Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Playtime with Bramble Blooms 1

 Our second round of the BB was to create the centre piece using applique,  details of the QAL are in my last post HERE, also you could visit Audrey for all the updates.

After spending a heck of a lot of time thinking up ideas I decided to go simple, flowers in a vase! I will be using my machine for the applique. My inspiration for the shape of the vase is the one below, a very old one given to me by my Aunt.

After trying a few times I decided I had the shape drawn out pretty much as the original,  next step to figure out what to put in it. Sketch pad out again and many pages used before coming up with a few shapes. I cut out and played with placement, first one was this, you can see that the fabric for the vase has already been decided. I liked the odd number of five blooms but DH said he felt the RH side bloom made  the piece look slightly unbalanced


so I added another bloom cut out on the LH side plus a little fabric practice bloom, a decision will be made tomorrow as to which setting I prefer. Next step will then be fabric play, hopefully I'll have something more to show come the weekend.


In between planning BB1 I'm plugging away at my other machine sewing, two quilts and finishing up my hand quilting. Short post this time, back soon.

Maureen






16 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, I do love that polka dot background and your vase is fabulous. It's an added bonus that you modeled it after a precious vase. And fyi - in real life my vases full of flowers often look lopsided but that depends upon where you are standing!

Julierose said...

Funny that--my DH likes things even on both sides, too--
I love your choice of a polka dotted fabric for the background...this is coming together so well--nice work hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

The vase with your dot background adds the "wow" factor Audrey wrote about. Simply gorgeous. Your flower cutouts remind me of spring crocuses in our area. A bit of asymmetry makes everything a little more like nature, it's all good!

Linda said...

Rules in Flower Arranging suggest uneven numbers of flowers, 3, 5, 7 etc so I can see why you chose 5 flowers. I like that but oddly six look good too especially if the extra one is different. Im sure that’s not how you will make it but it’s quirky!

Robin said...

What a sweet vase and how fun to include a memory with the bouquet. I, like Linda above, like both the 5 blossoms and the 6 blossoms. I guess with flowers you can't go wrong.

Nancy J said...

I like the 6, and to have a vase that is a treasure and include it's design there, a memory in a quilt.

gayle said...

The fabric you chose for the vase really captures the spirit of your aunt's vase. Lovely choice!
Are you going to stick some leaves in with the flowers? (I would in real life, so maybe in a quilt too)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great start to your centre piece Maureen. I love your colours.

Juliann in WA said...

This is going to be so fun. I love the vase fabric. I would lean toward 5 but the 6 looks good too

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a beautiful vase (real life) and I love that you are including its shape in your center panel. I like the six blooms (even though I would have started with 5 as you did). Have fun choosing your fabrics!

Rebecca in AK said...

Such a beautiful vase! I love the design you have chosen for your applique! Great fabric choices so far.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your vase! The flowers looks gorgeous! This quilt is going to be stunning.

Nancy said...

Both vases--the real one and your fabric one--are beautiful. What a sweet homage to your aunt to use her vase to reproduce the fabric one. Beautiful background, too! Together, they are bright and fun.
Whether you use five flowers or six, I don't think they will be symmetric unless you make both sides identical--the same leaves reversed--and very carefully place them. Personally, I like the first photo with the asymmetric arrangement.
Looking forward to seeing your next photos.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wonderful vase shape and interesting arrangement of the blooms. Looks like you are having fun.

FlourishingPalms said...

That vase is really nice inspiration. I like it! Is it soapstone? Your design of it, and your blooms, look good. Though, I think I agree with your hubs about the balance. That little bit of floral on the LH-side makes it look perfect. Good work!

Paulette said...

What a great background, first of all! Love the vase, both the real one and the appliqued. Looking forward to seeing your blooms; I think it's going to be stunning!