Waiting In The Wings

Friday, April 19, 2024

Back to normality (fingers crossed),fabrics, quilts and machines

The post title really says it all, after a difficult few weeks it seems that all is settling down, slowly!

Today began with another beautiful sunrise -  a good omen I hope.


I feel I have achieved something since my last post by finishing up my Lego quilt top, and I'm happy with the result.

Some of the strips are wonky - no problem, I took whatever came to hand from the bag sitting by my machine.

The bright border fabric, full of delightful four legged friends, has been sitting in my "to use one day" basket, bought many years ago when Laurel Burch was at the height of her popularity.  Placed directly against the lego blocks the whole top didn't look as magical as I thought it would, luckily I remembered the quilt made by Julie who added a narrow inner border to her Dumpster Diving  12 - Confetti top - thank you Julie! Hunting around trying quite a few fabrics and Mirage Stripe was the winner.

Here's a close up, better shot of the stripe.


During the week this book arrived in the mail


from Quiltfolk.  In February decided to join Quiltfolk - Break The Rules BOM, one live stream (2 hours) each month for nine months, a variety of speakers. Yesterday along with the two presenters was Roderick Kiracofe who gave an amazing talk on the history of his quilt collecting, also in depth information on quite a few of the quilts themselves. The book was given to the first 500 folk who registered, I was one of the lucky ones. This is the second edition with additional quilts added.

Now, you may remember from my last post the first few words in the last paragraph were 'NO more fabric buying', but I did have a small package arrive this week ordered some time ago so I'm saying that this fabric doesn't count!!


A few of the fabrics from a quarter yardage pack of Trade Winds by Kathy Doughty, I have a specific quilt on my mind, more later.

The exciting finish to my week was the collecting of my Featherweight after her visit to the 'spa', such a treat to have her back and now usable after new cable and plug, sorely needed as the original (70 yrs) had perished and was dangerous. I don't usually name my machines, this one is different, she just had to have a name.  


Athena -  named after the Greek goddess associated with wisdom, warfare and  handicrafts. The Parthenon on the Acropolis of Athens is dedicated to her and having been lucky enough in 1962  (we were sailing to New Zealand) to spend a day in Athens, explore the Acropolis and be privileged so see the Parthenon in all it's glory at sunset, the city of Athens below us, was a magical experience and still so clear in my memory today. In those days visitors could just walk along up there and explore the ruins, but now I see photos of steel steps and rails, barriers, thousands of  visitors and the creamy golden columns of the Parthenon being patched with white stone, I can understand that restoration would be needed but it does take away some of the magic.

A note here, I am happy with Athena's  association with wisdom and handicrafts - NOT the warfare. 

Happy Quilting until next time

Maureen

10 comments:

Julierose said...

I just really love your version of the lego quilt; I tried starting one but didn't like all the short bits--so your longer ones really solve that problem so well..I like that you get to "see" more of each lovely fabric your way!!
Super job on this, Maureen...
i am slowly trying to get back into "sew mode" here; taking my time at the machine in shorter bursts--it's so hard to step away when you get on a roll isn't it?
Hope your weekend is a wonderful one hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your Lego quilt is such a happy quilt. The 2 borders are perfect. That inner border is one I'll have to remember. It is not too bold, just right and so much better than a solid or tone on tone.
I hadn't seen Kathy Doughty's new line yet. I'm just getting ready to cut up her older fabrics that I have.

loulee said...

Wow, great quilt top. So very busy. Did you follow a pattern or just wing it?
Enjoy your new book.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have tabbed SO many pages in that Kiracofe book! Enough inspiration for five lifetimes. Your LEGO quilt is glorious (most excellent borders). I love it!

Janie said...

Hi Maureen! yes, Athena is lovely after her spa treatment. Good call.
And doesn't the second addition of Unconventional and Unexpected look great. I must get my hands on it somehow....
Your sunrise photo is beautiful, thanks for sharing, your finished Lego quilt top reminds me of that photo.
Have a good day!

MissPat said...

That was an excellent choice for the inner border on the Lego quilt. And I agree with Julierose that the longer lego blocks have a calming affect overall. I'm sure it's a pleasure having Athena back in good working order.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the Lego quilt with the skinny border. You are the queen of color. I fix Featherweights and old Singers- so much fun restoring them. I used to fix them for people and just ask for a donation for the comfort quilts. The lockdowns put an end to that and the customers never came back. Now, some great bloggers have sent me fabric and stuff to keep me going, so I cannot complain. I hope they put one of those LED lights in her as it is better light and cooler. The Singer Featherweight Shop sells them. I love shining and cleaning Featherweights! So good to read your post!!

Linda said...

Great to read your bog. Memorable sunrise photo,fabris, Lego quilt etc. Hope you enjoy sewing this week and find itestful
L

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great post Maureen, full of interesting bits & pieces. Glad you are enjoying sewing.

Ann said...

Julie’s solution to busy, vibrant quilt centers and border was stellar so I’m glad to see you too the idea to heart. Thanks for the closeup. The inner border is quite different than I thought.
Rod is such a delightful person and so knowledgable about quilts. When I was program chair, he was one o the people I made sure came to speak. Lucky you not hear him, too.
I have a featherweight that needs a good repair person. The last two people did some odd things to it. And I have an even older Singer in a wooden table that needs new cable and plug. I wish you were closer; I’d send them to your guys. Darn.
I wish I’d seen Greece. The crowds seem overwhelming these days. Good memory for you.