prayers are with all caught up in these tragedies who are suffering in so many, many ways.




Maureen


9 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh not another one!! Global warming for sure, Maureen--despite the nay-sayers..;(((
You have some lovely projects to start on...all so pretty...I plan to put "Orange you Glad Ojos" and "Crossroads" together and make them into one single top--we'll see how that goes...
Stay safe now and get prepared...sending good thoughts and hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

Gorgeous colours, I thought I had a huge stash, but yours is amazing. Best wishes for the next injection appointment. We have an eye clinic one for Hugh, a daughter's visit maybe Tuesday, when she is in Palmerston North for work, depends whether we get rain, gales, or both, then Dr on Thursday, for both of us. Where did that peaceful retirement dream vanish?? Too hot, today another scorcher here, younger daughter south of Dunedin says overnight single digits and lit the fire one day this week !!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Another lovely colourful post! You certainly have a great selection of Kaffes to play with, both new quilt ideas look great. I've only bought the one jelly roll, still haven't used it!

Kaja said...

Fingers crossed you manage to batten down the hatches and emerge unscathed (I was glad to read that you live on a hill).

Juliana said...

I hope you and your family/friends and whole community stay safe during this next weather event. Such beautiful fabric. I can't wait to see your progress as you begin putting all of this together.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending all best wishes for minimal damages/distress during the cyclone - I am sure you will be well prepared with lots of batteries, lanterns, flashlights, etc. (plus food and medicine). The colors in your fabric pulls are absolutely delicious. You will enjoy making the Hannah quilt (do cut your segments at least 1/2" longer than suggested in the pattern to make squaring the blocks much less stressful). Will be looking forward to your next post!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think that is what the people in California were saying when they got storm after storm. I hope you stay safe and don't lose power.
You have some beautiful fabrics pulled for the Across the Fields quilt.
You could cut some strips to add to your jelly roll project if you want more variety. The colors are pretty.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Maureen, all those fabric pulls are just luscious! Your plans are fluid and they always seem to morph into something terrific.

loulee said...

Those fabrics look beautiful. Hopefully your power will be stable and you will be able to play. Stay safe and dry.
Looks like we may get a bit wet down here too this time.