Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Lost for words .....

Most of my time over the past week has been taken up with listening to the updates, media updates from the Prime Minister and others following the horrific visit from Cyclone Gabrielle. I could write pages for a post on the devastation and loss, not for myself but for others throughout this country whose lives have changed forever. My post title  "Lost for words" is just that, I can't begin to put into words the happenings of the three days and more when Gabrielle caught up with us, suffice to say it still feels quite unbelievable.

This post will be about my achievements on the quilting side of life over the past week, which really are not much at all, but over the past two days I realised I needed to get back in my studio playing with colour and fabric and creating. I also haven't read any blogs in the past week, back to normal tomorrow.

So, the Maggie Pearl quilt with a few blocks sewn and shown in my last post. I wrote that I was finding it difficult working with the particular fabrics and it was a few words from Wanda that I could cut strips from my own fabrics  to add to the jelly roll that set in motion a new take on this quilt.


Thanks to my granddaughter tidying up my scraps I found treasured, long forgotten fabrics and an old Kaffe caught my eye so paired this with a fabric from the existing strips. I repeated the process and was pretty happy with the results. My habit of changing things up then came into play, out came more of my treasures and the softer coloured Maggie Pearl is morphing into something different, I have a few more blocks to sew and they'll be in my next post - hopefully.

My Slashed Squares quilt for eldest grandson came back from being quilted by Leeanne from Northland, I opted to go with the binding being attached also.


The backing showing the quilting design Mod Circles



and the binding - look at that super mitred corner


Oh, I bought three new fabrics and they aren't KF, quite the opposite in fact, these are by Morris & Co and are really brighter than shown here.


I found yesterday that cats are obviously pretty happy if they can find a $120 pure wool ironing mat on  cutting table, just waiting to be slept on! She was quite happy to cope with the old wooden top which is being replaced.


My garden was pretty wiped out in places but a potted hibiscus moved under the deck had a flower open, I love the scarlet feathered looking centre.


I'm off to sit and read a while but back on to Maggie Pearl tomorrow morning, back soon and Happy Quilting!

Maureen




12 comments:

Marly said...

I'm glad you're alright after the hurricane, and I hope you don't have serious material damage; your garden will recover once you've cleared the debris. I hope you have people to help you, although everyone must be in the same boat. Living at sea level I find the height of the waves lashing the NZ coast horrific. You seem to have solved the Maggie Pearl problem: good luck with that. It's good that you can find solace in your sewing.

Cathy said...

We never know when we will be caught up in some devastating and life changing events and we can only hope we have the strength to get through those times. There's no better time to sew and create anything than when you are at a loss for words.

Your Slashed Squares and Hibiscus are yummy!

Julierose said...

Love that pairing of the peach-ey colored fabrics...it's good to hear that you are back to creating; I am still fighting off the remnants of Covid and so, get very tired quickly...but hanging in here as best I can...
hugs, Julierose P.S. Stay safe...

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have been so worried for all of you … very pleased to find your post today! I absolutely adore the kitty photo … classic cat. Hooray for listening to Wanda’s suggestion - and again, so glad to have you back online.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The Kaffe #02 looks great with the peachy strip. I'm glad you are back on track with that quilt.

I like William Morris fabrics too and only have a few. It would be so easy to go crazy start collecting them too.

Your Hibiscus bloom is so pretty. Lucky it was in a pot and moveable.

I'm glad you are in an area that was safe from the devastation.

loulee said...

Good to see that you are safe and well. Of course kitty loves your pressing mat! Have fun with your fabric scraps.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the devastation caused by Cyclone Gabrielle. Sadly, it sounds very similar to what Hurricane Ian did along the Gulf Coast of Florida, last year. I suppose that's always the risk of living near to water, right? It's good you're creating and sewing, and I'm envious that you even have a personal fabric-handler! :-) That Slashed Squares quilt is great, and I love the bright dot backing fabric. Your grandson will love the quilt. Glad your hibiscus came through okay. We USED to have two six-foot tall hibiscus plants in our front garden, but a winter freeze here in Florida put an end to those. Enjoy reading, and sewing!

Elsie Montgomery said...

First time here. Love your quilt and glad that you were given that lovely flower as hope for better days. The news these days is so tough to hear, never mind be in the middle of, so glad that you can be as positive as you are and that I've found your blog. Blessings!

Ann said...

I watched internet news to keep up with Gabrielle and thought of you and your family. It's good to know you came through safely; so many didn't.
How delightful that your granddaughter straightened your scraps. Would she like to come here for a while?;-)
I, too, love the tints in your first photo but will be interested to see your changes. Congrats on getting your grandson's quilt back with binding already.
And what a joy to find the hibiscus after that storm.
All the best.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, that Kaffe is a delightful choice to go with your peach fabric. I see we are in for more heavy rain tonight :(

audrey said...

It's hard not to get caught up in world events sometimes, we have so much access to everything going on nowdays. Your slashed squares quilt is so fun and happy looking. Lots of good feels there.:)

Kaja said...

I'm happy you are ok, though of course you are still affected by what has happened in your city and in NZ more widely. I really love the Kaffe fabric in with the pink; it's a slightly unusual but really appealing combination.