Waiting In The Wings

Saturday, April 8, 2023

One top finished, a new one started

Okay, I finished sewing up the Maggie Pearl top - hooray! A boo-boo with the blue block, second row down and second block in, this I  moved to a different position in the top and the more subdued blue took it's place, DH asked could he see how it was placed originally, yes he could but then I forgot to move it back again. After a tricky day I headed for the machine and stitched - only at the last strip did I realise what I had done. I wasn't about to begin unpicking all those seams so it's staying as is.


On to my next project, one I had marked in a Kaffe Fassett book just after Quilts in Italy became available in 2016. The colour in this quilt had me hooked, ideal to bring a breath of Spring into the bedroom when Autumn and Winter hits us, as we're now in Autumn  I had better get busy with Tussie Mussie.



Isn't she (looks like a she) a beauty! Apart from the required two Mad Plaid fabrics (one will have to be a substitute) the remainder are from stash, I love this one so much I have just gone totally with KF listed fabrics. Measures 80" x 80" and required 8 and 7/8" strips as the first step, I couldn't be fussed with this measurement so mine are cut just 8 and 1/2", it's not going to make much difference at all.

Some fabrics require just one strip cut, some two strips and a couple need three strips. 

One strip of each fabric:


Two strips:


Three strips:


I shall definitely be starching before cutting, they would stretch too easily without this. A special project is coming up end April beginning of May so TM needs to under the machine within a few days. Doesn't have to be all complete before my next quilt, I like to have two or three projects on the go (understatement here, it's usually more than that).

More re-arranging and tidying of my little studio has been keeping me busy, don't know why such a small room needs so much arranging to have a better working set up. It does have to be tidy though or everything quickly unravels.

Signing off with my favourite hibiscus and an almost matching sunrise yesterday


and the hibiscus


Before I do sign off,  am I the only quilter who has noticed a heck of a lot of bloggers that I've followed for some years are no longer around, they all seem to be on Instagram, or have just totally stopped writing a blog, such a shame.

Happy Easter to everyone.

Maureen

16 comments:

Nancy J said...

Love that Tussi Mussie, and your Hibiscus, I would so like to do another thread painting wall hanging as my original pale mauve one is fading fast. Would you mind if I used your photo and started a new project down here?It would be a collaboration of blog friendships!!!p.s. I haven't found the KF blocks yet, but be assured they are here somewhere.

MissPat said...

Oh yes, the sunrise sky and the hibiscus are a perfect match and a beautiful color. Some of my favorite bloggers have moved to Instagram or Facebook (which I won't join). I find too many now produce reels with loud, annoying music. I much prefer reading blog posts. Tussi Mussie will be perfect for bringing spring into your room.
Pat

Julierose said...

I love Maggie Pearl--it really came out beautifully--nice work.;))
I have noticed fewer blog postings each day on my home page for sure.
Where have they all gone? I really haven't had much to post about in the quilting dept., but hoping to remedy that soon...I am presently trying to sort my scraps into baggies by color--w/o breaking my back!! I hope this finds you in good health..hugs, Julierose

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Hooray for the bloggers who press on! I don't care for Instagram either. My blogging has slowed to just a few posts per month, but I still enjoy doing it. And your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Now that Maggie Pearl is sewn I don't think the darker blue blocks looks bad at all. Tightening up the design with the seam allowances not there makes a lot of difference.
You and I choose a lot of the same quilts as favorites from Kaffe's books. This one is just so springy looking. There has been the same pattern but different name in pinks and blues in a couple of his other books and that is the one I have chosen fabrics for.
Your Hibiscus and sunrise are both beautiful.
I was checking out an older post on my blog and looked at the commments. Almost all of them were from people who stopped blogging in 2016 and 2017. I wonder if that is when Instagram became more popular. I always click on their links to see if they are still active and am disappointed that they aren't.

Janie said...

Congratulations on your top finish, super!
And your hibiscus photo is rich.
Happy Easter to you and your family!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am still here. I do not like Instagram as it doesn't tell me much. I have some posts to finish up, so look for them. I love the Maggie Pearl. You have the most awesome fabrics. The TM will be a refreshing sparkler.

audrey said...

Yes, like Wanda said, losing the seam allowance really helped the overall look! I like it a lot. Always such a fan of your fabric usage. Such pretty choices. Looking forward to where you go next! I am always sad to see so many bloggers drifting away. I know that I post a lot less than I used to, but definitely don't want to quit! Love to be able to read through peoples decision making about the process though the pictures can be lovely over at Instagram.:)

audrey said...

P.S. I just want to add that all of Blogger changes have certainly helped encourage the exodus from blogging. For instance, people used to be able to comment much more freely. And, where the link list is, there used to be the option to have little clips of the top pic from the recent posting. This made people jump over to check out posts more often. Now, we mostly get the title of the post and that's it, no way to change things up, Blogger just arbitrarily decides. So frustrating! How many ways is there to write an interesting blog post title, enough to get people to come take a look? hehe

Raewyn said...

Love the Hibiscus photo with its matching sunset, and wonderful finish plus an exciting new project for you to start! Yes, I've also noticed a lot fewer bloggers around. I am afaid I am too wordy for Instagram, I just cant get into it!! Happy Easter.

quiltingstories said...

It's true, as many others I turned to Instagram but I try to come back because as you say it's a shame to abandon one's blog. The combination of your quilt top is perfect as it is. I made several quilts with Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I used to love and brought from Liberty shop in London together with several books of him. Happy Easter!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Instagram started as a bright shiny alternative. But along the way the algorithms and advertising have lessened its appeal (at least for me - I've been off for quite a while now). Blogging is still the best way to share stories - which is why I keep blogging and reading other blogs. I know Blogger is very old software and I can appreciate it aging out but I hope the end doesn't come any time soon! Your Maggie Pearl turned out great and your KF TM quilt will look very different than mine (I didn't use many of the called for prints when I cut mine out). And that combination of flower and sunset - just gorgeous!!!!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your Maggie Pearl turned out great, more "you' in those fabrics & colours! And yes, Tussie Mussie has caught my attention a few times too, a super way to showcase your Kaffes! Happy Easter.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Maggie Pearl - your darling quilt - with all of your amazing colors and happy fabrics!! LOVE it!!!

Your new one will be fun too!!!

Ann said...

TM is a beauty; I can see why you want it. And yes, signs of spring always help me get through winters. Have fun.

Kaja said...

I'm actually ok with the blue block as I think it is balanced out by the far right one on the second row up. It is a very pretty quilt. Your next project looks just beautiful - I can see why this palette appealed so much to you and should keep you feeling cheerful as you head towards winter. I find I can't be bothered with instagram so much - it shows me too many ads, reels (which are not my thing) and, it seems, not much content from the people I actually joined to follow. I'd always rather read the process discussions, but I rather fear bloggers are a dying breed now.